Urbanization in Chendgu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionUrbanization in Chendgu

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dear All,

I plan a travel to Chengdu in July/August of this year. I am interested in urbanization and especialy in this phenomenon in Asia. I am searching some places, areas or districts where I will can see some examples of this urban changes in Chengdu.

Thanks in advance if you can help in my search 🙂

Best,

Pierre

Participant

hi i was originally from chengdu, but i study in Pennsylvania USA. Im very very interested in chengdu’s urbanization. do you want to do business there? or just want to travel in chengdu for a while.

There aren’t too many places within Chengdu that aren’t at least skirted by this ‘urbanisation’. One idea might be to spend a few days travelling to each Metro stop and investigating the surrounding areas. Much of the development is tied to the locations of these stations, and the locations of future stations on the yet to be constructed lines. If you were here for a length of time you could even consider buying an electric scooter and working your way through various areas of the city. There is plenty to keep you busy for some time.

Participant

The high tech zone is a pretty good example of what’s happening, the whole area is literally appearing from the ground up which is really amazing to see.

There’s also an planning exhibition center in the High Tech Zone which has been mentioned before.

Dear All,

Thanks for your replies.

@apple : For now, I will only travel in Chengdu and its area, but I am open to talk about any business!

@Brendan : thanks for the tip. I will be there for a month and half. Because I am not staying so long, I will try to rent a motorbike if it’s possible. Any advices ?

@Michael M : Thanks. I will check this out!

By the way, I am a french photographer and for my travel I am looking for a room to rent for a week or two (I will also go to Chongqing). If you or people you know could be interested, please let me know!

Thanks again for your replies.

Pierre

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The high tech zone is a pretty good example of what’s happening, the whole area is literally appearing from the ground up which is really amazing to see.

This is a good suggestion – the architecture around the high tech zone (and on the way there) is pretty incredible. It’s a lot bigger than “downtown” Chengdu.

Also, good thing you are going to Chongqing, that is a must-see. I was going to suggest that. Chongqing is one the most insane urbanization experiments I’ve ever seen. I literally have never met anyone who is actually from Chongqing, yet there are so many millions of people there. Chengdu has history going back thousands of years (paper currency was first used here) but Chongqing is not like that at all.

Participant

Chengdu’s also got a rising fixed gear trend. Some link this to cities urbanizing to the brink of disaster. Watch out now.

Participant

Hightech zone and further south is very interesting to see the modern development happening in chengdu. I work and live here and i have seen buildings growing up very fast. It has Huge shopping malls (that seem to be empty most of the time),office buildings and residential towers all over the place.

Other interesting zone to check the urbanization could be towards the north west of chendu until Dujianyan. There are few satillite towns (like pijian) in between, which comes under chengdu as the masterplan says. They are growing quite fast from the last few years (lots of projects being going on and lots more in progress) and are supposed to get included into urban chengdu in the near future.

Good luck.

P.S. sorry if i spelled the chinese names of the places wrong 😉

Firstly, I would like to say that I appreciate a lot the time you take to help me in my project.

Now, I have a quite precise idea of where I am going to put my camera.

I’ve lived for a year in 2008-2009 in Hanoi, Vietnam. There, urban processes are entirely copied on Chinese ones, which is not surprising as we know the relationship between those two contries. Off course, the urbanization in Vietnam is much much smaller but it can gives a good overview of what is happening in China. Thanks Jacob Klink for the link to the social consequences of that urbanization, it’s something hard to perceive and maybe to understand for a western foreigner like me…

@Pardhu : I check those district (?) in ggle maps, thank you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.