What's the verdict on this mysterious liquor?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat's the verdict on this mysterious liquor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Back in the States, whiskey was my drink of choice. My go-to was Seagrams 7. Can’t really be beat at $20/1.75 liters. I’m not so tempted to pay more than that for 750ml of some fancy-schmancy Dewars or Jack.

I’ve seen some REALLY nasty looking jugs of engine cleaner high alcohol stuff, but I’m too attached to my stomach lining to take a shot at that. But I did notice a brown jug of 38% alcohol liquid.

What is that stuff?

It’s got the same alcohol content as whiskey, and it at least looks like it, but I’m not sure.

Any tips? Help a boozehound out.

Thanks.

Participant

brother,

That is the sweet baijiu made from “stuff” that includes Chinese medicine – like sweet syrupy Chinese whiskey. If you like to mix (seagrams drinker) then a “chinese whiskey on tonic” or just real cold is ok.

Other than that my friend, you’re gonna have to pay for whiskey. Chinese liquor, in general, tastes like shit.

I typically drink it neat. From the way you just described it, I’m picking it up next time I see it.

Thanks much!

Keymaster

I like (some) baijiu. The cheap shit is like drinking rubbing alcohol, though.

I’m still bemused by alcohol prices here. I’ve seen $10 bottles of wine going for $80 in a supermarket, and then I see legit bottles of Absolut for 178 RMB.

As for Chinese liquor, I’ve had some awesome nips in all kinds of little Sichuan restaurants, with prices anywhere from 2-25 RMB for a little shot glass. The sour liquors I prefer far and away to the often sickly sweet varieties, but then at 2 RMB a go, no one should be complaining!

Participant

Fond memories of drinking a pint or two of “Louie Wang” Brandy and playing with fireworks during my first chinese new years celebration. It was warfare.

Keymaster

What is “Louie Wang” brandy?

Every foreigner in China should have a wasted on Baijiu story. It’s practically a rite of passage. It’s only a matter of time until you encounter one of those guys who will urge you to prove that you can drink more than him. He’ll be telling that story for the next year.

Participant

@Charlie it is some semi-drinkable mysterious dark liquor sold at Carrefour.

My wasted experience on ye-old homemade baijiu in Beichuan has been told many a’ time.

@HillaryClinton Time to get your baijiu on, Johnny.

Participant

@Charlie

Yes I think we all have the Baijiu story. Mine was in Chengdu Feb 2005, having Chinese New Year at my wife’s families factory out of town somewhere in a small village. All the gongren were there and they all wanted to toast with the laowai. Now I can handle my drink especially Whisky and Vodka, thought this wouldnt be a problem. I had to drink with around 100 workers, cut to 20 minutes later and I was wasted. Lets go explore this peasant village, meet the locals! I was walking into peoples houses, saying hello, having a good look around and promptly got lost.

Next day woke up with a killer hangover and some very interesting photos on my camera and no recollection of them being taken, including me posing with a giant Samari sword for some reason…hmmmm

Baijiu has never been touched since.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Next day woke up with a killer hangover and some very interesting photos on my camera and no recollection of them being taken, including me posing with a giant Samari sword for some reason…

Hahahaha.. that is an epic baijiu story.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.