vpn vs proxy redirect

HomeForumsGeneral Discussionvpn vs proxy redirect

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am curious if a proxy redirect will achieve the same as a VPN. Do you happen to know?

arlene

Keymaster

The difference as I understand it is basically this: a proxy will route web browser traffic whereas a VPN will route all traffic. Most people only need browser traffic routed (to reach blocked sites) but with a VPN you can route traffic used by other applications. Many proxies (like Freedur) also offer VPN access.

Participant

They don’t necessarily achieve the same.

A proxy is primarily used to hide your IP or location from the site you are connecting to in order to make them think you are somewhere else or to get around some filter that blocks that site. It doesn’t necessarily increase your security again 3rd parties eavesdropping on you though.

A VPN encrypts all your traffic through a tunnel so it can’t be spied upon and also has the same effect as the proxy since any sites you access see the IP/location of the network you are connected to via VPN instead of the network you are physically on.

Personally, I already use a VPN here in the US when I’m on open/public/untrusted networks so I’ll probably just continue to use it when I’m overseas so that I can access things like Netflix that are limited to US & Canada.

I would always opt for a VPN first to cover my browsing, but for downloading substantial files (particularly P2P) , a proxy might be of benefit. I would personally allocate the proxy to my torrent client, and use the VPN for browsing.

Damn you Chinese internets!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.