Weekend Trip Recommendations

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeekend Trip Recommendations

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I want to get out of the city next weekend, probably for one night. Can anyone recommend a good, interesting place to go that won’t be more than 2 hours out of Chengdu? All I require is good food, bit of peace and cheapish accommodation.

Not too keen on Emeishan or Leshan, would prefer a pretty town or a cabin in the woods or something. Bonus points for easy public transport access.

Participant

Qingchen shan back mountain.

Participant

I’ve planned a trip to qingchengshan(青城山) next weekend, but it will be just an one day trip.

Last week I went to Huanglongxi(黄龙溪), a nice place, not that far, and there are plenty cheap rooms, too. If you like flying, D, you can even take an air-glider over the town…….

Keymaster

Qingcheng Shan would be my top place also. Stay there for a night and come back the next day. The front part of the mountain (前山) has more temples but the back part (后山) is more peaceful.

In Qingcheng Shan city there are hot springs which are great, also.

I just came back from a 2 days trip from tang Jiang He in Qing Chuan. Place is goooooooorgeous, just too damn far. 5 hours by car. Great place for photopraphors. I wanna go back next summer.

Quote:
    Qingchen shan back mountain.

Second that. The mountain is beautiful, the air is clean, and you’ll find good eats and tea spots both at the foot, and midway up the mountain. You can take a train from North Railway station (I forget the stop), just a 40 minute train ride, then transfer to a minibus for a hair-raising ride up the mountain side! It may also still be free to enter the mountain pass, while construction work continues on rebuilding the damage created by the earthquake.

Participant

If you really want cabin the woods I’d suggest Maine or Vermont. The closest you’d get to that feeling here would be in the Tibetan areas of Aba or Danba which are a bit far and very very cold right now.

Echoing the common consensus, Qing Chen “Hou” Shan is quite nice. I need to plan an escape soon as well.

Keymaster

At the graffiti event in Chengdu I was talking with Dan about Jiuzhaigou. You can get cheap flights out there in the winter since Chinese tourists aren’t willing to bear the cold. The cold seems manageable and it’d be great to check it out for a weekend and get photos. I’m trying to do that in December.

Participant
    Quote:
    You can get cheap flights out there in the winter since Chinese tourists aren’t willing to bear the cold. The cold seems manageable and it’d be great to check it out for a weekend and get photos.

This sounds attractive, but roughly how much do the flights cost?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This sounds attractive, but roughly how much do the flights cost?

Normally they’re pricey but I think in the winter he said it’s somewhere in the range of 500-1,000 round trip from Chengdu.

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will check out the mountain.

I have heard that nearby Pingle you can stay in cabin type accommodation in the woods.. can anyone confirm this?

Participant

Pingle is quite nice during the week or in the night when the teeming hoardes head home. On Saturday and Sunday, it’s a circus…dont know about cabins but some small hotels along the river are kinda nice

Participant

Cool, thanks RAY. How long does it take to get there generally? Would I go from Xinnanmen?

Participant

If i remember, i think about 2 hours….? If you hate it (possible) you can keep going to Tiantai Shan. That’s what i did…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    How long does it take to get there generally? Would I go from Xinnanmen?

It’s 90km so it’ll take just over an hour probably. The fastest way is to take the bus from Jin Sha Bus Station which takes one our to Qiong Lai City and from there you can get to Pingle which is another 20km.

Quote:
    I have heard that nearby Pingle you can stay in cabin type accommodation in the woods.. can anyone confirm this?

I haven’t heard about cabins but that might be available, or 农家乐’s (bed and breakfasts). I’ll ask Sascha and send him a link to this thread, he might know.

Participant

Yeah I would guess that “cabins in the woods” are actually “farmhouses near the fields” – In terms of straight woods, the valleys to either side of Jiuzhaigou are nice options. Charlie and I stayed in one one night. The day my boots blew up. Outside of Danba, Siguniangshan and Woolong you can find straight wilderness. I have a number for someone who does wilderness/river tours, will post that when i get home.

Participant

If you’re out by QingCheng Mountain one of my favorite places is right at the base of the front mountain – at the Howard Johnson hotel there… they’ve got an awesome hot spring in the evenings. The problem is the BBQ is only *sometimes* there. It used to be 100%, but I was there a couple weeks ago and they said occasionally they don’t open it up due to lack of business.

The best thing about this hot spring is the many small pools where you can essentially get a very cool outdoor evening fresh air hot spring with your own little group or couple, it’s rarely so busy that people go to pools where other people are already at – and each pool is lushly surrounded with nice trees/rock/scenery… chill place.

I can get you coupons on line for a 2 days hot sprign trip to Emei Moutain, 5 stars hotel hot spring. RMB500 including accomodation and breakfast FOR TWO. Emei town has great food. Actually, we can do a group trip. Who’s in?

Participant
    Quote:
    I can get you coupons on line for a 2 days hot sprign trip to Emei Moutain

Could you post a link to that coupon?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.