Urgent….Work Visa in Hongkong

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionUrgent….Work Visa in Hongkong

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone. Need some help.

I want to apply for work visa. Is it possible for a foreigner to apply for work visa in Hongkong? Has anyone done that recently?

I checked on the website and it says not possible and I have to go to my home country for work visa. But some of my colleagues found some information (in Chinese) and they think I can do that in HK.

Any suggestions?

🙂

i’m not sure how it works individually, but my company is sending me to hong kong this sunday to get that same thing done. I’ll ask around and see if they have any info on how you can do it on your own

Participant

Hi Nick. Thanks. I have some hope now 🙂

Check ur PM.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I want to apply for work visa. Is it possible for a foreigner to apply for work visa in Hongkong? Has anyone done that recently?

I haven’t done this recently, but I’ve gotten work visas in HK many times. The exact rules depend on the type of visa that you’re applying for (F or Z) and your nationality. For an F visa I believe that you might require an invitation letter from the company that you’ll be working with if you go through official channels (the government visa building in Wan Chai). You can often get an F visa in HK from private companies but these are sometimes unavailable. Visa laws in China are sketchy and always changing, basically. In general, F visas are not as easy to acquire as they used to be.

If you’re in doubt I would have your employer handle it or get in touch with Shan Shui Visa.

Participant

Thanks Charlie. I will be applying for Z visa. I will go try and see how it works out next week.

Participant

I’ve applied for a Z Visa in HK a couple times and have always found it to be a pretty painless experience.

Participant

Z in HK? I’m going next week, haven’t had to do the entry/exit for years..but post-court ish seems to require it. Curious, can you use a valid work permit or do you require the whole invitation letter etc? What if you’ve already got a signed contract and valid work permit…I imagine that’d be enough, but no idea if HK embassy side needs different materials than local renewals

Participant

The last time I got a Z Visa from HK I handed in the invitation letter and other documents with the application. It was for a new job, not existing employment, I don’t know if there is a way around that or not.

Participant

I was in HK two weeks ago. Got a business (F) visa. was told you cannot buy Z (working) visa. The cat at Japan Travel, the agency who handled it, said “no way” without a legit invitation letter and foreign experts certificate. If you have those, they can handle the paper work for you (lining up at the Chinese consulate can be a nightmare) but they can’t supply one…

Participant

You never could really ‘buy’ a Z visa, had to have paperwork from company – means they generally need to end up paying taxes/gov’t on your behalf for social fees.. but I’m just not sure if the doc requirements in HK are different from local renewal, but..that being said, Ray, where did you pick up your F visa (where is Japan Travel?) and how much was it, 6month multiple or something else? Would be nice to have a backup plan 😀

Participant

Paid 2000 HK, same day (go morning, pick up at 6) for 6 months. Dude, it is ridiculously easy (literally, no questions asked). Address:

http://www.jta.biz. They’re located about 10 mins walk from the dreaded Chungking mansions. I think all i needed was a photo (maybe not even that, can’t remember)…

Participant

Thanks for the info Ray. Glad to hear F visas are as easy as they were pre-olympics 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Paid 2000 HK, same day (go morning, pick up at 6) for 6 months. Dude, it is ridiculously easy (literally, no questions asked). Address:

http://www.jta.biz. They’re located about 10 mins walk from the dreaded Chungking mansions. I think all i needed was a photo (maybe not even that, can’t remember)…

That is seriously great to hear. Thanks for providing this info! I’m looking at getting a Z-visa but with a 2,000 HKD 6-month F visa available in Hong Kong, I will seriously consider that as an alternative. I hate all the hassle and paperwork of the Z-visa and would love to avoid it.

Participant

Thanks for sharing Ray.

I knew about the same option for 3k.

Gotta go there in Jan.

Participant

Btw !

Wouldn`t it be easier to go to HK via Shenzhen?

May there be any problems with Shenzhen visa, crossing the border or anything else?

Participant

It’s pretty easy to go from Shenzhen to HK and usually much cheaper to fly in to SZ. Crossing the border should be no problem as long as your visa isn’t expired.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Btw !

Wouldn`t it be easier to go to HK via Shenzhen?

May there be any problems with Shenzhen visa, crossing the border or anything else?

Yeah, basically everyone flies to Shenzhen and then crosses the border to Hong Kong. You can fly direct to HK, but prices are usually much higher. You can also fly into Zhuhai, which is also right near HK.

Participant

Thx guys!

This may change my route plans 🙂

Participant

If flying to Shenzen

The best place to cross the border is at Lo Wu, but this border will close at 11:30pm. Also the last shuttle bus to Lo Wu from the airport is at 11PM. If you arrive after 11pm a shuttle bus is still available to Huang Gaung border 24hr until 11:30pm.

Shuttle Bus

You have two choices you can buy a ticket all the way to Hong Kong or just to the border.

(it’s more convenient to take the first choice).

Take the shuttle bus to the border crossing. Once you have crossed immigration the bus attendant will inform you were to wait for your connecting bus and will give you a token or ticket. Make sure you have filled in your departure card.

The Shuttle bus will stop at the following places, Mong Kok (Kowloon), Tsim Sha Tsui(Kowloon) , Central (HK Island) and Causewaybay (HK Island).

What to do in the Embassy

Make sure you get to the Embassy early, as you will have to wait in line outside.

The Embassy has two lines one for collection and application. (Make sure you’re in the correct line)

Once inside go to the 7th Floor were you will be given a ticket. All you have to do is sit and wait. (Bring a book or newspaper to read)

After you have submitted you application the (friendly) staff will inform you what time to come back the next day and give you a receipt.

Remember if you submit your application in the morning you can collect next morning.

When you arrive the next day go to the collection line.

Once inside you must pay first.

The payment counter is on your far left once you have paid they will give you a receipt.

Then you must stand in the collection line. (I made the mistake of not paying first, many people do this.)

Make sure you check your visa before you leave the counter.

Participant

Much appreciated for the details !

Seems that the price difference atm is pretty minor:

Return CD – HK = 1970 rmb

CD – SZX = 1870 rmb (fnetravel) Edreams, btw, was surprisingly even more expensive.

Any suggestions for some other sites?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.