Wanted: Open Source Software Speaker

HomeForumsIn ChengduWanted: Open Source Software Speaker

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m looking for a speaker for the next “Chengdu Entrepreneurship Meetup” to be held on Nov. 20, 2013 @ 7:00 pm at the beer nest.

I’m looking for an entrepreneur (can also be an intrapreneur or a tech enthusiast) who is building software on an open source platform.
    I’m hoping to have the November meetup themed “An introduction to Open Source Hardware and Software” We already have a speaker who is going to talk about building open source hardware.

Anyone interested in sharing your knowledge?

Participant

This is interesting. Looking forward it!

Keymaster

Will developing things for Raspberry Pi be among the topics?

Participant

Charlie are you offering to do a 15 minute talk on Raspberry Pi?

Keymaster

Charlie are you offering to do a 15 minute talk on Raspberry Pi?

I would rather learn than teach about the Pi, but I could do that. I think Alexander is more knowledgeable on actual coding for the Pi but I wouldn’t mind speaking about the device itself as far as what it does, how it works, it’s potential in everyday use, etc.

You guys need Niklas up in here.

Participant

Niklas is not good at holding talks 🙂 Plus I don’t have as much hands-on experience with Raspberry Pi and open hardware as I’d like. Yet. Will totally attend this.

Participant

Actually script language got lots of open source project.

Participant

I’ll be there. It seems as though you’ll have plenty of attendees, but no speakers. I’d love to learn about the Raspberry Pi. Alexander, get up there!

Participant

I’ll be there. It seems as though you’ll have plenty of attendees, but no speakers. I’d love to learn about the Raspberry Pi. Alexander, get up there!

I know, its freaking awesome!! I think most topics may come from DIY area. And now, only one hardware speaker. Callum, wanna talk about open source Windows RT? haha

Participant

Charlie wrote:

I would rather learn than teach about the Pi, but I could do that. I think Alexander is more knowledgeable on actual coding for the Pi but I wouldn’t mind speaking about the device itself as far as what it does, how it works, it’s potential in everyday use, etc.

If I can’t find anyone else it would be great if you could just do a brief introduction to the product and it’s innovative potential.

One of the underlying themes for this meetup group is building cool things be it a website, solar panel or a damn good beer. I think it would be awesome if you could share your story about how you came up with the idea for chengduliving.com and built this online community from scratch.

These open source platforms allow access to tools to build things in your garage or apartment that would have be unimaginable 20 years ago. That’s what I’m trying to display from this coming event.

Participant

We are using those Open Source Software everyday without contributing any. I am sorry…
    As for Raspberry Pi, mini2440 may be a better choice for many.

Participant

Does anyone have experience with the arduino? seems similar to the pi. Anywhere I can pick either up in Chengdu?

Participant

Does anyone have experience with the arduino? seems similar to the pi. Anywhere I can pick either up in Chengdu?

They’re not that similar. Raspberry Pi is a tiny computer that you can run a full-scale operating system on, while Arduino is a micro-controller that you can load programs onto.

Arduino is great, but if it’s for messing around with I prefer Raspberry Pi because there’s so much more you can do with it. If you know what you wanna build and Arduino is cut out for it then go for Arduino.

I don’t know any store selling them in Chengdu, but on taobao.com a Raspberry Pi is around 250 RMB and Arduino depends on model but something like 50-150 RMB.

Participant

you can buy Arduinos that are “Made in china” with a really cheap price on Taobao, and lot of other accessories include in the pack.

Keymaster

Anywhere I can pick either up in Chengdu?

Not sure about the Arduino but there are RPi sellers in Chengdu. The easiest place to find them is Taobao – search for the Pi and sort by Chengdu and they’ll come up. One guy specializes in the Pi and sells all the different models with all the accessories.

Participant

cheers. I’ll try taobao

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.