What's the Story?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhat's the Story?

• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

link below:

anyone knows what this was all about?

Keymaster

I don’t see a link.

Participant
    Participant

TL;DR but looks like some shitty article about laowai VS chinese on some case.

Participant

a foreign guy took a bus and inserted 0.2 Yuan coins, when the driver told him it should be 2 Yuan, he just ignored like he didn’t understand what the driver was saying (it might be true). when the bus went pass his station, he draged the steering wheel from the drivers hand trying to make the bus stop. when he finally get off, he knocked the drivers head with his hand

Keymaster

Sounds legit – it’s not very unbelievable.

TL;DR but looks like some shitty article about laowai VS chinese on some case.

China Daily is the epitome of shitty journalism. Nothing on there is ever good, it’s a rule.

Participant

Sounds reasonable.
    All over 1.8 rmb or a missed stop? Fuck. Both of them should be ashamed. Grabbing a bus driver’s steering wheel is a *terrible idea* and that fucktard should be very happy he didn’t kill anyone in the process, but then again – the way many busses drive in Chengdu, I wouldn’t be surprised if they constantly have people grabbing at the wheel.

Keymaster

Sounds reasonable. All over 1.8 rmb or a missed stop? Fuck. Both of them should be ashamed. Grabbing a bus driver’s steering wheel is a *terrible idea* and that fucktard should be very happy he didn’t kill anyone in the process, but then again – the way many busses drive in Chengdu, I wouldn’t be surprised if they constantly have people grabbing at the wheel.

I suppose I just assume that crazy shit happens regularly in a city with ten million people. Had the bus ran over a crowd of people, that would really be extraordinary. Seems like a sensationalist “foreigners are so unruly” article that China Daily is famous for. If this were about a Chinese person who grabbed the wheel, this would not be newsworthy at all.

Participant

Seems like a sensationalist “foreigners are so unruly”

I don’t know about that. This is just describing what happened. I don’t see any racism or straight up bullshit in this story like there was in one 2 hours before it which was MUCH more aggressive and essentially a “laowai hit piece” – the bus driver was even quoted saying foreign country people are typically so respectful of safety etc. – you’ll notice the words used to describe the foreigner are also different in this 2-hr earlier version:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqgj/jryw/2014-08-26/content_12262810.html

This source calls ’em “laowai” throughout, does not have any actual quotes like “it wasn’t painful, it was just insulting” or anything and instead says like, “he beat the driver and sped away”.. it’s way more of a drag foreigners through the mud. Hope the contrast is obvious 😀

Keymaster

I don’t know about that. This is just describing what happened. I don’t see any racism or straight up bullshit in this story like there was in one 2 hours before it which was MUCH more aggressive and essentially a “laowai hit piece”

The story is “Foreigner does some crazy shit on a bus” which people read and go “Those foreigners are so crazy!”

No one would care if some Chinese guy grabbed the wheel and that was the end of the story.

Just my $0.02. I personally take The Onion much more seriously than China Daily.

Participant

Just my $0.02. I personally take The Onion much more seriously than China Daily.

Sorry Charlie, it’s $0.20. Please don’t hit me.

Participant

@Charlie
    I get what you mean, but read the other story, and contrast — *relatively* speaking, the earlier released story put the first one posted here in perspective for me, and I took this one a lot more ‘reasonably’.. I guess it’s kind of like saying it’s better shit than the terrible bullshit that was spewed beforehand, but still shit, however the “laowai” one was much more……offensive, and ridiculous. 😀

Keymaster

Seems like a sensationalist “foreigners are so unruly”

I don’t know about that. This is just describing what happened. I don’t see any racism or straight up bullshit in this story like there was in one 2 hours before it which was MUCH more aggressive and essentially a “laowai hit piece” – the bus driver was even quoted saying foreign country people are typically so respectful of safety etc. – you’ll notice the words used to describe the foreigner are also different in this 2-hr earlier version: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqgj/jryw/2014-08-26/content_12262810.html This source calls ‘em “laowai” throughout, does not have any actual quotes like “it wasn’t painful, it was just insulting” or anything and instead says like, “he beat the driver and sped away”.. it’s way more of a drag foreigners through the mud. Hope the contrast is obvious

Sure, it’s all relative. There are plenty of articles from reputable websites making fun of China Daily for valid reasons (including brazen racism), but I have had my own bad experience with China Daily, which you can read about here.

Participant

Well amount of anti laowai rethorics is small due to small number of them around. Try going Dalian, or Shanghai (Beijing is under strict control in that regard) and you will learn a lot about yourself 🙂

Just another tool in China internal politics. 100 years ago we were foreign devils, 50 years ago anyone not from USSR was capitalist spy… ^_^ Compared to , say, Japan or Korea, China is pretty relaxing place right now.

Participant

I was recently shown on several news channels including a website (That didn’t even bother to cover my face)along with other English teachers,  in an article describing how English teachers are overpaid and under qualified. Apparently I make rmb280-400 per hour(That would be nice) my name is Andy(who the fuck is Andy?) and I have no qualifications with little experience.(have TEFL and have been teaching for a long time) Also that I don’t even use a book just have a piece of paper (the class requires me to design my own lesson plan according to the English level of the students) According to them the lesson does not seem worth the money because I only talk about daily life, well you want a fucking legal or science English lesson? No problemo! Although it might be true that some teachers are not qualified, and the article is in general and not particularly about me specifically, if you are going to make someone the posterchild of overpaid under qualified teachers, choose one that actually fits the profile.

I agree with Rick, grabbing the steering wheel of anything that you are not driving yourself is probably not the best idea,  but as many other foreigners agree, they really seem to be targeting foreigners and try their best to make them look bad.

Keymaster

I agree with Rick, grabbing the steering wheel of anything that you are not driving yourself is probably not the best idea, but as many other foreigners agree, they really seem to be targeting foreigners and try their best to make them look bad.

The “us versus them” mentality is a significant component of domestic psychology here. You will frequently hear “foreigners are…”, which is a demonstration of this, and essentially a meaningless “the other 6 billion people on the planet…” statement. It’s all to say “we are different from you”, which is the underlying message behind laowai hit pieces that you so frequently find in state-owned media like China Daily.

Participant

I saw that Ragga, on SCTV I think.. or CDTV. They sent some reporters to some scam schools which had definitely very high pricing for students and found out that those teachers are working illegally/under qualified (ie. something like ‘no degree’, not ‘unable to teach’, which would be much harder to prove).

I think a lot of the report was kinda true, but it did seem kind of like a hit piece on foreigners in general – I mean, I didn’t see them talk about anything around the legitimate teachers who have their work permits in order, or the well-qualified uni instructors, or anything like that…only the negative sides of the industry here. There has been a lot of stoking the fire against laowai lately though, some stuff far worse than either of these two news bits — they also had a news piece on foreigners in other countries selling stuff online and somehow infecting their products with bacterium/infectious agents when they expressed it over. How ridiculous is that.

Participant

it’s the same thing every year: World bad. China good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.