Traveling for Chinese New Year?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionTraveling for Chinese New Year?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Anyone traveling anywhere cool for Chinese New Year?

I was considering going to Dali but I think I’ll just take it easy in Chengdu for a week, work on some projects, and enjoy the tranquility. Maybe cycle out to Flower Town or another nearby spot.

I’m wondering if CNY in Chengdu will be a ghost town or if a lot of people will be sticking around.

I’m planning the exact same, take advantage of an already emptying city, get on with some personal projects, and chill out in an uncommonly peaceful and traffic free Chengdu. By the power of greyskull (or something) my gym is open albeit on short hours, which means I can hit that up too. Looking forward.

Participant

Haha. My gal and I are headed to Dali on Saturday for about 11 days. There were some great flight deals from Chengdu on qunar.com.

Have you been to Dali before? Could you suggest some things to do? I’m hoping for some tranquility out there as well.

Participant

Going to Harbin to get the winter feeling again, it seems spring already in Chengdu

Participant

Going to beijing and then harbin as well.

@ vincent when will be in harbin? I will be there from the 10 th until 13 th. if ur there in the same time, we could catch up for a drink 😉

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Have you been to Dali before? Could you suggest some things to do? I’m hoping for some tranquility out there as well.

Yeah, been to Dali many times, good place. Spend some time in the nearby Cangshan mountains if you can, a famous temple there is called Zonghe which is near some guesthouses. Otherwise you can rent bicycles or ride houses around the area. A few years ago I rented motorcycles with friends and we spent an entire day riding all around the lake through minority villages which was incredible, but I heard that a foreigner did this and crashed a bike a few years ago and now it’s more difficult to do this. Hot springs are fun also (the place is called 下关温泉).

Oh, and check out Bad Monkey. The most famous bar in Dali, run by two Englishmen named Scott and Carl. If you see a 35 year old with enormous dreadlocks inside it’s probably Scott, say hello for me. They brew their own beer called Bad Monkey which you can get there, too.

Quote:
    Going to Harbin to get the winter feeling again, it seems spring already in Chengdu

Are flights up there cheap during this time of year? That sounds like a fun trip.

Participant
    Quote:
    Oh, and check out Bad Monkey. The most famous bar in Dali, run by two Englishmen named Scott and Carl.

Saw a Discodeath and a Justcharlie sticker in the toilet haha, nice bar indeed. I was there mid-January. A very relaxed town. Stayed in 5elements guesthouse which I really liked. Also a nice thing to do is ride your bike around Erhai and in the small villages next to it.

Participant
    Quote:
    @ vincent when will be in harbin?

I’ll be there from the 11th till the 14th, so let’s meet up for a drink.

Quote:
    Are flights up there cheap during this time of year?

Not really cheap, think it was 3000 yuan for a roundtrip. But before/ after Spring festival the prices should be better. I heard the ice festival is really impressive, so this was on my to go list for a while.

Participant

I’m going to Hainan to breathe some air.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.