Vipassana Meditation Group

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVipassana Meditation Group

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I just completed a ten day meditation course using this technique in Hong Kong over the holiday. Im feeling amazing and want to keep it up so Im interested whether there is anyone else, besides myself and Gavin, here in Chengdu that have tasted the wonderful benefits of Vipassana and would be interested in starting a weekly group meditation.

May all beings be happy,

Nele 🙂

Keymaster

I’m down to join. I might know some others interested, too.

Where would you want to do this?

Participant

Hey Charlie, this technique requires you to have done the course where they teach you the details and also provide you with ample time to test it out without all the outside distractions so its not a typical meditation technique. But a regular meditation group is also a great idea! Lets see whether there is any more interest 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hey Charlie, this technique requires you to have done the course where they teach you the details and also provide you with ample time to test it out without all the outside distractions so its not a typical meditation technique.

Required to take a course before you can start meditating? I’ve never heard of that before. I grew up around Zen and started meditating with my father when I was 8-9 years old. I thought you were talking about a weekly meditation group. Chengdu has had a few of them over the years.

Participant

My brother did a course last year and said it was “borderline life-changing”. He really recommended Vipassana highly.

I’d also be down for attending a meditation group.

Participant

My brother did a course last year and said it was “borderline life-changing”. He really recommended Vipassana highly.

I’d also be down for attending a meditation group.

Participant

I’d be down as well. I did some in college and loved it. Don’t know if it requires a “course” though ;P.

Participant

I’d be down as well. I did some in college and loved it. Don’t know if it requires a “course” though ;P.

Participant

Hi,

I’ve been practicing for 12 years and have attended 5 vipassana retreats. I am definitely interested.

Participant

Hi,

I’ve been practicing for 12 years and have attended 5 vipassana retreats. I am definitely interested.

Participant

Thats great, Larry- is your brother in Chengdu? I have the same feeling about Vipassana, however, the 10 days definitely did change my whole outlook on life.

Jenise, Ill PM you and we can look into a time that suits all of us.

Theres tons of different ways of meditating, Charlie. Zen is a cornerstone to Vipassana actually, however, Vipassana takes it a step further and requires a qualified teacher to teach it to you. Its always taught for free and beginners require a 10 day course initially, however, already finished students can take courses up to 45 days in some centers.

Wonderful! How should we go about finding a suitable place and time for interested parties for regular meditation?

Participant

Thats great, Larry- is your brother in Chengdu? I have the same feeling about Vipassana, however, the 10 days definitely did change my whole outlook on life.

Jenise, Ill PM you and we can look into a time that suits all of us.

Theres tons of different ways of meditating, Charlie. Zen is a cornerstone to Vipassana actually, however, Vipassana takes it a step further and requires a qualified teacher to teach it to you. Its always taught for free and beginners require a 10 day course initially, however, already finished students can take courses up to 45 days in some centers.

Wonderful! How should we go about finding a suitable place and time for interested parties for regular meditation?

We’ll have to chat about this Nele next time you’re diggin’ me for nutritional advice! No bananas!!

We’ll have to chat about this Nele next time you’re diggin’ me for nutritional advice! No bananas!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Vipassana takes it a step further and requires a qualified teacher to teach it to you.

Can you describe what this step further is? I have never heard anyone claim that meditation requires anything more than the will to meditate, nor of any qualifications. Out of curiosity, who is the qualifying party – is there a recognized authority on meditation? Sincerely curious what you have learned.

Quote:
    No bananas!!

Carbs? Too much sugar?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Vipassana takes it a step further and requires a qualified teacher to teach it to you.

Can you describe what this step further is? I have never heard anyone claim that meditation requires anything more than the will to meditate, nor of any qualifications. Out of curiosity, who is the qualifying party – is there a recognized authority on meditation? Sincerely curious what you have learned.

Quote:
    No bananas!!

Carbs? Too much sugar?

Quote:
    No bananas!!

Carbs? Too much sugar?

Pre-workout no no!

Quote:
    No bananas!!

Carbs? Too much sugar?

Pre-workout no no!

Participant

Hey Brendan, I dont know if I can give to the banana 😀 but I look forward to a chat with you again soon!

Hey Charlie, if youre interested, theres plenty of resources on the internet about Vipassana. And its true, you can practice different meditation techniques by yourself. However, reversing bad habits from applying the technique wrong is a waste of time. Thus learning under a teacher the correct way from the beginning is both practical and saves you time, especially since you take ten days initially to really dive into this reality.

Participant

Hey Brendan, I dont know if I can give to the banana 😀 but I look forward to a chat with you again soon!

Hey Charlie, if youre interested, theres plenty of resources on the internet about Vipassana. And its true, you can practice different meditation techniques by yourself. However, reversing bad habits from applying the technique wrong is a waste of time. Thus learning under a teacher the correct way from the beginning is both practical and saves you time, especially since you take ten days initially to really dive into this reality.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.