What Happened to the Poly Centre?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhat Happened to the Poly Centre?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I heard some talk last night about Here We Go and Tag on the 21st floor being closed. So I checked myself this evening and sure enough the top floor stretch was a ghost town. Even the banners for the numerous small businesses that call Poly Centre Building 2 home were gone from the foyer. I also saw the building guards patrolling in squads of 3 around the area -Spooky.

The story that I got was that they’ve had they’re electricity cut for some reason. Perhaps the bar owners have had a disagreement with building management.

So has anyone heard any in whisperings? What about Twan and Linda?

Keymaster

I heard that the power was out, but I didn’t hear that it was cut. I wouldn’t imagine that anything major is wrong. Not without more information, at least. I know that more clubs are opening in Poly Center also, on other floors. I’m sure information about those will appear here soon.

Poly Center should already be up and running again, though.

Participant

I forgot to mention. Helen’s is open, business as usual. The whole buildings lit up. But the higher floors are silent.

Participant

The police cut the power to both venues. Sinostage still had power on Friday.

Keymaster

I heard it’s because they had no business license. Now they have one, apparently, so I expect both of these places to be open again shortly.

Participant

I heard from an employee at tag that it was “electrical problems” and they are moving to chunxilu & set to reopen in about 2 weeks. My guess is it’s just code for “too many blatant drug deals and obvious drug use” and that’s why they shut them down. And I am totally behind that. It used to be something people did in secret, now they dont even bother to hide. just because we are foreign doesnt mean we shouldnt have to follow the law (or at least PRETEND to follow it while out in public the SAME WAY WE WOULD BACK HOME).

~that drunk girl who is usually passing out by the time she gets to TAG/HWG

Keymaster

My guess is it’s just code for “too many blatant drug deals and obvious drug use” and that’s why they shut them down. And I am totally behind that. It used to be something people did in secret, now they dont even bother to hide. just because we are foreign doesnt mean we shouldnt have to follow the law (or at least PRETEND to follow it while out in public the SAME WAY WE WOULD BACK HOME).

Tag is actually very upfront about their no drugs policy. Their website states that they do not allow drugs and I know that the owners are serious about shutting that stuff down. I think their problems are just business license related. HWG and Tag are not in traditional club locations, so I’m guessing they assumed they could operate under the radar unregistered as a huge number of bars in Chengdu have for years. It makes sense that they would eventually face this problem though because the sound level up there can be insanely high, especially from HWG.

Participant

I am as far outside the loop as its possible to be, but a friend told me one month ago “that place is on borrowed time”. You can push things so far, you can let shit slide, within limits…anyway good luck to those guys with their re-opening.

Participant

So, now it seems that they’re both moving up to ChunXi Lu. Tag was responsible for the huge roof party at IFS last Friday, and Here We Go had another one nearby. Rumour has it that they’ve secured units around there and aren’t returning to the Poly Centre, though we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it.

As for blatant drug use. Following on from what Charlie said about Tag’s policy, HWG staff also asks people not to smoke weed on the premises.

Keymaster

Rumour has it that they’ve secured units around there and aren’t returning to the Poly Centre, though we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it.

Aren’t returning to the Poly Center? That would be a shame, that is such a good location.

Keymaster

Rumour has it that they’ve secured units around there and aren’t returning to the Poly Centre, though we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it.

Aren’t returning to the Poly Center? That would be a shame, that is such a good location.

Participant

TAG Won’t Open Any more at this Location . After Thats i think it’s a Good thing, when you look where both club are located 21 it’s Hell there!!

if you call thats a CLub well i suggest you to go to some place and see whats it’s real Club .

Tag Was no safety at all , even the windows inside the club located at 21 floor are not locked safety ! Drug there it’s a Big issue !Thump to Police and Gov , please keep clean up the messy Place , Hope more operation like this in a futures to make Changdu Standard !

Hope they lock  up  the floor 21 for ever !! so many place in town where you can party in a decent club safe and free drug !

Jelly should be also Clean up so messy this place Panam Same @llo GOV please Action we need in chengdu decent club not a messy clown Club ^^

Cheers

Keymaster

if you call thats a CLub well i suggest you to go to some place and see whats it’s real Club .

Tag Was no safety at all , even the windows inside the club located at 21 floor are not locked safety ! Drug there it’s a Big issue !Thump to Police and Gov , please keep clean up the messy Place , Hope more operation like this in a futures to make Changdu Standard !

Hope they lock up the floor 21 for ever !! so many place in town where you can party in a decent club safe and free drug !

Jelly should be also Clean up so messy this place Panam Same @llo GOV please Action we need in chengdu decent club not a messy clown Club ^^

How is Tag not a real club? Looked pretty real to me. Good sound system, proper lights, excellent equipment in the booth, capacity for 200 people.

I never saw drugs in Tag, but I’ve definitely seen drugs in most other clubs in Chengdu. A few years ago you used to see ketamine out in the open in virtually every Chinese club. I think the amount of drugs in clubs in Chengdu has been pretty drastically reduced in previous years, as a matter of fact.

Participant

the amount of drugs in clubs in Chengdu has been pretty drastically reduced in previous years

Absolutely. At most foreign bars the only drug you’d commonly see floating around is some smoking of weed, rarely anything else. At Chinese clubs, however, people used to openly snort K off glass pans with twirly straws and mix various crushed up substances into their drinks.

@rat
    As far as weed goes, if people want to smoke it, what’s the difference to you between whether they smoke weed or smoke cigarettes? I find this quote hilarious:

@llo GOV please Action we need in chengdu decent club not a messy clown Club

Who do you think your audience is, exactly? What clubs in Chengdu do you consider “not a messy clown Club” exactly? If you don’t like some place, why do you go there – just avoid it, rather than rant about how it should be shut down…you just come off like a whiney bitch.

Participant

@rat

Alcohol is a drug… I have never heard of anybody getting violent from smoking a few joints.     I have seen more blatant drug taking in Chinese clubs like Muse, Babi etc…  In one they were offering K for free on silver platters.  WTF is a clown club?

Participant

Ha ha, I would actually love to go to a ‘messy clown club’ it sounds like a great night out. The pictures in my head look brilliant.

I don’t know why people are saying it’s a foreign thing, the here we go staff have a much harder time stopping the Chengdu hipster kids smoking weed in the open than the foreigners.

Neither of these bars were closed down because of drugs, if they were then they would have been raided first, like the old old xiong mao.

It was inevitable once all those offices started to fill up that the bars would be on the way out. I think both clubs will thrive in their new locations and hope they do. It’s a shame not to be able to just walk between them though.

By the way, the all night after party at the new here we go last Sunday was fucking brilliant!

Keymaster

By the way, the all night after party at the new here we go last Sunday was fucking brilliant!

It really was. Unfortunately the DJ area had major equipment problems, but that venue is amazing. I hope more events happen there this summer. The live music area was really nice, great to have musical contrast between the two areas like that.

Participant

Hope they lock up the floor 21 for ever !! so many place in town where you can party in a decent club safe and free drug !

I’m not a big fan of drugs due to my old age, but drugs are expensive and if there’s any being given out for free, you can’t really complain about it. Say no if you want, but at least be grateful for their offer of free drugs.

Participant

@rat

Alcohol is a drug… I have never heard of anybody getting violent from smoking a few joints. I have seen more blatant drug taking in Chinese clubs like Muse, Babi etc… In one they were offering K for free on silver platters. WTF is a clown club?

That must have not been that recently though? Ketamine use used to be so open in Chinese nightclubs (like in 2006), even used far more openly than in the early 2000’s in the UK, when Ketamine was actually still LEGAL there (which the possible exception of events with a large gay crowd, they just seemed to absolutely love their K for some reason).

Participant

business bar need business license, business license, lag registered capital of commercial bar,review the record of public security, fire, health permits, health certificates…

Tag and HWG weekend aslo have party at other place.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.