Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Would like to add this as this literally just occurred 5 minutes ago in my office.

Sales rep from a cake company comes in with big container, says he can give us free tasting so we can perhaps do business with them in the future. Opens container revealing one row of chocolate cake, one row of green tea cake and one row of white and orange cake which I can only assume is vanilla.

Chocolate and green tea go down a treat. White and orange get sort of stuck in my throat as the taste is so bizarre.

It was meat flavoured cake. Comes in a spicy version apparently, too.

Thanks, China.

Participant

WHAT THE HECK

Participant

WHAT THE HECK

Mmmm, meat cake!

Mmmm, meat cake!

Participant

@Danielle

They have meat flavour for everything. Potato chips – I think I’ve literally seen bags titled “Meat Flavour”, in addition to specific meats — “Chicken Flavour” “Lamb Flavour” “Beef Flavour”, “Shao Kao flavour” etc. I’d wager the only thing that lacks meat flavour options in China is .. actual meat – so frequently the meat is drenched in some other sauce or spice that overpowers the actual flavour of the meat itself.

Participant

@Danielle

They have meat flavour for everything. Potato chips – I think I’ve literally seen bags titled “Meat Flavour”, in addition to specific meats — “Chicken Flavour” “Lamb Flavour” “Beef Flavour”, “Shao Kao flavour” etc. I’d wager the only thing that lacks meat flavour options in China is .. actual meat – so frequently the meat is drenched in some other sauce or spice that overpowers the actual flavour of the meat itself.

Participant

@Rick Yeah it’s definitely one of the more unfortunate aspects to life here. When I used to teach kids I don’t know how many times I ate a beef candy thinking it was something much less sinister..

Here’s a picture of the meat cake… for science.

P2230899.jpg

Please note innocent chocolate cake beside it.

Participant

@Rick Yeah it’s definitely one of the more unfortunate aspects to life here. When I used to teach kids I don’t know how many times I ate a beef candy thinking it was something much less sinister..

P2230899.jpg

Please note innocent chocolate cake beside it.

Participant

This cake looks not good!

Still love cheesecake from bookwarm i had. best cheesecake~~~

Participant

This cake looks not good!

Still love cheesecake from bookwarm i had. best cheesecake~~~

@Rick you are a dick, take it easy.

@Rick you are a dick, take it easy.

No matter how much money you give a peasant, he can’t use it to buy taste or manners

No matter how much money you give a peasant, he can’t use it to buy taste or manners

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yeah it’s definitely one of the more unfortunate aspects to life here. When I used to teach kids I don’t know how many times I ate a beef candy thinking it was something much less sinister..

Oh God that looks hideous. I try everything in China but I can’t stand that dry powdered meat stuff that’s pictured on top of the cake.

Quote:
    They have meat flavour for everything. Potato chips

Yeah, some of the potato chip flavors are great. “Little Tomato” flavor Lays potato chips.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yeah it’s definitely one of the more unfortunate aspects to life here. When I used to teach kids I don’t know how many times I ate a beef candy thinking it was something much less sinister..

Oh God that looks hideous. I try everything in China but I can’t stand that dry powdered meat stuff that’s pictured on top of the cake.

Quote:
    They have meat flavour for everything. Potato chips

Yeah, some of the potato chip flavors are great. “Little Tomato” flavor Lays potato chips.

Participant

More weird shit (we could right a book on this topic)

*pyjamas wprn outside

*E-bike has a light, but NEVER use it

*the nation-wide refusal to ever say “I’m sorry” or “my mistake” or to accept an apology from others (“it’s not ‘from the heart’ when foreigners say sorry”)

*the belief that Chinese parents love their kids more than foreigners (i’ve heard this repeatedly)

*it’s OK to copy EVERYTHING, but if a foreign co. infringes on Chinese copyright, we will sue your ass

*feeding rice to cats and dogs (my tiger eats only the best imported japanese cat food shit)

*what’s a footpath for? Hey look, grandma’s got a baby strappped to her back (actually, that’s cool how they do that). BUT SHE’S WALKING ON YI HUAN LU!!!

Participant

More weird shit (we could right a book on this topic)

*pyjamas wprn outside

*E-bike has a light, but NEVER use it

*the nation-wide refusal to ever say “I’m sorry” or “my mistake” or to accept an apology from others (“it’s not ‘from the heart’ when foreigners say sorry”)

*the belief that Chinese parents love their kids more than foreigners (i’ve heard this repeatedly)

*it’s OK to copy EVERYTHING, but if a foreign co. infringes on Chinese copyright, we will sue your ass

*feeding rice to cats and dogs (my tiger eats only the best imported japanese cat food shit)

*what’s a footpath for? Hey look, grandma’s got a baby strappped to her back (actually, that’s cool how they do that). BUT SHE’S WALKING ON YI HUAN LU!!!

Participant

@Jacob

Thanks. Much appreciated.

@Marco

I phrase it different: You can take the farmer off the farm, but not the farm out of the farmer.

@Charlie

I think it’s like, dried shredded pork? I can’t stand it either.

@Ray

Where do you get “imported Japanese cat food”? I feed my cats Whiskas, I buy the 30?kg bags then manually bag it into mini-bags they provide to keep it fresh-ish, and the little whiskas wet packs once every couple days. I don’t know if this is the same Whiskas back home, anything you heard that I should concern with? Both my lil ones are happy and healthy so far, but bad food can lead to like..kidney / etc problems from what I gather.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.