Web Meetup

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeb Meetup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A friend and I are thinking to start up a monthly web meetup here in Chengdu to talk about web apps and SaaS business. SaaS stands for Software as a Service. We each both operate 1-man SaaS companies.

We are thinking the meeting would consist of the three elements:

1) talk by guest speaker on a topic related to web application building and SaaS business and how a particular problem is solved (perhaps 40 minutes long). possible topics: current profitable SaaS players, Rails app building, MooTools javascript framework, hosting, user interface design, SEO, billing systems

2) 5 minute scheduled presentations to allow people to share what web app/SaaS projects they are working on (max 4 presenters)

3) open ended mingling/networking time

When I lived in Honolulu we had a group http://www.manoageeks.com/ which held a similar monthly meetup. Made lots of contacts there and at other tech events. I even made introductions to people who then got jobs and I got a job myself through a contact made there. Benefits all around.

We’re thinking to have the group English speaking primarily but give it a Chinese name. Since we are in China what do you think of calling it Wang Luo Jiao (网络角) a spinoff of English Corner (英语角)? Maybe if lots of Chinese-only speaking people come then at some point we could get an interpreter.

Another question is whether it would be better to host it in a corporate office or make it more casual and have it in a cafe with free wifi. What do you think? Either way we’d need to have a LCD projector, screen and wifi.

Any web developers on here that would be interested in attending or presenting at such a group?

Keymaster

Sounds over my head. What kind of web apps do you guys develop? I’ll show this to some folks I work with who are programmers (Objective C + Ruby).

Participant

Hey Charlie, I develop a web app which is a membership database combined with a content management system for publishing a website which is developed using PHP, MySQL and Javascript. My friend has a source code versioning service. His framework of choice is Ruby on Rails. Thanks for showing this to your developer friends.

Participant

Anyone around still in Chengdu for a web meetup? I develop for the web and would love to have a chat…

Keymaster

I’m around and would be down to meet sometime. There’s another thread about this with a meetup on August 30th.

Participant

Cool, sounds nice… Back in Chengdu in a few days, so whenever is fine…

Participant

Hi guys, our next meet up will be next week Tuesday night 7pm.

Chengdu Cloud Club

Topic: Javascript Primer

Interested in enhancing your web sites and web apps with Javascript? Come to a short presentation on using Javascript frameworks (with MooTools as an example), a few great Javascript plugins, best practices for keeping Javascript from slowing down page loads and examples of how you can start writing your own Javascript.

For directions and to register go to:

http://chengduyun-august-2011.eventbrite.com/

Keymaster

Registered. I sent the link to friends also.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.