How to Get a Drivers License (Updated)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow to Get a Drivers License (Updated)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi folks. New to the forum. I’m looking at getting my license as I’m in China a lot and being able to drive would be a game changer for a lot of my activities. I’m two weeks into a 90 day VISA. I will head to Shanghai next week for a couple of weeks and then return to Chengdu. I’m wondering if I should try to quickly get a test tomorrow, try in Shanghai, or wait until I get back to Chengdu?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Participant

Ah – looks like the answer was in the forum. Must be in the city I have my VISA registered, so Chengdu it is. I’m not sure my VISA will pass muster, but I’ll give it a shot I guess. I’ll try and pull all the things together before I head to Shanghai. Running…

Participant

You need to get your drivers license translated into Chinese , then give yourself a Chinese name as no English names appear on Chinese drivers licenses. If your using a iphone buy the app called “drive in china” it has all the questions and answers and you can practice on it. I think it was 2$ when i bought it 2 years ago. Then go to write a written exam for the license .I hold a C1 (car license) and D (any motorbike including 3 wheeler s license).  You have to go to hospital and check your eyes and they also check if you have 10 fingers and take a picture of your hands. Also more than a half a small beer can land you in jail for 15 days. Dont run a red light that can make you loose your license. Also dont go over 50% the speed limit that can also land you jail time. The people here have different driving habits so be careful. My Chinese drivers license is valid for 6 years, i think everyone else’s ones must be the same.

Participant

Thanks for the tips! Especially the app. Trying this week as I gained a few extra days here.

Participant

Hi.

Thanks for all the great advice. Is there a Chinese local contact in Chengdu that assist foreigners with obtaining their license. Want to avoid potential complications in the process.

Kind regards

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.