Where to Buy English Books?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere to Buy English Books?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Where do you guys buy your English books? I’d prefer a real shop over the internet as I can’t pay online in China and several times a package has not arrived at my apartment.

I know of the Bookworm, but are there any other places?

Keymaster

Unless you’re looking for books about learning Chinese, there aren’t many other options aside from Bookworm. There are a large bookstores in Chengdu that carry classic literature type novels in English, but I haven’t seen anywhere that carries much else.

In my opinion it doesn’t make a lot of sense to invest in physical books at this point with Kindles and iPads dramatically simplifying everything about buying and reading books. Especially for us, being outside of our home countries.

Amazon.cn and Taobao are options, reasonable prices and fast shipping.

Participant

I’m very happy with my amazon.cn experiences. They accept normal credit cards!

Next day delivery every time so far and super cheap, very impressed.

Participant

There’s a large bookstore on Wu Hua Ci Street, they carry classic lit. didn’t see any bestsellers. You can check Sim’s guest house, last time I was there I saw a selection of books in various languages. (just an option)

Participant

Another option: top floor of the gaoshengqiao mall off 1st ring road. They have some regional best sellers, like the Hornet’s Nest/Dragon Tattoo lady/whatever the fuck books that started selling off the hizzy a while ago. They also have a good supply of literature; the kind you’d be reading in any normal AP lit class. Prices are aight.

Participant

@ Charlie, I’m considering a Kindle. How much are bestseller on it on average?

@ Jenise, yes I was thinking about guest houses too thanks! I know at Nova hostel you can change 2 books for 1 new one.

@ Towelie, where’s this mall exactly or do you have the Chinese? I only have the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I’m interested in the other 2 books.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ Charlie, I’m considering a Kindle. How much are bestseller on it on average?

Average prices are comparable to the price of real books, sometimes less. I have purchased 40+ books on Kindle and I think 70% of them have been under $5 and I’ve maybe bought two books over $9.99. I check the Kindle Daily Deal every day and buy a lot of books for $1.99 though there. Often they feature really good books for low prices, in the last week I got Man in the High Castle and A Scanner Darkly for $1.99 each.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ Charlie, I’m considering a Kindle.

By the way, a new model of Kindle has just been released called the Kindle PaperWhite. It’s a really awesome front-lit design that makes reading in day or night easy and the device itself is tiny and pretty inexpensive.

I’ve never owned a Kindle device before (I always read on iPad) but I think I’m going to get a paperwhite since that device is so much smaller and lighter than iPad. I found a few vendors selling it on Taobao including one in Chengdu, and he said that they would be in stock by the end of this month. I think the price was around 800 yuan.

Participant
    Quote:
    I found a few vendors selling it on Taobao including one in Chengdu, and he said that they would be in stock by the end of this month.

The Paperwhite looks like a nice device. Once you get yours, let me know about this local vendor.

Participant

Hey Vincent & Charlie,

Have a kindle myself and I love it. Because it is just for reading only you kind of forget that it is a device. Good to buy a good cover though to protect the screen. It is really light and small it is great.

Check torrents for books.

I have quite a large collection if interested, all in kindle mobi format. You can convert documents and some different formats using Calibre (free) software with different levels of success

Participant
    Quote:
    I’ve never owned a Kindle device before (I always read on iPad)

Experience of reading books on an iPad doesn’t even come close to reading on any device with an E-ink screen. Seriously, if you haven’t tried it out yet, I recommend you to do so. I bet you would instantly buy one.

I’m a proud Kobo Touch eReader owner myself. Only downside is you have to convert Kindle books to EPUB if you want to buy from the Amazon store (which is easy). Kobo has their own store as well, but most of the books are slightly more expensive because they are in Euro’s.

Participant
    Quote:
    Check torrents for books.

I have quite a large collection if interested

Thanks Davey, I’ll let you know once I got one

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Experience of reading books on an iPad doesn’t even come close to reading on any device with an E-ink screen. Seriously, if you haven’t tried it out yet, I recommend you to do so. I bet you would instantly buy one.

I have, but I read a lot at night and the burdon of having to have a light on the Kindle is kind of a pain. The Paperwhite solves that problem!

Also I buy all of my books in the Amazon store already so I’ve invested a lot into that ecosystem and would probably only buy an Amazon device.

Participant
    Quote:
    I found a few vendors selling it on Taobao including one in Chengdu, and he said that they would be in stock by the end of this month. I think the price was around 800 yuan.

I was wondering if you have bought your Kindle PaperWhite already?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was wondering if you have bought your Kindle PaperWhite already?

The vendor said he would get in touch when he had them in stock and I haven’t heard anything yet. I know that there is a shortage of Paperwhites and they’re difficult to get right now, even if you’re in the US (evidenced by the 5-7 week shipping estimate provided on the Paperwhite on Amazon).

Since we’re already into November, I will contact the vendor and see if he has a more accurate estimate on when they’ll be available.

Participant

That’s too bad. Oh well, I got some books to keep me going for a while.

I was looking for some info about buying a Kindle, and stumbled on this thread. I was wondering if any of you ended up ordering one on taobao.

If you were satisfied with it, can you tell me who you bought it from? There are so many kindle sellers on taobao, it’s hard to know which one to pick.

I might also be interested if anyone wants to sell their old kindle.

Participant

I have a Kindle Touch. It’s easier to read than a book in low light and has the benefit of being able to scale the text. To boost the light you might want to get a case for it with a built in light, however, I never find I need to use the light albeit that the case helps to protect the Kindle. I haven’t found any clip on lights that are designed for the cases available.

No it’s not for sale.

Participant

Thanks Merior, I actually contacted the guy this morning, but the Kindle’s already gone 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.