University Vets – Did You Mail Original Documents?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionUniversity Vets – Did You Mail Original Documents?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been offered a university position just outside of Chengdu, and the Visa process is off to a rocky start. First the school started off with requesting just the original copy of my health exam, now they are asking for my degree and other items.

I’ve already sent them digital copies of everything they’ve asked for. Veterans at other expat forums insist original documents do not have to be mailed, and I tend to believe them. However I do know rules vary by province and I was willing to cooperate with the medical check despite this delaying the process. Then came the requests for other items, so I told them I may not be able to accept the position after all due to these requests. One of the staff is supposedly looking into it, but I may have already shot myself in the foot by pushing back too hard. Sigh…at least I have other options but not in Chengdu.  :\

Participant

Apparently it’s a new-ish rule that they need the original copy of your College Degree. Pretty stupid seeing as though you can forge it locally, but that’s what I’ve been told.

Participant

I dont know if its a new rule, cos i was told i needed my original degree a few years ago. I thought it was kinda dangerous to send from home, as it coulda got lost. What i did was get a high-quality copy of it made from a scan (in color, cos it has a big red wax stamp on it) on good paper, and that was sufficient. Some of the better photocopy shops can do it really well. I think it cost 3 kuai!

Damn. I did mine and it cost 50 kuai (because of the gold foil seal).

Qualification

Participant

But Ziich, when the price of gold increases you can remove that gold foil and sell it at a profit…

Participant

Yeah we just gave good quality copies. The PSB won’t be able to tell the difference.

Participant

I should’ve mentioned I’m in the states and coming over for the first time. Fortunately they’ve backed down on the other docs and just need the health exam now. Still going to be a hassle to send xrays and all the other stuff, but I’ll play the game for now.

I’ll still have to bring my degree when I arrive, but that was expected. Thanks for the replies.

Participant

If anyone is curious, I shipped my docs off last week. As luck would have it the package got hung up in customs (it was supposed to be delivered today), I think because we used a very low dollar amount for the package value. They assumed it was some sort of product being imported, but after some phone calls and emails to fedex the package seems to be moving again. I’m getting really nervous as the school is telling me it’s going to take upwards of 12-15 days to get the Visa paperwork once they submit my docs to the proper authorities. In the same email they’re telling me they start their summer vacation on 7/11. 

Something tells me I’m not going to get my Visa until the very last minute, which puts me in a pretty crappy spot. Sigh…trying to stay positive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.