What's Up with Google?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhat's Up with Google?

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ben I’m not a massive torrent downloader just the occasional TV show that I can’t find on pptv.  I use utorrent on my mac.  As I said openVPN seems to be the most stable for me at the moment.

Participant

I’m totally with ben on the torrents/vpn combo.

There are rarely cases where you could end up with *better* torrent speeds via VPN, forgetting the DMCAs sent to provider issues. The only case I’d imagine is where a large block of peers can’t be connected to because of the GFW, which doesn’t really happen it seems.

Participant

As soon as this block goes away I will go back…. Maybe it will never go away?

Keymaster

As soon as this block goes away I will go back…. Maybe it will never go away?

I wouldn’t hold your breath… as time passes controls on the internet in the PRC have gotten more oppressive and restrictive, not less.

Participant

Just another quick question anybody been experiencing slow internet speed as we’ll?

Keymaster

Just another quick question anybody been experiencing slow internet speed as we’ll?

Yes, but not much slower than usual. Domestic sites like Baidu and Youku operate virtually at lightning speed and anything non-Chinese loads slowly, with or without VPN.

Participant

Same as Charlie, here. With a VPN, I’m still waiting ages for YouTube to load in 360p. But Yukou and Tudou are lickety split.

Torrents with a decent amount of peers and domestic sites are fast. Foreign sites and VPNs are extremely variable, ranging from acceptable to  slow or unusable at peek times.

Participant

For torrents, if a local person can help you, get a “Xunlei VIP” account, and then use their download app to download the torrent.  I think they cache a lot of popular torrent files.  If you are a VIP and they have the file on local cache, you get to download them at BLAZING speed – i’m talking about 1-2MB (Mega BYTE) per second.

If your VPN is DPIed, try connect to the VPN server by IP address.  My provider senvpn was blocked for a while, strangely only by Unicom, and connecting to the IP address directly did the trick.

If you are a VIP and they have the file on local cache, you get to download them at BLAZING speed – i’m talking about 1-2MB (Mega BYTE) per second.

I would imagine that most people with fibre connections, which are at least 20Mb/s, are downloading popular torrents at 1-2MB/s anyway. It really doesn’t seem that fast anymore.

Keymaster

I would imagine that most people with fibre connections, which are at least 20Mb/s, are downloading popular torrents at 1-2MB/s anyway. It really doesn’t seem that fast anymore.

Jealous, ‘miring your fast internets. Hopefully fiber comes to my neighborhood soon but I’m not holding my breath. All old developments.

Jealous, ‘miring your fast internets. Hopefully fiber comes to my neighborhood soon but I’m not holding my breath. All old developments.

It took over a year for our complex to be upgraded to fiber. The main issue was that the wuguan wouldn’t agreed to the modifications required for the installation without a brown envelope. I don’t know why they eventually gave in. I’m just glad they did.

I hear that another common issue is the wuguan receiving kickbacks from Greatwall Broadband. This makes them reluctant to let China Telecom or Unicom in the door.

Keymaster

It took over a year for our complex to be upgraded to fiber. The main issue was that the wuguan wouldn’t agreed to the modifications required for the installation without a brown envelope. I don’t know why they eventually gave in. I’m just glad they did. I hear that another common issue is the wuguan receiving kickbacks from Greatwall Broadband. This makes them reluctant to let China Telecom or Unicom in the door.

That’s pretty seedy. Hoping rampant corruption gives me some kind of crack at faster internet soon.

Participant

Here’s what’s up with Google.

IT’S BACK M’FERS!

Bye Bing, didn’t enjoy using you.

Here’s what’s up with Google. IT’S BACK M’FERS!

A bit premature with your announcement? Time to crawl back to Bing with flowers and an apology? Google services are still blocked from here 🙁

Participant

It worked all last night for me – then this morning it didn’t work, then it worked when I went to google.ca – I don’t know.. maybe it was a mistake, maybe it’s taking time to propagate changes, maybe there are routing changes at our ISPs, all I know is I had a breath of fresh air last night.

I can’t test myself from here atm, but blockedinchina.net shows both google.com and google.com.hk as OK.. (http://www.blockedinchina.net/?siteurl=google.com.hk)

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.