Internet Service & Speed in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInternet Service & Speed in Chengdu

• This topic has 200 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoPk_c.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Brendan, you must take your modem and put this in the microwave for 5 minutes… after will works better… don’t forget barbecue sauce!

a day I want an ADSL in China without problems too…

Participant

Just arrived back in Chengdu after a year away. It seems like the internet speeds are pretty bad now. I’m at the same location I was before but now internet speed is quite bad and nearly unusable for foreign websites with or without a VPN. It seems to be fast for Chinese sites but something is up with sites/servers outside of China. Anyone else having trouble? Any ideas on how to improve this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Just arrived back in Chengdu after a year away. It seems like the internet speeds are pretty bad now. I’m at the same location I was before but now internet speed is quite bad and nearly unusable for foreign websites with or without a VPN. It seems to be fast for Chinese sites but something is up with sites/servers outside of China. Anyone else having trouble? Any ideas on how to improve this?

Same problem for me, good surfing in local website, bad on international net… with a VPN a decent speed…

Curiously my home internet (4Mbps) has been faster this month, my Vuze downloads have been hitting 700+Kb/Sec. It’s been rare to see anything over 500. My guess is however is this is a unique case, and I have in fact been incorrectly connected to someone’s (secret) fast line by mistake. I’m expecting my speed to crash back to retard any day.

100M fiber? Why’s the upload still so bad?

Me on 20M. Sunday noon.

Yep. That’s the deal, 100 down/2 up for 299RMB/month.

Looks like everyone’s speed tests will improve now that China Telecom has added a server to their network.

Keymaster

Yep. That’s the deal, 100 down/2 up for 299RMB/month. Looks like everyone’s speed tests will improve now that China Telecom has added a server to their network.

You guys and your fast internets… one of these days I should just go to the China Telecom office and see if there is any upgrade path available for me in my old residential building. I’m capped around 450k/s and have been for a few years now. Fortunately it’s still fast enough to stream 720p on Youtube about 80% of the time.

Just had my fibre reinstalled as some b*stard cut the original cable that went up the side of the building. I did a speed test and noticed that I now have 10Mb/s up:

Participant

Nice! I haven’t even upgraded my ‘net from 20mbit, not in a hurry…. tried once but didn’t have passport, and passport is apparently required in order to make any account changes. That’s some good looking speed test, Ben!

Participant

How much is it for the 100MB line? Is there any increase in speed noticeable on brwosing foreign websites?

What about using a VPN? Does that work faster as well?

I’m afraid that spending the extra cash on getting a faster connection might not help that much because the Chinese firewall is probably still what makes everything so slow. And upgrading your hardware doesn’t help that.

Or does it?

Participant

I’ll upgrade next weekend when I’m here/free in daytime and update on the topic, can do a full speed test and log the results, go switch, and check again less than an hour later. 😀 I think it’s about 150rmb/month more than the 20mbit version. Right now I pay around 160/month for the 20mbit & iptv package, really quite reasonable.. really *good* when compared to most countries.

Participant

I just looked it up online.

10MB/s = 129rmb

20MB/s = 169rmb

50MB/s = 259rmb

100MB/s = 299rmb

So it’s probably just a flip between 20 or 100MB/s.

Looking forward to your review.

My only concern is actually just Teamviewer/Skype. I do a lot of online meetings with screensharing and in evenings it’s most of the time literally impossible to do this because of poor internet. With a VPN it’s just slightly better, and while they do okay for browsing YouTube etc, I’ve found it’s still too slow for screensharing. For some reason everything works best during mornings, but at that time it’s midnight in Europe. I wonder if upgrading my connection would help anything at all.

You won’t notice any different on browsing foreign sites between 20Mb/s and 100Mb/s. I doubt you would notice much difference between 4Mb/s and 100Mb/s! You should see a dramatic increase in your bittorrent speeds on popular torrents.

I wonder if upgrading my connection would help anything at all.

No, it won’t. The money would be better spent renting a VPS in HK that has direct peering with China Telecom. Then create an IPSEC tunnel or some kind of traffic obfuscation with OpenVPN to it.

FYI, my upload has returned to 2Mb/s. No idea how I got 10Mb/s yesterday.

The money would be better spent renting a VPS in HK that has direct peering with China Telecom. Then create an IPSEC tunnel or some kind of traffic obfuscation with OpenVPN to it.

how to guide pls

Participant

Hey, question for anyone who has internet in Chengdu:

I need to upload about 30 mb worth of files for my job through gmail quite often, is the internet in Chengdu suitable for this? Or will it take forever to upload 30 mb worth of stuff through gmail? Which internet speed should I buy once I find my own place? For the record, I also use the PrivateInternetAccess VPN.

Participant

“30 mb worth of files”

No problem at all.

Depending where you live, you may be restricted on options – first pick a place, then figure out what you have available, and what’s in your budget. Personally fast enough internet to consume all my media is very important. 😀 It’s not that expensive here.. as you can see above.

Participant

No, it won’t. The money would be better spent renting a VPS in HK that has direct peering with China Telecom.

Do you have any recommendations for this? Googling for a VPS is a huge pain in the ass, because it’s full of paid marketing and the like. I found a handful that said “Direct peering with mainland China”, but their websites didn’t look that professional.

Keymaster

I finally went to China Telecom about upgrading to fiber and it turns out one of my neighbors in another 单元 got it set up already, so they came to install it today, running a cable about 80 feet outside to my apartment. It’s 10mb for now but I’ll be going back to the Telecom office to get it upgraded to 100mb. I was paying 188 rmb per month previously for 4mb (which was set up years ago) and now I’m paying 88 rmb for 10m fiber. 100mb costs 299/mo.

edit: upgraded to 100mb today, speedtest taken at 8pm Saturday evening:

Participant

I’m also interested in recommendations on VPS in Hong Kong. And if someone has a links to a guide that can be easily followed on how to set up one that would be great (I dont really know any commands in linux).

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 201 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.