What Bank & How to Apply for Visa Card?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhat Bank & How to Apply for Visa Card?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

Went to 3 banks (BOC, ICBC and Minsheng) to apply for VISA credit card. Some of them require residence permit or Chinese ID card. Apparently there was no way for me to make one, since I only have got passport and M visa.

Any “less headache” Chinese banks you know?

Regards

Keymaster

Will a bank card with a Visa logo on it work? That will probably be much easier to get than a credit card. Their concern is probably issuing you a line of a credit when you are officially only a temporary visitor in China.

Participant

Do you have such a card Charlie? Where can I get one? Could I use it to pay for things online just like with a regular credit card?

Last time I tried they wouldn’t even give me a credit card WITH a residence permit (that was about two years ago though and not in Chengdu).  Don’t know any other foreigners who have a credit card issued by a Chinese bank either. Notoriously difficult to get your hands on one 😀

Participant

That would definitely work as long as it may be used abroad and for online purchases designed for VISA payment systems. Would it?

Keymaster

Do you have such a card Charlie? Where can I get one? Could I use it to pay for things online just like with a regular credit card? Last time I tried they wouldn’t even give me a credit card WITH a residence permit (that was about two years ago though and not in Chengdu). Don’t know any other foreigners who have a credit card issued by a Chinese bank either. Notoriously difficult to get your hands on one :D

No, I don’t. It would be a handy thing to have. I have seen expats with these cards before though, so I’m certain that it’s possible. Unless I’m mistaken, they were probably debit cards that work as Visa cards.

That would definitely work as long as it may be used abroad and for online purchases designed for VISA payment systems. Would it?

Yes, it works the same way, you just cannot spend money that you don’t have in your bank account. It’s like a Visa debit card in any other country.

Participant

I have a Visa card through China Merchants Bank. It’s a debit card, though, not a credit card. But since you say you just need it for use abroad and for online payments, it should be enough. It costs 20 kuai a month, since it’s considered a special service. You can get it alongside a separate UnionPay card, which is free.

I do have a residence permit, but I don’t know if this was required to open the account. They did need to take a look at my passport, of course, and there was also a 1000 kuai minimum opening deposit. The sign-up process was pretty painless, and took about 30 minutes at my branch.

I know China Merchants Bank also has a Visa/UnionPay credit card, but I have no idea if we, as foreigners, can get it.

Participant

The only banks i know who can give you a credit card in China are Bank of Shanghai (require job contract and they will call them indeed) and Bank of Taiwan (require long term visa and bank account statement). Both are still PITA to get.

But unless you require exactly credit card, id just use 2 debits, 1 for internet payment, 1 for money keeping.

BoC probably have the best i-banking tools around so i use it for paying for everything.

Participant

Actually I know that you can have a credit card with BOC only if you have a registered company in China, but make a debit card is an operation that you can do in 1 hour. I done it at branch in Jinjiang district on Xin Xi Wang Road.

About VISA, I withdraw money at BOC ATM with my italian bank card and with another portuguese, exchange rate it’s ok. So maybe this one can to be a way.

Participant

Do you guys know if these Visa debit cards can be linked with AliPay? Or is credit card required?

Participant

Can to be linked

Participant

I have a Visa card through China Merchants Bank. It’s a debit card, though, not a credit card. But since you say you just need it for use abroad and for online payments, it should be enough. It costs 20 kuai a month, since it’s considered a special service. You can get it alongside a separate UnionPay card, which is free. 

What is the advantage of having a Visa debit card over a regular UnionPay card? How are they different?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.