Weekend in Chengdu for gay tourist?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWeekend in Chengdu for gay tourist?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I’m visiting Chengdu for the first time on the weekend of May 28th. Any suggestions what should I see/museum/parks/places recommended to see?
    Also is there a gay scene or recommended nice bar or cafe I could go to?
    Thanks!
    Ben

Participant

Hi Ben,

There is indeed a gay scene in Chengdu, one of the largest in China. In part because many in the Chinese LGBT community are not (fully) out, though, it can be kind of difficult to navigate. Probably the most popular gay hangout (for men) is MC Bar. It has a fun vibe—loud!—a nice outdoor patio, and you will almost certainly be approached quickly by locals for a chat or invited to smoke/drink with them. As with most gay spaces in China, it is generally more for socializing than for sex. (Like the West, China has it’s own apps for that!) Have your Wechat up and ready. Most lively on the Fridays/Saturdays, in my experience.

1/F Haicheng Dasha, Tianxian Qiao Bei Rd / 成都市天仙桥北路6号(东门大桥旁)海成大厦1楼

There’s also a gay sauna next door, MC Sauna. There are also several other clubs and bars in that part of town, some gay-oriented.

Hope that helps!

j

P.S. While I’m here: skip the more famous parks in favor of the “bamboo park”, Wangjianglou (望江楼公园), near Sichuan University. It’s gorgeous—a sanctuary for hundreds of rare bamboo species—and not so crowded that you can’t enjoy yourself. Order a cup of tea by the pond.

Participant

J! Thank you so much for the tips, very kind and helpful! Looking forward to visiting Bamboo park sipping tea by the pond!

I am travelling solo so nice to know that people would chat to tourists, looking forward to knowing the City and its people better!

Ben

Participant

@j_hoke
    Hey, Justin, I though I heard some friends said the MC was closing down. Not so sure about that though. Anyway, the bamboo park is a excellent pick! [thumb] 🙂

@beneshikot

Well, in my own experiences, I believe the Max is ALSO a exciting night club to go to. It’s newly decorated, very popular, the music and the live performances are terrific. It’s 10 min walk from the given location above, and right next to the subway station.

As to the day activities, don’t miss the pandas, as well as the spicy hot-pot. The pandas are these huggable giant round fur balls, and the hot-pot would be a naughty challenge to your stomach. Don’t worry, in most cases, these would turn into good memories about your visit here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.