Weibo to Require Personal Details in March

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeibo to Require Personal Details in March

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

99% of Chinese people don’t use Facebook/Youtube/Twitter for there have another simple reason they don’t speak English.

If Chinese speaks English, then I believe lot of things will change.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    99% of Chinese people don’t use Facebook/Youtube/Twitter for there have another simple reason they don’t speak English.

I don’t think that’s the reason. Facebook and Twitter are both in Chinese and both have many thousands of Chinese users in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, etc. Everyone I know in Hong Kong or Singapore is on Facebook and about 80% of them are on Twitter also. Facebook and Twitter have both been long localized into Chinese for those users, too.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I don’t think that’s the reason. Facebook and Twitter are both in Chinese and both have many thousands of Chinese users in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, etc. Everyone I know in Hong Kong or Singapore is on Facebook and about 80% of them are on Twitter also. Facebook and Twitter have both been long localized into Chinese for those users, too.

Participant

Thanks. Charlie.

Understand it 🙂

Participant

Thanks. Charlie.

Understand it 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Thanks. Charlie.

Understand it 🙂

Are you on Weibo? Will this rule affect your usage of Weibo? What about your friends, do you think this new policy will change anything?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Thanks. Charlie.

Understand it 🙂

Are you on Weibo? Will this rule affect your usage of Weibo? What about your friends, do you think this new policy will change anything?

Participant

@Charile

Yes, I am on Weibo. It’s a place where I always read some interesting things there.

If this rules start I think I still will use Weibo, the new rules will affect some information change for sure, but I don’t think information will gone completely.

For example, did you noticed those account who have a yellow V next their name ? Everybody know who they are in the real life. they actually keep upload information these days, why they will stop do it under the new rule, since they already do it now. Which means news still will come even when new rules use.

And one more things is Chinese have they own tricky to say things. which need a little bit skill about it, but some people are very good about this, they even use Ancient Chinese古汉语 to write a news. It is fun and interesting to find out real meaning in the article.

Like my post before, I have put a Ancient Chinese article there, I think if a Chinese spend little time with it will understand my meaning immediately.

Participant

@Charile

Yes, I am on Weibo. It’s a place where I always read some interesting things there.

If this rules start I think I still will use Weibo, the new rules will affect some information change for sure, but I don’t think information will gone completely.

For example, did you noticed those account who have a yellow V next their name ? Everybody know who they are in the real life. they actually keep upload information these days, why they will stop do it under the new rule, since they already do it now. Which means news still will come even when new rules use.

And one more things is Chinese have they own tricky to say things. which need a little bit skill about it, but some people are very good about this, they even use Ancient Chinese古汉语 to write a news. It is fun and interesting to find out real meaning in the article.

Like my post before, I have put a Ancient Chinese article there, I think if a Chinese spend little time with it will understand my meaning immediately.

Participant

I use Weibo occasionally. I’ll register. I don’t really care if Weibo has my name/passport #, that’s extremely easy to get hold of anyways..

The thing about internet “privacy” is, if you don’t want to reveal your information then don’t use the service.

In regards to part of the original question, what will happen – I’d wager nothing. I’d wager many people will still register and use their real information. I don’t think the majority really care. Lots of people say they care, but still use Facebook religiously with their own information voluntarily without any ‘force’ by an external source – now there’s an example of death to privacy.

Participant

I use Weibo occasionally. I’ll register. I don’t really care if Weibo has my name/passport #, that’s extremely easy to get hold of anyways..

The thing about internet “privacy” is, if you don’t want to reveal your information then don’t use the service.

In regards to part of the original question, what will happen – I’d wager nothing. I’d wager many people will still register and use their real information. I don’t think the majority really care. Lots of people say they care, but still use Facebook religiously with their own information voluntarily without any ‘force’ by an external source – now there’s an example of death to privacy.

Participant

Here is a short article from yesterday in the China Daily which touches on the unclear regulations for foreign Weibo users.

It also says:

Quote:
    Weibo, a Chinese Twitter-like service, will require anyone registered after March 16 to provide their real identities to post or forward micro blogs.

So maybe anyone currently on Weibo won’t even have to worry about the new regulations?

Participant

Here is a short article from yesterday in the China Daily which touches on the unclear regulations for foreign Weibo users.

It also says:

Quote:
    Weibo, a Chinese Twitter-like service, will require anyone registered after March 16 to provide their real identities to post or forward micro blogs.

So maybe anyone currently on Weibo won’t even have to worry about the new regulations?

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.