What do you do for fun in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhat do you do for fun in Chengdu?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey people. I’m in Chengdu with my girlfriend at the moment, and we are looking for something fun to do, that ain’t the typical “oh go see peoples park” or “look at something really chinese” – No we want to have fun. Bowl, swim, skate – whatever. Something funny for people who lives here as well. Do you have any suggestions to what we might be able to do ?

BTW. We already tried KTV… And it was… like getting drunk and singing Singstar.

Keymaster

It’s a city with 10+ million people, there are countless fun things you can do. Excepting the unique places and experiences in Chengdu, having fun here is a lot like having fun anywhere else. You can swim, skate, or bowl here like basically anywhere else. Some suggestions:

• Check out Crossfit in Chengdu at Tianfu Square
    • Fly a kite
    • Swim in the indoor ocean at Global Center
    • Rent a bike at Natooke and cycle around the city
    • Learn to play Chinese chess
    • See a movie. Tickets cost 30rmb online
    • Go to one of the “Escape the Room” adventure places
    • Go to an archery range
    • Fly a kite

“Go fly a kite” sounds like an olde time-y “get out of here!”

People’s Park is a pretty spectacular, cacophonous mess if that’s what you’re into. It’s worth a peak, easy access by subway.

Participant

Hijacking this thread slightly as I’m interested in Crossfit.  Do you know if any English is spoken at all there?  I’d be interested in going to a trial session but my Chinese definitely isn’t up to figuring out instructions whilst attempting not to collapse with exhaustion!!

If anyone has been, it would be great to hear reviews/general thoughts on what it’s like.

Keymaster

Hijacking this thread slightly as I’m interested in Crossfit. Do you know if any English is spoken at all there? I’d be interested in going to a trial session but my Chinese definitely isn’t up to figuring out instructions whilst attempting not to collapse with exhaustion!! If anyone has been, it would be great to hear reviews/general thoughts on what it’s like.

I haven’t been but a friend of mine has. He says that there are some people there who speak decent English and the workouts are all written in English. I think you should be okay. The name of the place is Tianfu Crossfit, I believe.

Participant

Hijacking this thread slightly as I’m interested in Crossfit. Do you know if any English is spoken at all there? I’d be interested in going to a trial session but my Chinese definitely isn’t up to figuring out instructions whilst attempting not to collapse with exhaustion!! If anyone has been, it would be great to hear reviews/general thoughts on what it’s like.

I haven’t been but a friend of mine has. He says that there are some people there who speak decent English and the workouts are all written in English. I think you should be okay. The name of the place is Tianfu Crossfit, I believe.

Thanks!  Should I pluck up the courage to go (I’ve heard it’s a pretty intense workout) I’ll post a review!

Participant

The crossfit shouldn’t be too intense. You’ll probably find people walking in and out, and of course checking their cellphones pretty regularly. There’s nothing wrong with that. Crossfit is evolving from the “puke and we give you a free t-shirt” mentality of a few years ago. It’s a good thing….

Participant

As you can see from the initial responses to your question, lodderup, Chengdu is an incredibly boring place. The best fun in Chengdu is actually getting your ass out of it.

But sorry, I’m with Dan. People’s Park is all at once a novelty, a mindfuck, and an earsore. Quite entertaining the first two times. Bring beer.

Also try…
    North Train Station and environs
    Sewage Canal walks (bring beer)
    low-end “special service” massage parlours (pairs nicely with canal walk)

Participant

How about go to Little Bar, to see some music live shows? XD

Participant

As you can see from the initial responses to your question, lodderup, Chengdu is an incredibly boring place. The best fun in Chengdu is actually getting your ass out of it. But sorry, I’m with Dan. People’s Park is all at once a novelty, a mindfuck, and an earsore. Quite entertaining the first two times. Bring beer. Also try… North Train Station and environs Sewage Canal walks (bring beer) low-end “special service” massage parlours (pairs nicely with canal walk)

you forgot Lotus Market, Huaxi Hospital and the PSB.

Participant

Shays lotus market?

Are there any markets like Silk Road in Beijing where you can bargain for knock-off goods?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.