visa age requirement

HomeForumsGeneral Discussionvisa age requirement

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey, quick question. I’m 21 and am looking into teaching English in China. I keep being told (by people who are not experts) that you have to be at least 24 to get the appropriate visa. Is this accurate? I checked the consulate websites and am still not sure. Also, I would want a z visa, right? Thanks so much.

Jason Valerii

Keymaster

I’m no expert, but I really don’t think it will be an issue for you. It’s pretty routine to see English teachers who aren’t native speakers (from Europe and South America, etc) and they seem to get along just fine. If someone doesn’t respond here and confirm this 100%, I’d check eslcafe.com for a definitive answer. The demand for English teachers is very high here and I think you’ll have no problem finding a job though.

thanks for the reply. Chengdu looks like a great place to live

I think the only requirement, beside a job offer, is some kind of higher education qualification. They are always screwing with the requirements for the work/residence permit though. So I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they instituted an age limit.

Participant

age limit sounds like BS, but i agree with Ben, you NEVER KNOW. The only people who can answer this question are the actual PSB officers at the municipal entry exit bureau. and you have to go there in person. emails, websites and phone calls will only confuse you. Your eventual school will handle this for you. If this is your first time, then get a job at a school, let them handle all the bs, get situated, then make yourself independent (if you so choose) after 6 months to a year.

Participant

Man, i don’t think you’ll have any problem, but last year at my school the other foreign teacher, a cat about 60, left. The school told me that Chengdu PSB (always notoriously tough) wouldnt issue a working visa cos he was too old, that this was a new law in China. Anyone know about this>

BTW: i would agree with what Sascha says. Get a feel for the place, find a decent school, but going independent always felt comfortable for me. Man, i miss the good old “buy any visa in HK” days…Such a sweet, innocent time…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.