Where Can I Get Cookie Dough?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhere Can I Get Cookie Dough?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I figured Carrefour or Sabrina’s would have this, but no dice. I looked on Taobao and not much luck there, either. Any advice on how to resolve this situation? I have an oven, I’m not just going to eat the cookie dough directly, although I may do that as well.

Thanks for any cookie dough guidance. I would prefer to buy locally, if possible, but I have a hard time imagining where will have this if not Sabrina’s.

Participant

Haven’t seen cookie dough at all.. checked waifood – nil, just cookies. You can make it easily enough, although it’d be easier with an automatic mixer of sorts. I brought vanilla extract to China with that in mind but never got around to it. I also don’t know if you can buy baking powder..

Participant

If not mistaken METRO has it.

I was looking for sour cream and couldn’t find it as well. Do you have any ideas? I’m new in Chengdu so maybe just don’t know the right places to check.

Participant

Ole supermarket in the basement of MixC mall has a lot of dairy products (I’m not sure about sour cream but they do have whipping cream and mascarpone when I was last there) and a good selection of all kind of baking mixes as well (cookies, bread, etc.). they also sell vanilla and other baking supplies. Good luck!

If not mistaken METRO has it.

I was looking for sour cream and couldn’t find it as well. Do you have any ideas? I’m new in Chengdu so maybe just don’t know the right places to check.

http://waifood.com/ has sour cream.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.16.pVvebx&id=36239018024&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail
    Found cookie dough. Not worth it at that price though.

Keymaster

I’m surprised that this is so difficult to find here. I will check MixC and Metro, and failing that, will look into making my own. If I find dough anywhere, I will post an update here.

Strangely, brownie mix is really easy to find. I figured the two would be sold together, for some reason.

Participant

@Chris@Lana Yes to waifood. Waifood is great – I just had a delivery yesterday..some ribs, chicken breasts, herby bagels, vodka (raspberry absolut for 82 kuai, wtf. Ikea across the street is like 109 or 119 or something), some pasta sauce base etc…lots of good stuff there. All delivered for free if you get a reasonable amount, the next day – in this case I ordered at like midnight and it was delivered the following afternoon. <3 Waifood.

Participant

Double acting baking powder is available from most branches of Hongqi (Red flag):

Participant

Thanks for waifood link;)

Participant

Charlie, you can always buy some of our cookie dough and bake it yourself.  Since we bake it fresh anyway we always have stock.  We use 250g to make our 9″ cookie, but you can break that up into several smaller cookies.

Keymaster

Charlie, you can always buy some of our cookie dough and bake it yourself. Since we bake it fresh anyway we always have stock. We use 250g to make our 9″ cookie, but you can break that up into several smaller cookies.

You sell cookie dough? Mike to the rescue. Sent you a PM.

Mike’s cookies are freakin delicious when they’re warm n fresh too. I’ll swing by your place, Charlie, when I smell those babies cooling in the window.

Participant

waifood looks awesome. great rec.

I’ve bought vanilla extract on taobao and from that broadway? grocery place around the corner from Mike’s. Not cheap, but that comes with the territory.

Baking powder at Hongqi? That’s huge news. I’ll have to go check at the one next door.

I know some expats who bake cookies on the reg. I’ll ask what they do for it, although I’m guessing they make their own dough.

Participant

Hi to all:

No need to purchase pre-made cookie dough as a basic cookie dough is the easiest thing that you can make and takes very little time (can whip up a batch in less than 10 minutes). Most of the ingredients for cookie dough can be found at hongqi (white sugar, brown sugar, flour, eggs and salt) while you may need to go to Carrefour or other larger stores for butter. The final ingredients (vanilla extract and baking soda) can be scored at Sabrina’s. Recipes can be easily found on all of the usual-suspect sites on the web; you can experiment with all kinds of cool recipes depending on what you are in the mood for (carrot spice, maple oat, etc.).

Notwithstanding, I would strongly recommend that you simply sit down and figure out the foods you wish to bake (maybe by pulling recipes down?) and then order the non-perishable staples off taobao. Some baking staples that I ordered:
    – Whole-wheat flour, raisins, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, maple extract, almond extract, baking soda and baking powder.

Other than an oven, you should also invest in a hand mixer (I think I bought at Ito a few years back).

Cheers!

Participant

I just love how you guys are exchanging cookie recipes! It reminds me of that time I happened to be on a ‘boys weekend out’ as the only woman in the group, and at dinner time most of the conversation was about where to find the best men’s hairdresser. Hahahaha!

I agree that making your own is easy, quick, and much more rewarding than buying readymade stuff.

bon appetit!

Participant

I’ve been trying to upload a picture of baking powder for the last couple of days without success, so for those who are interested, it is available at most larger branches of Hongqi (Red flag) supermarkets, usually in the section that they keep flour and it looks like this:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.83.nNpEMu&id=17653159112&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail

Yes to waifood. Waifood is great

Absolut for 82 rmb!? Damn.

Keymaster

Hi to all: No need to purchase pre-made cookie dough as a basic cookie dough is the easiest thing that you can make and takes very little time (can whip up a batch in less than 10 minutes). Most of the ingredients for cookie dough can be found at hongqi (white sugar, brown sugar, flour, eggs and salt) while you may need to go to Carrefour or other larger stores for butter. The final ingredients (vanilla extract and baking soda) can be scored at Sabrina’s. Recipes can be easily found on all of the usual-suspect sites on the web; you can experiment with all kinds of cool recipes depending on what you are in the mood for (carrot spice, maple oat, etc.). Notwithstanding, I would strongly recommend that you simply sit down and figure out the foods you wish to bake (maybe by pulling recipes down?) and then order the non-perishable staples off taobao. Some baking staples that I ordered: – Whole-wheat flour, raisins, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, maple extract, almond extract, baking soda and baking powder. Other than an oven, you should also invest in a hand mixer (I think I bought at Ito a few years back). Cheers!

This sounds like a great idea, I will get some dough from Mike but shoot for this solution in the long run. Thank you for posting this. I will look into a hand mixer as well.

Participant

My advice is to make your own cookie dough. MUCH cheaper than buying it & less mafan for you to try to find it.

Also, you can make sour cream by combining 1Cup (unsweet) whipping cream with 1Tbs of lemon juice or vinegar! The cheapest whipping cream price I’ve found here is at a store in the fish market area. You can also find other western style foods there for much cheaper than you’ll find at an import store or an import section. Butter will be half the price anywhere else; 14rmb for Anchor butter regular size.

You can make your own vanilla extract for cheap! Check it out at http://www.market2meal.com/2013/09/make-your-own-vanilla-extract.html

By the way, this website has made cooking life in Chengdu much easier! There are lots of helpful tips/info here besides recipes using local/cheap ingredients 🙂 Happy cooking.

Keymaster

My advice is to make your own cookie dough. MUCH cheaper than buying it & less mafan for you to try to find it.

I think this is good advice. I’m not in Chengdu at the moment, but when I get back, I will make my own cookie dough using the information I’ve collected here and through Mike. Thank you!

By the way, this website has made cooking life in Chengdu much easier! There are lots of helpful tips/info here besides recipes using local/cheap ingredients

Glad to hear that! Perhaps we can create some kind of more comprehensive resource for finding availability of difficult to find ingredients.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.