Tips and tricks for a newcomer to Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTips and tricks for a newcomer to Chengdu?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey everyone.

I like many before me have unintentionally found myself teaching English in Chengdu. Moving to China was not really a part of my plan but thats half the fun!

I am currently living in a popular youth hostel while I attempt to work out how to get settled here, but have found limited cohesive resources. So I guess my request for all others here is.. help!

I will be working in the Jinsha area and so would like to live in that general area somewhere between the city and the 3rd ring road. I am young (in my early 20s) and like to be around the metroplitan buzz – but that doesnt mean getting drunk at clubs every weekend. I would also like to live near a reputable but affordable gym if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments about this area in Chengdu?

Any other tips or tricks to getting settled here would also be greatly appreciated!

Cheers everyone

Participant

Working without an appropriate work permit and visa can lead to punitive fines, imprisonment and deportation as has happened to an acquaintance of mine recently.

Participant

Thanks Merior, I have my visa situation under control no need to worry about that.

Participant

I wouldn’t expect much western-style nightlife in the area you plan to live, but for that all you’d need to do is hop on the BRT (2nd ring road express bus) and head south. K1 buses go clockwise around the loop and K2 the opposite; those with an A at the end (K1A) skip the terminal stations. Buy yourself a bus/subway card at Hong Qi convenience stores or elsewhere around town. Save a little money and avoid having to buy a ticket each time.

Gyms are typically found in shopping centers so you shouldn’t have to look far. Expect to pay up front for 6-12 months with prices getting lower the longer you commit.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.