Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some foreign fashion victims here too. At panda last sautrday night Danielle and I were entranced by a foreign guy, shaking his thing. Cat was wearing stone wash jeans, circa 1988. Each to his own right? But these stone wash strides were just a wee bit too tight, a wee bit too short. We have christened this guy “Stonewash”…highlight of my night.

Speaking of kitchen cleanser, i use imported Cif…for the sake of manliness, maybe we shouldn’t go there….

Participant

@Ray

It’s a ‘point out the ridiculousness in China’ forum topic with humor or shocking moments attached. My remarks were said tongue-in-cheek. Suck it up cupcake!

Participant

@Ray

It’s a ‘point out the ridiculousness in China’ forum topic with humor or shocking moments attached. My remarks were said tongue-in-cheek. Suck it up cupcake!

Participant

Is China is perfect place? no! I think it is not. I have lot’s of time feel confusion about this place too, it’s like i don’t understand it, the people here i also don’t understand, it’s kind of funny, because i born at this country.

The answer not easily to found.

But i suggest you be put all of this things at side , don’t think about it. Yes, it is ugly! yes, it is funny, yes, it is sometimes strange. But please reamber, if you are upset by those things, you would not happy. They didn’t change, and you are not happy!

Our body is like a empty bottle, what make your decided put in this bottle is most important things, if you put happy feeling in this bottle, then your have happy life, if you put unhappy thing in this bottle, you would not happy.

you are all guest here in China, but most of you maybe one day still want to back your home country, why not just forget bad things, try to remember beautiful things? You have spend money,and time here, so just make this money and time worth it. 🙂

Hope you all have good experience!

Participant

Is China is perfect place? no! I think it is not. I have lot’s of time feel confusion about this place too, it’s like i don’t understand it, the people here i also don’t understand, it’s kind of funny, because i born at this country.

The answer not easily to found.

But i suggest you be put all of this things at side , don’t think about it. Yes, it is ugly! yes, it is funny, yes, it is sometimes strange. But please reamber, if you are upset by those things, you would not happy. They didn’t change, and you are not happy!

Our body is like a empty bottle, what make your decided put in this bottle is most important things, if you put happy feeling in this bottle, then your have happy life, if you put unhappy thing in this bottle, you would not happy.

you are all guest here in China, but most of you maybe one day still want to back your home country, why not just forget bad things, try to remember beautiful things? You have spend money,and time here, so just make this money and time worth it. 🙂

Hope you all have good experience!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Some foreign fashion victims here too. At panda last sautrday night Danielle and I were entranced by a foreign guy, shaking his thing. Cat was wearing stone wash jeans, circa 1988. Each to his own right? But these stone wash strides were just a wee bit too tight, a wee bit too short. We have christened this guy “Stonewash”…highlight of my night.

I remember that guy, hahaha. Those were some super tight jeans.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I remember that guy, hahaha. Those were some super tight jeans.

Participant

@Linka RE: “why not just forget bad things, try to remember beautiful things?”

I think you’re misreading this kinda conversation. It’s not saying “Xxx home country is perfect, China has these flaws:” — not at all, it’s saying “This is some of the weird shit I’ve experienced while in Chengdu/China” – that’s it. Don’t read more into it. Regardless of where someone lives, they will have ‘weird experiences’ – since weird is a relative term, so a thread like this could exist in literally any XxxxLiving. Hope this helps you to get that it’s not a foreigner rag on Chengdu thread by any means. Many of the people here have lived here for many years, and sometimes it’s just fun/relieving to vent and share common ‘weird’ experiences with others who may also find them weird.

That being said, let me give you something that may put this in perspective:

When Walmart first opened here I went with some friends to check it out. We happened upon the meats/seafood area. What we saw was an old lady instructing what looked like an 8? year old girl through her process of kinda squat/spread pissing while stand/crouching over one of those long drainage vents along the floor. Nothing like seeing a girl pee into a drain in the seafood area to make me want to buy a nice slice of tuna, what the fuck.

Now, if you had told me that story happened in, say, Cleveland Ohio, I’d believe it did. Does it make it less of a crazy/disgusting/WTF? moment? Of course not. Just because we point out something about Chengdu doesn’t mean we’re saying it is Chengdu Sucks! Rest of the world Rocks! — that would be insanity 😀

Participant

@Linka RE: “why not just forget bad things, try to remember beautiful things?”

I think you’re misreading this kinda conversation. It’s not saying “Xxx home country is perfect, China has these flaws:” — not at all, it’s saying “This is some of the weird shit I’ve experienced while in Chengdu/China” – that’s it. Don’t read more into it. Regardless of where someone lives, they will have ‘weird experiences’ – since weird is a relative term, so a thread like this could exist in literally any XxxxLiving. Hope this helps you to get that it’s not a foreigner rag on Chengdu thread by any means. Many of the people here have lived here for many years, and sometimes it’s just fun/relieving to vent and share common ‘weird’ experiences with others who may also find them weird.

That being said, let me give you something that may put this in perspective:

When Walmart first opened here I went with some friends to check it out. We happened upon the meats/seafood area. What we saw was an old lady instructing what looked like an 8? year old girl through her process of kinda squat/spread pissing while stand/crouching over one of those long drainage vents along the floor. Nothing like seeing a girl pee into a drain in the seafood area to make me want to buy a nice slice of tuna, what the fuck.

Now, if you had told me that story happened in, say, Cleveland Ohio, I’d believe it did. Does it make it less of a crazy/disgusting/WTF? moment? Of course not. Just because we point out something about Chengdu doesn’t mean we’re saying it is Chengdu Sucks! Rest of the world Rocks! — that would be insanity 😀

Keymaster

– Drinking beer out of miniature glasses

– Everyone sleeping with their heads on their desk after lunchtime in the office

– 4-6 year olds playing with fireworks alone on the street

– Everyone cutting everyone else off in traffic, almost universal indifference

– Handing people business cards with two hands

– The concept of a linear line (starts here, ends there) doesn’t exist

– Everyone installing Windows on their Macs. And iPhone cases with bunny ears on them

– Asking if you’ve eaten yet, as a greeting

Keymaster

– Drinking beer out of miniature glasses

– Everyone sleeping with their heads on their desk after lunchtime in the office

– 4-6 year olds playing with fireworks alone on the street

– Everyone cutting everyone else off in traffic, almost universal indifference

– Handing people business cards with two hands

– The concept of a linear line (starts here, ends there) doesn’t exist

– Everyone installing Windows on their Macs. And iPhone cases with bunny ears on them

– Asking if you’ve eaten yet, as a greeting

Participant

@Rick, If i saw that in the states, ill call child support services.

Participant

@Rick, If i saw that in the states, ill call child support services.

Participant

@Rick

I am sure Chengdu living is best forum in china, at least is best I read by now, that’s why I keep stay here, people here are try to be more positive.

What i saying is’t start from somewhere else.

In another thread, somebody have say one sentance, that was sundely make me have kind of feeling, maybe we all go too far!

He said stop hate, start love.

that was give me a strike, because we all think we are right, everybody think their are right, that’s why we keep debate.

But question is are you really so right? or, are we all so right? How about you are him? how about you born in his way? how about you expercience everything he experience? Can you be different? Can you be better?

How about that?

i ask my self, are you sure you are so right? then , i guess, maybe not so! i am mirror of myself, when i hate, this hate it start come from myself, not from otheres!

But still i don’t like some things, i still don’t understand it. i still fell confused . Let’s wait, and keeping thinking, keep ask reason, stay calm. leave all the question to the future, i think answer will coming.

And same time, keep good mood!

Participant

@Rick

I am sure Chengdu living is best forum in china, at least is best I read by now, that’s why I keep stay here, people here are try to be more positive.

What i saying is’t start from somewhere else.

In another thread, somebody have say one sentance, that was sundely make me have kind of feeling, maybe we all go too far!

He said stop hate, start love.

that was give me a strike, because we all think we are right, everybody think their are right, that’s why we keep debate.

But question is are you really so right? or, are we all so right? How about you are him? how about you born in his way? how about you expercience everything he experience? Can you be different? Can you be better?

How about that?

i ask my self, are you sure you are so right? then , i guess, maybe not so! i am mirror of myself, when i hate, this hate it start come from myself, not from otheres!

But still i don’t like some things, i still don’t understand it. i still fell confused . Let’s wait, and keeping thinking, keep ask reason, stay calm. leave all the question to the future, i think answer will coming.

And same time, keep good mood!

Participant

@ Rick: well said, man. Linka, we’re just having a laugh, don’t be too serious about it. Listen, my best buddy back home is Chinese-Australian. His family is 3rd generation Aussie, but he told me that at Xmas and Australia Day, when the relatives get together it’s ahuge bitch session about how lazy Aussies are, how terrible the food is, how uncultured the whole place is etc. My point is that everyone does it. i also went to college with some Chinese students, and i also know that they would rag on Australia. The difference is, we do it openly, others do it discretely, but we all do it. it’s natural.

Linka, this is called “getting it off your chest”, and right or wrong, it makes us feel better. Puts us in a “good mood”…

Participant

@ Rick: well said, man. Linka, we’re just having a laugh, don’t be too serious about it. Listen, my best buddy back home is Chinese-Australian. His family is 3rd generation Aussie, but he told me that at Xmas and Australia Day, when the relatives get together it’s ahuge bitch session about how lazy Aussies are, how terrible the food is, how uncultured the whole place is etc. My point is that everyone does it. i also went to college with some Chinese students, and i also know that they would rag on Australia. The difference is, we do it openly, others do it discretely, but we all do it. it’s natural.

Linka, this is called “getting it off your chest”, and right or wrong, it makes us feel better. Puts us in a “good mood”…

Participant

@ray.

ok, understand.:)

Participant

@ray.

ok, understand.:)

Participant

Would like to add this as this literally just occurred 5 minutes ago in my office.

Sales rep from a cake company comes in with big container, says he can give us free tasting so we can perhaps do business with them in the future. Opens container revealing one row of chocolate cake, one row of green tea cake and one row of white and orange cake which I can only assume is vanilla.

Chocolate and green tea go down a treat. White and orange get sort of stuck in my throat as the taste is so bizarre.

It was meat flavoured cake. Comes in a spicy version apparently, too.

Thanks, China.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.