What is Chengdu missing?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat is Chengdu missing?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ahoy Hoy…

Having lived in Chengdu for the best part of five years it’s amazing to think back to what was available in the way of western comforts back then. Forget about a good beer, and if you fancied something western to eat you were given the choice of either Peters or Grandmas (Not knocking either, still serve a valuable purpose).

Nowadays we have decent pizza, very good BBQ, a whole host of good bars serving good beer (albeit at a western price) and all manor of other places of interest.

My question is, wht else would you like to see open in Chengdu to cater to ex-pats that you think the locals would also buy into? A new bar catering to US sports replayed at a decent time? some food you’d like to see perhaps? A dirty kebab shop or something.

Just a bit of fun, and may also inspire people if they know a market exists for something.

love and hugs

Keymaster

Right now I am really missing:

• Clean air
    • Sunshine
    • Stars

In terms of products and services:

• Good live music. Little Bar is good. Outside of that it is like a wasteland.
    • Authentic Vietnamese pho (Dazhong in Tongzilin is the best I’ve found but the quality seems to have gone downhill recently)
    • A real sports bar (I don’t want to go to Shamrock or Mooney’s)
    • Another Western coffee shop or lounge, or two. I miss Kafe Stugan (Swedish cafe which closed a while ago)
    • More authentic ethnic and regional American food. Panda Libre by Mike’s Pizza Kitchen is a welcome addition, more places like that would be great. In the same vein as Johnny 5, Red Beard, Lazy Pug, etc.
    • Lunch delivery services with healthy options would be great. Pickings are slim on apps like 百度外卖. There are a few Chinese services which have started to do this.
    • More high-quality events hosted by expats, for expats. Recently I’ve been checking out some of the comedy nights at Bookworm, those are fun. More events like that would be great. There used to be a photography club, it’s too bad that has fallen off.
    Participant

Pro sports that you can see live, in the stadium, whether that be soccer/Aussie rules/NBL/NFL/NHL etc. etc. That’s what I really miss. It’s one reason why weekends here are just normal days, nothing special.

Participant

a park where you can sit on the grass

belgian fries

Participant

Perhaps it is missing foreigners that could populate the establishments and events that you are looking for Charlie. I am sure that there used to be more of them both here and in the city – virtually everybody who I knew has gone back home.

But the air has been better for the last few days (or the air filters are lying to me) and I saw a ‘very faint star last night.

Keymaster

Perhaps it is missing foreigners that could populate the establishments and events that you are looking for Charlie. I am sure that there used to be more of them both here and in the city – virtually everybody who I knew has gone back home. But the air has been better for the last few days (or the air filters are lying to me) and I saw a ‘very faint star last night.

I wonder about how the expat population here fluctuates. I feel the same way, that a lot of people have left. When I debate this with my girlfriend, she responds with things like “But there are so many new foreigners at the Poly Center”. I wonder what the real deal is with the expat population in Chengdu, and whether it is expanding or contracting. Either way, it is hard to see long-term friends depart (miss you, Sascha!)

Participant

-Sun

-Air

-Healthy food

Participant

How about Spanish food? Or like a Tex Mex place? What about things like wine tastings – where you have a mix of locals & expats? Where can we find those?

Participant

Good, classic rock and roll.. and a decent disco that plays it 😉

Participant

A real kebab shop.

A decent music scene (same old bands same old songs).

Higher quality Western food. After spending a few weeks in Chiang Mai the Western food options are just on another level compared to Chengdu, but that’s due to the amount of tourists demanding high quality food.

The Western options at TKL are over priced and just substandard.

As Charlie mentioned places like Mike’s etc are the only decent places we have at the moment.

I feel like our options are still limited.

Participant

Someone could open a real buffalo wings place. Mike’s is fine of course, but there could be a dedicated spot. I’ve had many versions of chinese hot wings and they all pretty much sucked -except local flavored bbq style. they’re the easiest thing in the world to make, you just have to create the atmosphere.

Participant

Thanks Charlie, nice to see Kaffestugan’s name pop up 🙂

Daniel

Participant

Chengdu is always humid and cloudy.

Participant

– Easily accessible information in English about outdoor destinations around the city: what, where, how to get there, what you can do there, facilities available or not available, with pictures and good maps.

– clean air
    – traffic police giving everyone that goes against the traffic (especially ebikes) a fine.
    – clean supermarkets, with spotless veggie and meat departments
    – children swim classes in English, in an affordable, warm pool, taught in a way kids enjoy.

Participant

Sunshine

Stars

Fresh air

Smoothe lawn to sit on

No horn blowing

Appled safety measures (i.e. street crossing)

Sports bar & grill

Participant

Has anyone been to the new Five Elephants cafe in Chengdu? If so, how is it?

Any Germans who can comment on how it stacks up to their Berlin cafe?

I was psyched when I saw that Chengdu had gotten a specialty Coffee shop, and can’t wait to geek out over it when I get back.

here’s the (poorly written) article where I found out about it

Build-Outs of Summer: Five Elephant Coffee In Chengdu, China

Participant

Fresh clear air is what I missing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.