Tuesday 1/14, Chengdu Business Connection

HomeForumsIn ChengduTuesday 1/14, Chengdu Business Connection

• This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Almost forgot to post this. Hopefully see everyone tomorrow at Sabura, a new African restaurant and bar just opened near Sichuan University. The usual turnout is over 100 people, so hopefully some familiar and new faces tomorrow for this informal and free monthly event:

Details:

Chengdu Business Connection is a free monthly networking event in Chengdu. Join Chengdu’s No. 1 monthly, informal and FREE networking platform for our January event. This month’s event will be at Sabura African restaurant near Sichuan University. This is a great chance to try some delicious African food and meet some new friends.

欢迎来参加成都商务关系网一月份的活动,我们每月在成都受欢迎的场地之一举办非正式并且免费的社交平台交流活动,诚挚邀请大家的加入!本月活动将在四川大学附近Sabura非洲风情餐厅举行。这将是一次结识新朋友,品尝非洲特色食物的好机会。

❖Chengdu Business Connection January Mixer

Time: Tuesday 14th January, 6.30pm-10pm

Venue: Sabura Restaurant, First ring road South 1st Section No9-5 Kai Yue New Town (On the downstairs level. Beside Green Light bar, not far from Victoria Hospital/Hong Wa Si bus stop) Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NtMNs

Price: Free (Open Event)

❖成都商务关系网每月交际活动(一月)

时间: 1月14日 18:30-22:00 (周二)

场地: 萨布拉餐厅,一环路南一段9号,凯悦新城附5号(绿光酒吧旁) 地图:http://goo.gl/maps/NtMNs

门票:免费(公开活动)

* This event is open to all and entrance is completely free. This event is a great opportunity to meet new friends, network and enjoy an evening of great conversation and new contacts. Sabura Restaurant will have a special menu and great discounts on food and drink for all attendees:

成都商务关系网的活动对公众开放,完全免费入场。它将是大家结识新朋友,建立人脉关系的绝佳机会。希望大家尽情享受,无限畅谈! 所有参加者均会享受萨布拉餐厅提供的特制菜单以及饮品食物的折扣。

Specials: Drinks from 20 yuan and Food from 30 yuan.

活动特价:饮品20元起,菜品30元起

Keymaster

Sounds great, added this to the January Events thread.

Participant

Can’t make this meeting but interested in this restaurant. Anyone been there? What kinda African food? Sounds promising….

Participant

Hi Ray,

They’re still in their soft opening stage at the moment so the menu is changing a lot. I’ve eaten there 3 times and been impressed with the food so far. The owner Carlos is from Guinea, but the menu has a mixture of foods from various African countries. I’d definitely recommend checking it out, and you’re welcome to come along tonight if you’re free.

Participant

I’d like to see what kinda food they have also – all I recall from trying to find ‘local’ restaurants in several African countries is ending up with masalas and stews, or colonial-country-handmedowns 😀 Except Egypt, they definitely had distinct local cuisine, and damn egyptian fast food is *THE BEST EVER*

Participant

One of the dishes I tried was a Lamb stew which was really nice. I’ve never been to Africa so I don’t really now much about African food, but I’d be happy to put you in touch with Carlos if you’re interested.

Participant

Close enough to check out some time, was mostly curious because I never really found anything that good in sub-saharan Africa that could be considered local food and made me think “Mmmm, would love some of that right now!” 😀 but if the restaurant has positive feedback, worth checking out, unfortunately not able to attend the event though, hope it goes well.

Participant

I’ve heard good things about it so far, I’ll update you after the event!

For this evening’s event, anyone interested in joining but not sure about the location can add me on Wechat (ID: UKMichael) and I’ll send you the map.

Participant

Any feedback about the food? I went there today, but didn’t eat. First impressions were not so good 🙂
    *waitress gave us the scared rabbit look when we entered (maybe I’m scary)
    *place was empty (the place is new, so that’s not a criticism)
    *opened the menu: pizza. Turned the page: pasta, French fries. Seems they do everything, even tho the sign says “African Food”. Chef is multi-skilled 🙂
    *asked is the chef African?: “he’s Chinese but was taught by an African”
    *ordered a dish: “That’s not good”. I respect the honesty. 🙂
    *we decided to leave with an open mind. Im still holding out hope and I would absolutely try this place if others have recommended it.
    Oh yeah, easy to find: it’s the old Lazy Pug location.

Participant

Wa.. *strikes off list* 😀

Participant

@Rick in China: dude, wait for feedback. Open mind. At least they were playing African music, and they had dried grass above the counter 🙂
    Put a pic of Drogba on the wall, you’re half way legit 🙂

Participant

@Ray It’d have to be mad stellar. Beyond stellar. Chinese chef who was ‘trained’ by an African (in China I presume?) and includes pizza, pasta, and fries on the menu (burgers too I presume?) is a little suspicious as to authenticity, no matter how much grass is above the counter, can I ask why you didn’t try anything? Seems weird to check out a menu for a restaurant you’re interested in, while there, and not at least try some apps or something 😀

Participant

Hey guys,

The owner is definitely African, a guy called Carlos. I think they’ve included some standard western stuff to avoid alienating their Chinese customers with too many exotic dishes. Most of the dishes on the menu are African.

Personally I can recommend the Chili dish, really tasty. I had a lamb dish which was good too, not sure if it is still on the menu.

Even the places we all love like the Pug have Chinese people doing the cooking, so not really sure if the nationality of the chef is very relevant.

Anyway, on a positive note. I think as a foreign minority here in China, we should try to support fellow laowai who get their shit together and create something. And at least try the food before passing judgement.

Participant

@RicK in China: didnt try cos I invited and it was on my dime 🙂 You invite me, i order big. Plus upstairs has a really good Chinese place.

@Michael
    M: agreed. I was having a laugh but I’m sincere in giving the place a try, and based on your recommendation I will head there soon. That’s why I didnt post a separate thread reviewing this place, cos I didn’t actually eat there. Not a foodie: my standards are pretty low.
    Sorry for “yelping” 🙂 🙂 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.