What is the Best VPN?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat is the Best VPN?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What VPN do you all use/what’s the best one to use? Doesn’t have to be free, just one thats fast and keeps a strong connection

Keymaster

The two most commonly recommended these days seem to be StrongVPN and Astrill. Free VPN’s are slow and unreliable, I would avoid them all together.

Participant

Based on my experience I would class Strong as operational 90% of the time, however, this may well have degraded recently based on comments here. I then upgraded to a D-Link router to solve my wife’s flakey internet connection and Strong completely stopped working for me because they don’t support the D-Link protocols.

Is there a VPN which will work with a D-Link router and is it reliable?

Participant

I’ve been using ExpressVPN and having no problems (knock wood).

Participant

Strong VPN, Overplay, Express VPN, Pure VPN… all nice service…

Merior – I am assuming that your D-Link doesn’t support PPTP (GRE tunneling). Switching to L2TP or SSTP, both of which StrongVPN support, should solve your problem.

Participant

I’ve can’t recall having any issues with StrongVPN in the 5 or so years I’ve been using it (pretty much daily). Best customer service available, also.

Been using VPN Express for 2 years. never had a problem(knock wood)

Participant

Thanks Ben but StronVPN have just confirmed that my D-Link DR-619 is not supported. They were kind enough to provide a couple of links to router models that were supported but the links were predictably blocked by China. LOL

Merior – You should still give L2TP or SSTP a try. You might save yourself some money.

Participant

Strong stopped working for me a few weeks ago. Even if it connected Facebook was still blocked, but then unblocked sites were unusably slow. I tried changing the settings and have yet to find alternate settings that could connect & ended up just trying something else.

Participant

As you might know, China has been more actively fighting foreign VPNs for the last couple of months. A simple Google search and numerous conversations with StrongVPN’s support staff confirmed this. We gave up on VPN’s altogether and, for now, go with this simple free approach:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/11/29/no-vpn-no-problem-a-new-way-around-chinas-great-firewall/

There’s a lot of websites we can’t access, but it scratches the FB/Twitter bug…

Care should be taken when copying and pasting stuff in to your hosts file. You could easily end up being tricked in to redirecting yourself to a phishing site which steals your username and password.

Keymaster

There’s a lot of websites we can’t access, but it scratches the FB/Twitter bug…

What hosts changes did you make to set this up? I hadn’t even heard about this as a method to access blocked sites in China.

Participant

having trouble finding the exact instructions i used… but some variation of the search “hosts file modify mac china” (i use the canadian google.ca website as it’s not blocked here). be careful though, messing with terminal can be dangerous as i think you know. but i got the list of IPs that i pasted into the hosts file directly from google (they update them every few months from what i hear). it included all google services, youtube (which i can access, but the videos won’t play…), facebook, twitter, and a few others i think.

if i find the instructions i used, i’ll post.

Participant

I use Google’s DNS as primary DNS server (8.8.8.8), but as Ben mentioned, changing your hosts file isn’t a good idea for public services.

cool. I just tried this. Confirmed to work. Facebook access without a vpn.

Participant

FB still doesn’t work for me. Though oddly the FB app on my iPhone has been working without VPN since last weekend (at least as of last night.)

Participant

does anybody have the host files or address for FB?

just copy/paste this into your hosts file, and make sure you’re using https:// :

173.252.110.27 http://www.facebook.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.