Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Jacob

Thanks. Much appreciated.

@Marco

I phrase it different: You can take the farmer off the farm, but not the farm out of the farmer.

@Charlie

I think it’s like, dried shredded pork? I can’t stand it either.

@Ray

Where do you get “imported Japanese cat food”? I feed my cats Whiskas, I buy the 30?kg bags then manually bag it into mini-bags they provide to keep it fresh-ish, and the little whiskas wet packs once every couple days. I don’t know if this is the same Whiskas back home, anything you heard that I should concern with? Both my lil ones are happy and healthy so far, but bad food can lead to like..kidney / etc problems from what I gather.

Participant

Forgot to add: if a car touches grandma (who by the way is walking on the road) GRANDMA WILL SUE YOUR ASS!!!

@ Rick: animal market behind Minshan hotel, second floor has some amazing cats (some 5000 kuai and up) and products. Every time my TigerKuma pisses me off (he wants to come in, now he wants to go out)I consider replacing him with a bengal, russian blue or one of those wieird flat-face, no-ears monsters…

Participant

Forgot to add: if a car touches grandma (who by the way is walking on the road) GRANDMA WILL SUE YOUR ASS!!!

@ Rick: animal market behind Minshan hotel, second floor has some amazing cats (some 5000 kuai and up) and products. Every time my TigerKuma pisses me off (he wants to come in, now he wants to go out)I consider replacing him with a bengal, russian blue or one of those wieird flat-face, no-ears monsters…

Participant

That’s where I got my last cat 😀 looks like a white tiger.

I don’t know where my food comes from but it’s gigantic bags from suppliers, maybe there, my maid arranged the supply line and I just took it over when she left and call up – deliver – done. What brands specifically are you finding? And any reason you don’t go with Whiskas? 😀

Participant

That’s where I got my last cat 😀 looks like a white tiger.

I don’t know where my food comes from but it’s gigantic bags from suppliers, maybe there, my maid arranged the supply line and I just took it over when she left and call up – deliver – done. What brands specifically are you finding? And any reason you don’t go with Whiskas? 😀

Participant

@ Rick: i think Whiskas is Ok but my cat is fussy, and in the battle of willpower he wins hands-down, so he’s kinda hooked on the foreign stuff. One thing, never buy the Whiskas in a small shop, where you pay by weight and they store it in a large tub. That shit ain’t Whiskas, it’s a fakey. Also, if desperate i try to give the Tiger some Friskies, but he’s awake to my games and won’t touch it. Big problem i have is that TigerKuma won’t touch canned food, nd like alot of cats gets hooked on dry cat food which lacks alot of the nutrition that you find in canned stuff….very tough to ween a cat off dried stuff…

BTW: is your cat an exotic or a common one? i paid 10 kuai for the Tiger about 6 years ago…less than a beer in a bar…

Participant

@ Rick: i think Whiskas is Ok but my cat is fussy, and in the battle of willpower he wins hands-down, so he’s kinda hooked on the foreign stuff. One thing, never buy the Whiskas in a small shop, where you pay by weight and they store it in a large tub. That shit ain’t Whiskas, it’s a fakey. Also, if desperate i try to give the Tiger some Friskies, but he’s awake to my games and won’t touch it. Big problem i have is that TigerKuma won’t touch canned food, nd like alot of cats gets hooked on dry cat food which lacks alot of the nutrition that you find in canned stuff….very tough to ween a cat off dried stuff…

BTW: is your cat an exotic or a common one? i paid 10 kuai for the Tiger about 6 years ago…less than a beer in a bar…

Participant

@Ray

My 2 are “Mao Mao”猫猫 and “Pa Pa”怕怕, I had one beautiful and wonderful Siamese named 猫猫二 but I suppose one windy evening she took a header off my balcony – she loved it up there – 32 floors down, hence Pa Pa. Mao Mao was free, rolled out of a plastic bag my GF at the time brought over asking if I’d like one, 7 years ago – and Pa Pa was about 1300? RMB. Pa Pa should be a black/silver/white Tabby and Mao Mao is a mixed tabby-ish with brown/black/various colouring.

Your cats wont eat wet cat food? My cats LOVE it, they think of it as a treat from the dry shit. Dry shit is like their “backup” food – secondary to any meats I share with them or shrimps/crab boiled up for them. They much prefer the little whiskas packets more than the dry food, chicken/beef more than the packets, and shrimp/salmon/crab more than chicken/beef.

Participant

@Ray

My 2 are “Mao Mao”猫猫 and “Pa Pa”怕怕, I had one beautiful and wonderful Siamese named 猫猫二 but I suppose one windy evening she took a header off my balcony – she loved it up there – 32 floors down, hence Pa Pa. Mao Mao was free, rolled out of a plastic bag my GF at the time brought over asking if I’d like one, 7 years ago – and Pa Pa was about 1300? RMB. Pa Pa should be a black/silver/white Tabby and Mao Mao is a mixed tabby-ish with brown/black/various colouring.

Your cats wont eat wet cat food? My cats LOVE it, they think of it as a treat from the dry shit. Dry shit is like their “backup” food – secondary to any meats I share with them or shrimps/crab boiled up for them. They much prefer the little whiskas packets more than the dry food, chicken/beef more than the packets, and shrimp/salmon/crab more than chicken/beef.

Participant

@Rick

Jeez your cats eat better than I do

Participant

@Rick

Jeez your cats eat better than I do

Participant

@ Rick: you’re lucky man. if you google it, you’ll find horror stories of people trying to get their cats weened off dry food, and some cats literally choosing to starve rather than eat canned. Apparently the evil cat food makers put kibble into the dry food, which gets the cats hooked on it. Siamese are beautiful cats, about as loyal as any cat will get. had one for ten years back home….this thread has turned into a cat one. All the non-owners rolling their eys: “enough already!”

Participant

@ Rick: you’re lucky man. if you google it, you’ll find horror stories of people trying to get their cats weened off dry food, and some cats literally choosing to starve rather than eat canned. Apparently the evil cat food makers put kibble into the dry food, which gets the cats hooked on it. Siamese are beautiful cats, about as loyal as any cat will get. had one for ten years back home….this thread has turned into a cat one. All the non-owners rolling their eys: “enough already!”

Speaking of domestic animals…

-mistreatment of dogs by making them wear clothes and dying their hair and ears for “cuteness”.

-the amount of stray cats and dogs in chengdu

-dogs without leashes, cats with leashes

-adult women dressed up like animals with all dat fur. Furry hats, coats, boots with the fur…

Speaking of domestic animals…

-mistreatment of dogs by making them wear clothes and dying their hair and ears for “cuteness”.

-the amount of stray cats and dogs in chengdu

-dogs without leashes, cats with leashes

-adult women dressed up like animals with all dat fur. Furry hats, coats, boots with the fur…

While walking through Chunxi Lu last night I noticed two stray dogs, one stretched out on its back all playful like, paws in the air whilst the other dry humped furiously at peculiar distance from future puppy target.  Strange enough me thinks, but not as strange as absolutely no one paying attention on the busiest street in the city.

Fur clothing…  That shit is blowin’ up!  No longer for seal clubbing ballers, China must be in Faux Fur overdrive right now.  From coats that look like 1000 Chinchilla backs stitched together, boots that look like a ferret got sewn into the top of each, Ear Muffs that should have been left for Minnie Mouse, and oversize Teddy Bear/Panda gloves on a string worn by adult women.  And don’t get me started on the Teddy Bear/Panda face shoes!  I’ve even seen a young dude wearing those.  Back home if any guy dare wear those out, he’d better be able to outrun Haile Gebrselassie, or he might go the way of the baby seals himself.

Another amusing one is seeing ten (more/less) of the same store in a row.  Opened a new shoe shop you say?  I’m gonna open me a shoe shop next door.  Opened a fruit shop you say?  Yep, I’m opening one too.  Next door.  Having trouble selling all that completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit your back alley hole in the wall is full/half empty of?  Snap!  I’m having trouble selling all my completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit too. 

Doing any kind of business here is interesting on a good day.  On a bad day it’s like I just got time warped to the vortex, where single brain cells fight for attention, and none of them win.  ‘Yes, yes, we can/will do that for you, no problem’…  Next day: ‘No.’. Huh?  Did you just tell me you can’t do the thing you told me you could do?  And there’s the point at which the games begin.  Looking for an explanation?  Make one up yourself, it’s quicker, and the comedy helps alleviate the pain.  ‘Official’ sources of info are no better, unless you go on a Tuesday, carrying lucky heather, wearing a crystal necklace.  Be prepared to decode  any info you get, only to realise it’s a duff.

This might have been mentioned already, but the concept of queuing is dead.  I can be right at the cashier’s desk, no space remaining for intrusion, yet somehow there’s still someone else’s shit cascading onto the counter over mine, followed by a fist pumping cash at the clerk.  This boils my blood in a fraction of a second, the demon in me calling for blood.  Elevators, doorways, buses, taxis, cafes, restaurants…  Anywhere there’s (what you and I would assume) a queue necessary, sure as shit there isn’t one.  Weirder still, the only place I’ve seen an actual orderly queue is at those little bread shops, where Chinese folk seem content to wait in line for balls of bread.  

Go figure.

While walking through Chunxi Lu last night I noticed two stray dogs, one stretched out on its back all playful like, paws in the air whilst the other dry humped furiously at peculiar distance from future puppy target.  Strange enough me thinks, but not as strange as absolutely no one paying attention on the busiest street in the city.

Fur clothing…  That shit is blowin’ up!  No longer for seal clubbing ballers, China must be in Faux Fur overdrive right now.  From coats that look like 1000 Chinchilla backs stitched together, boots that look like a ferret got sewn into the top of each, Ear Muffs that should have been left for Minnie Mouse, and oversize Teddy Bear/Panda gloves on a string worn by adult women.  And don’t get me started on the Teddy Bear/Panda face shoes!  I’ve even seen a young dude wearing those.  Back home if any guy dare wear those out, he’d better be able to outrun Haile Gebrselassie, or he might go the way of the baby seals himself.

Another amusing one is seeing ten (more/less) of the same store in a row.  Opened a new shoe shop you say?  I’m gonna open me a shoe shop next door.  Opened a fruit shop you say?  Yep, I’m opening one too.  Next door.  Having trouble selling all that completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit your back alley hole in the wall is full/half empty of?  Snap!  I’m having trouble selling all my completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit too. 

Doing any kind of business here is interesting on a good day.  On a bad day it’s like I just got time warped to the vortex, where single brain cells fight for attention, and none of them win.  ‘Yes, yes, we can/will do that for you, no problem’…  Next day: ‘No.’. Huh?  Did you just tell me you can’t do the thing you told me you could do?  And there’s the point at which the games begin.  Looking for an explanation?  Make one up yourself, it’s quicker, and the comedy helps alleviate the pain.  ‘Official’ sources of info are no better, unless you go on a Tuesday, carrying lucky heather, wearing a crystal necklace.  Be prepared to decode  any info you get, only to realise it’s a duff.

This might have been mentioned already, but the concept of queuing is dead.  I can be right at the cashier’s desk, no space remaining for intrusion, yet somehow there’s still someone else’s shit cascading onto the counter over mine, followed by a fist pumping cash at the clerk.  This boils my blood in a fraction of a second, the demon in me calling for blood.  Elevators, doorways, buses, taxis, cafes, restaurants…  Anywhere there’s (what you and I would assume) a queue necessary, sure as shit there isn’t one.  Weirder still, the only place I’ve seen an actual orderly queue is at those little bread shops, where Chinese folk seem content to wait in line for balls of bread.  

Go figure.

Participant
    Quote:
    Another amusing one is seeing ten (more/less) of the same store in a row. Opened a new shoe shop you say? I’m gonna open me a shoe shop next door. Opened a fruit shop you say? Yep, I’m opening one too. Next door. Having trouble selling all that completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit your back alley hole in the wall is full/half empty of? Snap! I’m having trouble selling all my completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit too.

Yeah, honestly how many 成人用品 can you have in a 100 m radius?

Participant
    Quote:
    Another amusing one is seeing ten (more/less) of the same store in a row. Opened a new shoe shop you say? I’m gonna open me a shoe shop next door. Opened a fruit shop you say? Yep, I’m opening one too. Next door. Having trouble selling all that completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit your back alley hole in the wall is full/half empty of? Snap! I’m having trouble selling all my completely useless/outdated/sun bleached/obsolete shit too.

Yeah, honestly how many 成人用品 can you have in a 100 m radius?

Hi all,

was reading this thread and thinking well you know from my exerience of chinese students back in the UK (of which I have had 2) and now being here doing some work in their labs.

It boils down to they are one of the least patient people I have ever come across.

For Example: you make your samples and they freeze dry over night. rather than waiting (as they know opening the equipent renders the samples already in it as as good as a stale turd) they open it put their samples in it. Then they think you will not notice or say anything.

Now this experience I observed in the UK where I just thougth it was best to re-train the students and it worked.

Seconly, their students are “experts” sorry guys you have no background knowledge you see a journal manuscript and think you can copy and repeat it and when it goes wrong the published manuscript was wrong or the equipment is broken.

well that just seems the way things are done not only in Chengdu but also in Beijing.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.