What part of Chengdu are you interested in living in?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat part of Chengdu are you interested in living in?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What part of Chengdu are you interested in staying in?

I work as an English-speaking house agent in Chengdu, can i know which part of Chengdu is your favorite place? Thanks

Keymaster

Yulin, Zhongnan, Zhongbei, Tongzilin, Hejiangting near the river

Participant

I’ve just moved to Yulin after living in Zongbei for about 7 years. It’s funny, cos Zongbei used to be described by some as a “foreign ghetto”, but i feel that it has more a “real China” feel than YuLin (I should point out that i live on Yulin Xi Lu, so maybe that explains my feeling). Actually i kinda miss old Zongbei…

The one area I DONT like is Tongzilin; overpriced apartments, vegies, basically everything. “European Street”! Totally stupid concept…..

Keymaster

I didn’t know you moved to Yulin Xi lu, that’s right down the street from me. I lived in Zongnan for years as well, I liked it there also although the neighborhood isn’t nearly as nice as Yulin. Yulin is well maintained, has everything you need, and most importantly has a community feeling. It’s the best place I’ve lived in Chengdu and I’ve lived in every quadrant of the city except the North.

Tongzilin is expensive but it’s not expensive for no reason. High quality housing, nice atmosphere and their own subway stop.

Participant

Actualy, Shuangnan is pretty nice too. I could see myself living there, but that’s a LONG way from Panda club! Damn, that’s a taxi ride and a half!

Keymaster

Shuangnan is very far indeed but it is active with all the clubs and restaurants in that area.

Participant

Last week while strolling around the east music park some of us were commenting that some of the unrenovated factories would make awesome apartments: 20 foot ceilings, huge industrial windows, exposed brickwork, panda 2 mins away. That’s where i wanna live!

Participant

yeah especially if you lived in the d-max. bonus: free movies

I enjoy where I live, sat right beside LKF in the Jinjiang district. It’s a 15 minute walk to downtown, and makes just about everywhere within the city limits accessible by taxi for 20-30RMB or less.

@ Tiger: I’d dig one of those converted spaces as a loft apartment, but can you imagine what the square meter would cost here right now!? Ouch.

@tigerkuma, Brendan

ditto, these imaginary lofts sound very sweet and I wouldn’t mind paying a slight premium on something like that.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Last week while strolling around the east music park some of us were commenting that some of the unrenovated factories would make awesome apartments: 20 foot ceilings, huge industrial windows, exposed brickwork, panda 2 mins away. That’s where i wanna live!

That would be incredible. I don’t think anything there will be residential, but that would be unbelievable. I’ve never seen someone living in a proper loft in Chengdu before.

Participant

@Brendan: yeah, you’d get more bang for your buck in many US cities right now (check out the NYT real estate section) Somehow though, i don’t think the locals here are too interested in a blank canvas fix-er-upper!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Brendan: yeah, you’d get more bang for your buck in many US cities right now (check out the NYT real estate section) Somehow though, i don’t think the locals here are too interested in a blank canvas fix-er-upper!

Totally, with the US shipping all its manufacturing jobs to China there is loft space available in a lot of major cities. Detroit, Baltimore, NYC, etc.

Quote:
    Totally, with the US shipping all its manufacturing jobs to China there is loft space available in a lot of major cities. Detroit, Baltimore, NYC, etc.

Cue grease ball realty agents creating yet another temporary property bubble! The same thing happened to Vancouver… Previous factories and warehouses were originally developed into government subsidised Live/Work spaces, geared specifically to Vancouver’s creative community. Some of the buildings were awesome, with communal printing presses, recording studios, and some fantastic facilities for the communities within them. Though some of these remain, the strength of the developers dollar has eroded the motive significantly, leaving Vancouver’s landscape a bland cookie cutter sea of same.

Participant

@brendan: really? How about all this “most liveable city in the world” hype?

The same thing happens in Melbourne all the time: inner city area develops lively arts scene, upwardly mobile people move in but contribute little, rents increase, creative types split in search of a new neighbourhood (my brother substitutes “creative types” for “hipster douchebags”). If you see a guy with a “hipster douchebag” t-shirt tonight, that’s me!

@ Tiger: LOL!! Absolutely… Vancouver has become one of the most gentrified cities I’ve ever seen (or lived in) within record time. Without distracting this thread too far South, what you’ve seen in Melbourne has absolutely happened there, charged chiefly by the 2010 Winter Olympics. I arrived there in ’07, taking full advantage of the boom, but what I witnessed was the rapid white washing of what could have been an epic tale of city planning. British Columbia dropped billions on the Olympic buzz, loosened by-laws for developers, and shifted the entire city’s hopes onto the Olympic roulette wheel. Epic fail.

I recall first being in Melbourne in ’03, and it felt like a city with real promise. Absolutely loved St. Kilda, but there were already signs of some horrifically bland developments shaping up. I walked around a few out of curiosity, and distinctly remember just how cold and detached they felt in comparison to the easy feel of Melbourne. I’d be curious to go back and see how it’s shaped up. I was there again in ’06, but only very briefly.

Participant

Brendan – St Kilda got gentrified like nobody’s business. It’s all Nando’s and wanky cafes. All of the eastern suburbs have pretty much gone the same way apparently. West of the CBD is where it’s at now – Footscray, Yarraville, Kensington etc.

sorry this was totally off topic.

I do love Yulin though. Yulin market on a Saturday morning is the best place in the world.

Participant

@lovesiwo, which market are you refering to? i also love Yulin, and i lived in Yulin for 20 years, it’s the best area in CD

Participant

Hi, I have a brand new apartment want to rent out. The compound is called Shenxianshu Dayuan 神仙树大院.It is nice and cozy with all the furnitures and household appliances.Every thing is new. There are livingroom, bathroom(western toilet),kitchen,1 bedroom, two balconies.

My apartment is near Tongzilin and Zijing area where many foreigners live in but less expensive than those places. 25 mins walk to Carrefuor, 10 mins to Starbucks and 5 mins to fresh market…

We just finished decorating the place and didn’t give the info to housing agent yet. If you are intersted, please contact me directly via email: [email protected]

An English speaking landlord could make you save the commission for estate agent 🙂

Participant

I might be living i Manhatten starting late Febuary. This would be my weekend flat, while keeping my original apt near the school i work at. Cant wait, i can have a life again! And able to bring girls back ;).

Ill be able to afford it by teaching bjj. So if anyone is intereted in bjj, contact me, or if anyone wants to chill def lets do that!!!

Do many members here live near Manhat?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.