VIP Broadband Access for Foreign Websites

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVIP Broadband Access for Foreign Websites

• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

After discussing and reading a lot of content regarding internet speed and other related topics, it seems most of the foreign internet users face the same issues when it comes to browsing websites hosted out of China.

It is slow as f***, no matter the broadband you subscribed to.

I just came back from Shanghai yesterday, and some of my coworkers there told me about China Telecom VIP access. Basically, if you add 50 RMB/month to your current plan, it dramatically increase your internet speed for foreign websites. Console users can even play online with their friends back home on the PSN and XBLive.

Sounds great! But I can’t find the information on China Telecom’s website… Do you guys know something about it ?

Participant

I’ve been told the exact same by a guy in Beijing. He said you simply need to give them a call, choose the English language option, and ask for the upgrade.

I tried calling recently but there was no English option and then I kinda just forgot about it.

Keymaster

I haven’t heard anything about this, but I would pay 50rmb a month for faster access to foreign sites in a heartbeat. I already pay like 300rmb or something per month for 100mb/s internet at home. Hopefully someone here has info on this.

Participant

Someone in Shanghai told me it is not on their site, and available upon request when you call their customer service. However, that someone also told me he’s been asked 200rmb for the option although all our other colleagues only paid 50. Ahem.

Aside from that, it also appears there are some large disparities in Chengdu regarding the actual bandwidth we are getting. I’m paying 169rmb/month for 50mb/s, and I get around 250kb on the good days. A friend of mine pays 100rmb for the same service, with the same provider, but gets an average of 800kb/s. Do you know something about this too ?

Participant

If all that has to be done is call the English service, why not call and find out? Update here please. 😀

Participant

Definitly keeping an eye on this too.

I recently moved to the tongzilin area, subscribed to the 100Mb optic fiber with china telecom, it’s ok most of the time I get a good 20Mb behind astrill when connecting to japan / taiwan, it can get slow at time thougth.

I’ve heard about the VIP / international option it’s very obscure and sounds like the holy graal :p

Some have reported it’s called 国际精品网 and that you need to go to CT with your passport.

Other said it’s only for companies.

I will call CT tonight and let you know if I can find anything about this.

Someone in Shanghai told me it is not on their site, and available upon request when you call their customer service. However, that someone also told me he’s been asked 200rmb for the option although all our other colleagues only paid 50. Ahem. Aside from that, it also appears there are some large disparities in Chengdu regarding the actual bandwidth we are getting. I’m paying 169rmb/month for 50mb/s, and I get around 250kb on the good days. A friend of mine pays 100rmb for the same service, with the same provider, but gets an average of 800kb/s. Do you know something about this too ?

PSA: There is a difference between bits and bytes.

The internet plan you purchase is usually measured in Megabits per second (Mbps). 1 Mb (Megabit) is equal to 125 kilobytes (kB). There are 8 bits in a byte, so divide bits by 8 to get the equivalent in bytes.

So a 100M connection theoretically would max out your data transfer rate at 12.5 megabytes (mB) per second.

Your 50M connection would be maxed out at 6.25 mB per second, but there are other factors at play that would affect your actual transfer rate, like the upload speed of the source, are you using a VPN, network traffic at the time, the capability of your hardware (router, network card), the strength of your WiFi signal etc.

Participant

Also Ping is what generally what matters in China ^^ ( Aka the times it takes you to contact a distant server ).

Keymaster

I’m paying 169rmb/month for 50mb/s, and I get around 250kb on the good days. A friend of mine pays 100rmb for the same service, with the same provider, but gets an average of 800kb/s. Do you know something about this too ?

Something is definitely wrong if you’re only getting 250kb/s. A friend of mine (Ben on the forum, who’s probably reading this) has 100mb fiber at home, same as me, but gets up to 11mb/s download speeds. Mine aren’t that fast, but pretty much anything I set to download is done really quickly. On a 4mb connection which I used for years, I would get around 500kb/s. This all adds up pretty much exactly with what Chris said above about the breakdown between bytes and bits.

Participant

I have a 100mb connection with China Telecom, I can download at 1.5mo/second at time behind Astrill, I’m paying for the VIP option which allow you to connect to faster server and I believe that’s what’s giving me the boost.

Participant

Didn’t had time to call CT yet, but found this  :

http://sh.189.cn/biz/zzyw/kdywl/gjjpw/

So the “International offer” definitely exist. I wonder if it’s available for CT customer in Chengdu thought.

Participant

Ok I just called CT today, I can confirm that they don’t know about the option here , and that it’s not available in China Telecom Sichuan yet.

Keymaster

Ok I just called CT today, I can confirm that they don’t know about the option here , and that it’s not available in China Telecom Sichuan yet.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Participant

I have a 100mb connection with China Telecom, I can download at 1.5mo/second at time behind Astrill, I’m paying for the VIP option which allow you to connect to faster server and I believe that’s what’s giving me the boost.

I did ask on saturday for this service and they replied to me, only available to business

Participant

only available to business

I’d be curious to ask what their requirements for constituting ‘business use’ are, what sort of documentation is required etc.. or can it be ‘weaseled into’ as a service for foreigners who claim to use the internet for their own business ie. working remotely etc. I plan to head to a CT soon also, will see what I can find out.

I’d be curious to ask what their requirements for constituting ‘business use’ are, what sort of documentation is required etc.

I assume they mean that you need one of China Telecoms extortionately priced business connections. I will investigate and report back.

Participant

To avoid the confusion : there is two different things

The astrill VIP option which is available to any customer that have an Astrill account is allowing you to connect to VIP server in order to get a better ping and a slight boost ( that’s what I was talking about in my message ).

The China Telecom VIP/International option which does not seems to be available for consumer in Sichuan.

I assume they mean that you need one of China Telecoms extortionately priced business connections. I will investigate and report back.

I can confirm that this is available to business customers in Chengdu. It requires an IP address change and a minimal charge, 100RMB/month in our case. We will probably give it a try soon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.