Weird Cultural Differences

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWeird Cultural Differences

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 264 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

was reading this thread and thinking well you know from my exerience of chinese students back in the UK (of which I have had 2) and now being here doing some work in their labs.

It boils down to they are one of the least patient people I have ever come across.

For Example: you make your samples and they freeze dry over night. rather than waiting (as they know opening the equipent renders the samples already in it as as good as a stale turd) they open it put their samples in it. Then they think you will not notice or say anything.

Now this experience I observed in the UK where I just thougth it was best to re-train the students and it worked.

Seconly, their students are “experts” sorry guys you have no background knowledge you see a journal manuscript and think you can copy and repeat it and when it goes wrong the published manuscript was wrong or the equipment is broken.

well that just seems the way things are done not only in Chengdu but also in Beijing.

Participant

@ Brendan: re the lack of queuing: you don’t have to let the “inner demon” out, but you have a right to say something. I usually say “ni mei kan pai dui ma?” (can’t you see the line?). Generally this causes a phenomenal loss of face when said by a laowai (cos even when engaging in the most egregious behavior, Chinese still consider themselves well-behaved and civilised). Usually get 3 reactions: 1. I’m sorry and embarrassed

2.Anger (but they are still humiliated)

3. Pretend to not understand or ignore (but still, that loss of face is almost fatal).

Your inner demon is satisfied, and you didn’t even have to raise your voice. Those few simple words are as powerful as dynamite….

Participant

@ Brendan: re the lack of queuing: you don’t have to let the “inner demon” out, but you have a right to say something. I usually say “ni mei kan pai dui ma?” (can’t you see the line?). Generally this causes a phenomenal loss of face when said by a laowai (cos even when engaging in the most egregious behavior, Chinese still consider themselves well-behaved and civilised). Usually get 3 reactions: 1. I’m sorry and embarrassed

2.Anger (but they are still humiliated)

3. Pretend to not understand or ignore (but still, that loss of face is almost fatal).

Your inner demon is satisfied, and you didn’t even have to raise your voice. Those few simple words are as powerful as dynamite….

Participant

@Ray

You’re more polite than me, I put on a ”what the fuck’ face and generally speak like: 你fuckin干什么,没看排队吗?那么没礼貌

Never had anyone really reply with anything but a mumble, but sometimes do get the ignore…to which I’ll launch a much more direct tirade of character insults 😉

Edit: if they ignore, an appropriate response would be like…. 什么,听不见?眼睛有问题,耳朵有问题,不回去排队后我给你其他的问题婊子!

Try it out 😉

Participant

@Ray

You’re more polite than me, I put on a ”what the fuck’ face and generally speak like: 你fuckin干什么,没看排队吗?那么没礼貌

Never had anyone really reply with anything but a mumble, but sometimes do get the ignore…to which I’ll launch a much more direct tirade of character insults 😉

Edit: if they ignore, an appropriate response would be like…. 什么,听不见?眼睛有问题,耳朵有问题,不回去排队后我给你其他的问题婊子!

Try it out 😉

Participant

I was at Starbucks this afternoon, it’s kind of busy, no table.

But I find out a table next window, eating my biscuit, drinking my coffee, writing my things, then suddely a girl came to my table, said i sit for a while,then sit there. actually i even don’t think she is said to me, she is like said to herself.

I was no words, I staring at her for 5 seconds, then put my notebook and my biscuit in my bag, take my coffee,leave.

I guess she was more than me need that table.OK, i give it to her then.

Participant

I was at Starbucks this afternoon, it’s kind of busy, no table.

But I find out a table next window, eating my biscuit, drinking my coffee, writing my things, then suddely a girl came to my table, said i sit for a while,then sit there. actually i even don’t think she is said to me, she is like said to herself.

I was no words, I staring at her for 5 seconds, then put my notebook and my biscuit in my bag, take my coffee,leave.

I guess she was more than me need that table.OK, i give it to her then.

Participant

@Rick, you Chinese is amazing, but I’m wondering if someone swear back at you, are you capable of launching other more tirade to fuck them untill they behave themselves 🙂

Participant

@Rick, you Chinese is amazing, but I’m wondering if someone swear back at you, are you capable of launching other more tirade to fuck them untill they behave themselves 🙂

@rick haha. Thats the kind of reaction anyone would have in the west when encountering a cutter. I’d like to see what kind of reactions you get here. Back home, you might be instigating a fist fight.

But seriously everyone seems in such a hurry, rushing to squeeze through the bus/subway/elevator doors before theyre completely open. Not to mention people trying to get on at the same time as people getting off… completely ignoring the 先下,后上 signs. I’m pretty jaded about that. Instead of trying the avoid the onslaught, i’ll square up my shoulders and plow through them, cause i got right of way bitch!

Also want to add the strange exercise activities. Tai chi in the morning is cool, but old people walking while clapping their hands, slapping their thighs, swimming through the air, walking barefoot on stones, walking backwards, always struck me as kind of strange. Also the completely use “exercise equipment” : steering wheel maching, the air walker, the torso twister, pulling the train whistle. Toot toooot! Though i think the outdoor parallel bars are kind of cool, but no one ever uses those.

@rick haha. Thats the kind of reaction anyone would have in the west when encountering a cutter. I’d like to see what kind of reactions you get here. Back home, you might be instigating a fist fight.

But seriously everyone seems in such a hurry, rushing to squeeze through the bus/subway/elevator doors before theyre completely open. Not to mention people trying to get on at the same time as people getting off… completely ignoring the 先下,后上 signs. I’m pretty jaded about that. Instead of trying the avoid the onslaught, i’ll square up my shoulders and plow through them, cause i got right of way bitch!

Also want to add the strange exercise activities. Tai chi in the morning is cool, but old people walking while clapping their hands, slapping their thighs, swimming through the air, walking barefoot on stones, walking backwards, always struck me as kind of strange. Also the completely use “exercise equipment” : steering wheel maching, the air walker, the torso twister, pulling the train whistle. Toot toooot! Though i think the outdoor parallel bars are kind of cool, but no one ever uses those.

Guys, get a life…

Guys, get a life…

Quote:
    Guys, get a life…

Got one. Thanks.

Quote:
    Guys, get a life…

Got one. Thanks.

Participant

OK, i think i’ve vented enough. Gonna turn this 360, and list some cool stuff:

*the lack of macho bullshit you find in some places (try living or working in Latin America and you’ll appreciate that Chin ese guys are ususally pretty chilled

*tax…..what tax?

*people (some anyway) really opening their minds eg. finally seeing Chinese mainland backpackers areound the world, in some far-flung places, and people finding new hobbies (eg. mountain biking)

*street barbecue. Enough said.

OK, just one more weird thing (hard to break the habit): why is my back so interesting? invariably walk past someone, look over my soulder, find them looking at my back. Checking out my ass? I don;t have one…

Participant

OK, i think i’ve vented enough. Gonna turn this 360, and list some cool stuff:

*the lack of macho bullshit you find in some places (try living or working in Latin America and you’ll appreciate that Chin ese guys are ususally pretty chilled

*tax…..what tax?

*people (some anyway) really opening their minds eg. finally seeing Chinese mainland backpackers areound the world, in some far-flung places, and people finding new hobbies (eg. mountain biking)

*street barbecue. Enough said.

OK, just one more weird thing (hard to break the habit): why is my back so interesting? invariably walk past someone, look over my soulder, find them looking at my back. Checking out my ass? I don;t have one…

Participant

I have a travelling by bus story, I am not a fan of public transport but had to use the bus on this occasion.

One morning (peak time) after many jam packed buses drove by me I finally jumped on one, it was mega packed I had one foot on the pavement and one on the bus platform so a man in a massive purple puffy jacket grabbed my arm and hauled me into the bus so the doors could at least close, he then laughed saying ‘something laowai’.

I spent a few seconds trying to navigate through the masses to put my 2 Kuai in the money box but then some random woman who was closer took my money, I thought what are you doing and a few people passed it around and put it in the box for me, I thought how nice, if this was back in my hometown my money would have gone into someones pocket.

As more people were getting on the bus I began to feel like a rockstar who jumps into a crowd and gets passed around because as the bus was moving I could feel myself being gently nudged (not pushed which is a first for me since being in China)into the back of the bus, I kept saying sorry because my huge backpack (usually full of cheap snacks and my notebook) was knocking peoples faces but no one got aggressive or anything because if they had then I don’t know what I would have done. So I was finally in the back near the exit doors, my heart stopped beating so fast and I could calm my nerves as I knew I could get off at least without the manic and panic. Then the brakes suddenly screeched and the bus halted, the best thing was no one hurt themselves or even moved an inch because we were all huddled together, I started to laugh, who needs air bags when you have all these people squeezed in a bus and wearing puffy, inflated jackets/coats are so good for safety. I don’t even think anyone budged when the bus halted.

I came to my stop and I tried to slowly edge myself towards the exit doors once again my backpack was whipping people (I think I will buy a small one for bus journeys) and I leapt out the bus. Then I realised I got off one stop to early ha ha, thought about getting the next bus but then decided against it and walked instead oh China at times you do make me smile.

Diamond

Participant

I have a travelling by bus story, I am not a fan of public transport but had to use the bus on this occasion.

One morning (peak time) after many jam packed buses drove by me I finally jumped on one, it was mega packed I had one foot on the pavement and one on the bus platform so a man in a massive purple puffy jacket grabbed my arm and hauled me into the bus so the doors could at least close, he then laughed saying ‘something laowai’.

I spent a few seconds trying to navigate through the masses to put my 2 Kuai in the money box but then some random woman who was closer took my money, I thought what are you doing and a few people passed it around and put it in the box for me, I thought how nice, if this was back in my hometown my money would have gone into someones pocket.

As more people were getting on the bus I began to feel like a rockstar who jumps into a crowd and gets passed around because as the bus was moving I could feel myself being gently nudged (not pushed which is a first for me since being in China)into the back of the bus, I kept saying sorry because my huge backpack (usually full of cheap snacks and my notebook) was knocking peoples faces but no one got aggressive or anything because if they had then I don’t know what I would have done. So I was finally in the back near the exit doors, my heart stopped beating so fast and I could calm my nerves as I knew I could get off at least without the manic and panic. Then the brakes suddenly screeched and the bus halted, the best thing was no one hurt themselves or even moved an inch because we were all huddled together, I started to laugh, who needs air bags when you have all these people squeezed in a bus and wearing puffy, inflated jackets/coats are so good for safety. I don’t even think anyone budged when the bus halted.

I came to my stop and I tried to slowly edge myself towards the exit doors once again my backpack was whipping people (I think I will buy a small one for bus journeys) and I leapt out the bus. Then I realised I got off one stop to early ha ha, thought about getting the next bus but then decided against it and walked instead oh China at times you do make me smile.

Diamond

Participant

Guys, get a life…

429101_3285121484863_1172409304_3383142_238970901_n.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 264 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.