VPN Discounts for Black Friday

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionVPN Discounts for Black Friday

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

If you don’t have a VPN, now might be a good time to get one. CactusVPN is offering 50% off for this week, with prices as low as $55 a year, which comes out to just over $4 a month. This is a low price and I’ve tested CactusVPN pretty extensively and haven’t had a problem with it. They also advertise: We want you to be able to watch Hulu and BBC at the same time. We want you to be able to download torrents and listen to Pandora simultaneously. And all that with the option to hide IP. This is possible if you have the “US, UK, NL VPN” package from CactusVPN.

Here’s the link to check it out: CactusVPN Lifetime Discount

Unfortunately their domain is blocked in China, so you’ll need to use a free or paid VPN temporarily to sign up. Thought I would post this information here anyway though since I know some people are looking for VPNs.

Participant

How do they compare to StrongVPN?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    How do they compare to StrongVPN?

I’ve never used StrongVPN before, but everyone says it’s great and I believe that. CactusVPN has been reliable and fast enough for me, I will say that. You pay more for StrongVPN and I would expect more, like servers specifically selected for users in China.

Participant

I’m using StronVPN and it’s a good and fast service, but like Charlie said, it’s expensive!

I pay $55/year for strongvpn; pptp US/UK. Can pick from a wide range of servers. Speeds are fast enough to stream youtube in 720/1080.

EDIT: $55/year now gets you access to servers in Washington D.C., San Francisco, New York, Miami, London, Livingston, Canterbury, Manchester, Rugby, Maidenhead, Nottingham, Toronto, Amsterdam; 181 PPTP servers in 13 cities in 4 countries

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I pay $55/year for strongvpn; pptp US/UK. Can pick from a wide range of servers. Speeds are fast enough to stream youtube in 720/1080.

It seems like that is the go-to VPN service, then. Thanks for posting this info. That is nuts that you can stream 1080p Youtube.

Participant

I just download off youtube. Sometimes streaming 1080P could take forever, downloading is better.

If anyone is looking for StrongVPN, i can send referrals! PM me with your email :).

Also StrongVPN has great customer service and there are hosts of locations to choose from, pending on your package (i am on the 85 per year package). I’ve been on the San Fran server for ages now.

I use a Maidenhead UK server. Streaming 1080p from the office is no problem. Occasionally I have to pause it for 5 seconds at the beginning, but after that it plays without issue. I can only do 720p from home.

On a related topic, I found a sweet squid proxy server installer/configuration utility for OS X the other day called SquidMan. Just click to install, set your network IP address range and you’re good to go. A really quick and easy way to share your VPN with people on the same network.

Participant

I posted a screenshot while on StrongVPN in the speed thread – downloading GuildWars2 at 650+ KB/s *while* smooth streaming YouTube 1080p. It was a happy day with good speeds, *sometimes* it’s not so fast. However, I stream youtube daily, sometimes I do have to bump down the res though, and I use the SanFran servers.

Best thing I’ve found with StrongVPN is the support. If you have any issues their live chat has been great every time I’ve used it – fast response and very very high level of customer support, try it out.

edit: I’m using the “20mbit” CT home connection now, seems torrents download at accumulations of over 1 meg/sec consistently

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m using the “20mbit” CT home connection now

You lucky bastard. What’s the cost on that?

Participant
    Quote:
    I’m using the “20mbit” CT home connection now

What? Since when is it available? Last time I asked them was about half a year ago and they just laughed at my question. Impossible they said. 4Mbps they said.

Participant

Same cost as 8mbit now. It just depends if your apartment supports it – also, they have 100mbit for 600+rmb/month…again, if your place supports it. The advertisement on the package says 8mbit, but I think that’s just an old brochure, because when I asked about the 20mbit package and they said it’s the same cost, I was a little baffled..I guess it only depends on the apartment supporting speeds thing and not many support 20mbit yet.

I got the iTV package and they upgraded me at the same time. 169rmb/month for 1 iTV unit, 20mbit connection, 3 free cell phone #/cards, and I think some other ish mixed in..and initial set up cost for the units is all free (about 380rmb for the iTV setup) if you buy a 900+rmb phone on annual package. Good time to get the set up and pick up a 2nd (or new, if you hate your phone) cell right now.

I did this at the location not far from Ren Min Nan Lu on 1st ring road.

edit: I found the point of the receipt stating that it changed my connection from adsl 3mbit to fiber 20mbit, although my connection previous was fiber 8mbit their database is an ancient piece of shit and almost none of the data was accurate 😀 it seems it’s 20mbit down 1mbit up caps.

20mbit.jpg

Quote:
    What? Since when is it available? Last time I asked them was about half a year ago and they just laughed at my question. Impossible they said. 4Mbps they said.

You can see if your complex has fiber here, if it doesn’t then you can vote to have it installed. You will require 50 votes from unique residences to have them upgrade your complex.

My complex has recently been upgraded, although it hasn’t been fully completed. They have run fiber to the junction box which sits just within the side gate, but haven’t wired up the buildings yet. Even so the difference is huge. Latency of ssh connections is low and consistent and I’m getting an extra 100KB/s on my downloads.

Participant

RE: “You will require 50 votes” — in other words, print out fliers, and paste them on every resident’s door..

Participant

Rick, if I give to you a LAN cable, long, really long, can you share with me your internet line? I pay you don’t worry… ahahahahah

Participant

Federico, I’d be perfectly happy to share ‘net with you, maybe we can hack together a couple highly amplified uni-directional antennas with pringles tins, mount them on our complex’ roofs, and spread the internet speed love 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    You can see if your complex has fiber here, if it doesn’t then you can vote to have it installed. You will require 50 votes from unique residences to have them upgrade your complex.

Wow, thanks for posting this info! Unfortunately I don’t think there are even 50 units in my building.

Quote:
    Federico, I’d be perfectly happy to share ‘net with you, maybe we can hack together a couple highly amplified uni-directional antennas with pringles tins, mount them on our complex’ roofs, and spread the internet speed love 😀

Let’s build a Chengdu Darknet. Between the people who have posted in this thread alone, I think we can manage it.

Participant

Pringles Antenna! never tried but some friends said to me works fine… about darknet, why not, it’s a big project but maybe we can try do this… a question if for private/community use, in China can to be a problem make a darknet?

P.S.

StrongVPN have really a nice support!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.