VPN Advice?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVPN Advice?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m coming to China next week and just wondered if I could get any advice on VPN’s, do you recommend that I get one before I come, could anybody recommend one and also tell me a little bit about how they work.

Would I need one for my laptop and phone?

Thank you!

Louie

Participant

The government have just started a major purge against vpns so it is probable that anything that has been working here won’t be for much longer particularly if people publicise any that they are happy with. The use of any vpn service that is not authorised by the Chinese government has just been made illegal. Which ones are legally registered is anybody’s guess but it’s safe to assume that they would be aimed at commercial users such as banks etc. rather than available to the general public. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-just-declared-unauthorised-vpn-160150309.html Penalties for use have apparently not been spelt out.

Keymaster

ExpressVPN is strongly recommended. Also check out SocketPro.

The government have just started a major purge against vpns so it is probable that anything that has been working here won’t be for much longer particularly if people publicise any that they are happy with. The use of any vpn service that is not authorised by the Chinese government has just been made illegal. Which ones are legally registered is anybody’s guess but it’s safe to assume that they would be aimed at commercial users such as banks etc. rather than available to the general public. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-just-declared-unauthorised-vpn-160150309.html Penalties for use have apparently not been spelt out.

The recently announced law specifically applies to businesses in China and says that the legislation will go into affect in January of 2018. The situation for VPN use in China is certainly not great but their use is still incredibly widespread.

Participant

Cheers Charlie. I stand corrected. After the level of harassment last year using a vpn I dropped my subscription and am managing without it but I do find I get consistent issues with unexpected sites for unpredictable reasons as they were never an issue using a vpn. Very irritating!

Keymaster

Cheers Charlie. I stand corrected. After the level of harassment last year using a vpn I dropped my subscription and am managing without it but I do find I get consistent issues with unexpected sites for unpredictable reasons as they were never an issue using a vpn. Very irritating!

Your advice is good, though: try to keep VPN information on the down low when you can. Browsing the internet without a VPN in China is tough, I recommend always having one on when visiting this site, for example. Many sites which aren’t blocked will perform slowly in China without a VPN because they embed blocked elements into posts and pages – things like Google Fonts, Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, WordPress.com, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.