Internet Service & Speed in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInternet Service & Speed in Chengdu

• This topic has 200 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoPk_c.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Participant

RE: “because I certainly haven’t heard of any news of any attempts to develop a faster broadband network in China for years”

They have done significant developments. I remember reading China Unicom news releases about their improvements to outside-China latency and throughput.. you may not see the news because you’re not reading the right sources 😉 I don’t imagine these type of corporate press releases make many mainstream headlines..

RE: DMCA

You can’t use VPN services with servers hosted in countries that protect IP / enforce regulation on piracy. That includes most modernized nations. Instead, what I do is this:

* I use VPN on the PC I hook up to my TV for gaming, youtube, hulu, etc.

* I don’t use VPN on my iMac which sits in it’s own workspace basically now a days just used as a downloading machiine, queuing up massive amounts of EZTV/kat.ph downloads

* I map the storage drive on my download box to bigscreen box and stream shows/movies once they download.

If you just have 1 PC, make sure you turn off your torrent program before you connect to VPN, or they *will* kill your service after multiple violations.

@Rick, good to know. I’m probably just being picky.

Quote:
    or they *will* kill your service after multiple violations.

who’s “they” ?

Participant

Probably the VPN provider

really? I’ve been using mine to torrent for about a year. No issues, no warnings.

Participant

@Chris

Which service / country does your VPN pipe you through to? DMCA tracks torrent downloaders and generally, they’ll issue warnings/threats to service providers hosting IPs in countries they have some legal clout.

If you use a private tracker then the likelihood of a DMCA warning is greatly reduced. This is how seedbox providers survive.

It also depends on what you download. They tend to track newer content. Most warnings are given over cams of movies currently playing in the Cinema, or unreleased PC games.

RE: fast broadband. China Telecom now offer 20Mb/s fiber to some residential customers who live in the right buildings in the right areas. I transferred a file from a server in Europe to a friend who has their service and it transferred at a consistent 2.6MB/s.

Participant

Ahahahah I know, I know… I want only share this for smile together about DMCA copyright “war”…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    RE: fast broadband. China Telecom now offer 20Mb/s fiber to some residential customers who live in the right buildings in the right areas. I transferred a file from a server in Europe to a friend who has their service and it transferred at a consistent 2.6MB/s.

Any idea which buildings or areas offer this service?

Participant

I think its hit or miss. My neighbor when through the rigamarole of inquiring whether his building supported the 20M service, upgrading, only to discover his building wasn’t supported, then having to go through the trouble of downgrading.

You can check if your complex has fiber here. You need to live in a fiber area which I guess you do, and the building will need to be cabled which is less likely. If they plan to or are currently cabling your complex then it will tell you that. The status of mine is under construction, but I can’t see anything happening! If you don’t have fiber then you can vote to have your complex converted.

look here dudes

this is speed

matt471 – Off topic. We are talking about home connections in China. Anyone can post a link to a decent speed test from outside China.

Participant

Yeah sorry matt471, ben is right.

@Rick, I use GoTrusted. I switch around between some US IPs, Ireland, and HK depending on how frustrated I am with the speed at the time hoping another IP will be faster. So far, no issues, (fingers crossed).

@Vincent, dat bandwidth

Participant
    Quote:
    I switch around between some US IPs, Ireland, and HK depending on how frustrated I am with the speed at the time hoping another IP will be faster.

Lol sounds familiar. I’ve switched around so often that I eventually started knowing which one was most reliable depending on the time of the day. However I’ve gotta say ever since 12vpn started with offering Viscosity as their OpenVPN client, somehow speed and stability have gotten way better. I always use the same (US San Jose) server now and sometimes I don’t even have to wait for YouTube vids to buffer! First world problems…

Participant

Ping test:

Aipu Sichuan Network

70965915.png

Aipu Sichuan Network with VPN to Singapore

70966041.png

China Tietong

70966103.png

China Tietong with VPN to Singapore

70966145.png

China Telecom business fiber connection at my office

2278588489.png

Keymaster
    Quote:
    China Telecom business fiber connection at my office

Wow, any idea what kind of cost is associated with that kind of connection? I’m sure it’s expensive but do you have a ballpark figure? I might be able to pitch fiber to my office if it’s available in the software park.

Quote:
    Wow, any idea what kind of cost is associated with that kind of connection?

3000RMB/month for 10Mb/s up and down

Participant

I hate my ADSL line but for now 3000rmb/month it’s expencive… i understand for the office it’s useful!

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 201 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.