Where to Get Wine in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhere to Get Wine in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Anyone have any suggestions on getting decent wine for a reasonable price in Chengdu? I’ve been getting red wine from Carrefour and small chain shops recently but I’m wondering if there’s a better place I should be looking. I’m not particularly knowledgeable on wine so any advice is appreciated.

Participant

Auchan does have some great wines.. I picked up a nice bottle of Andes Rivers Chilean Merlot for around 40rmb.

Auchan is great for wine. I usually pick up a bottle of whatever they have on discount when I do the weekly shop. I also buy booze from 360buy (京东). They have some good deals on imported beer and spirits.

Participant

@Charlie I bought a few range of Australian wine with comfortable price from a friend who’s running imported wine business in China. Genuine AUS wine, good taste after consumption.

Participant

I used to keep a little tally on my phone of different wines and how I liked/disliked them, mostly from Auchan/Carrefour..here are a few to try:

Jacobs Creek Chardonnay (not pinot, merlot, or semillion sauvignon blanc)

Beringer 2009 White Zinfandel (rose)

Yellowtail 2009 Chardonnay (not 2010 Shiraz)

Two Oceans 2011 (forget what type, don’t think it was listed as a normal type..but don’t bother with the 2009 sauvignon blanc)

Bordeaux rose 2010 gran vin de bordeaux

Participant

A friend of mine works for Boutique Wines Asia.

PM me if you want his contact details.

Keymaster

All of the Auchan recommendations were really on point, that place has more wine than anywhere else I’ve seen in Chengdu. All varieties, price ranges, etc.

Quote:
    A friend of mine works for Boutique Wines Asia.

PM me if you want his contact details.

Any idea what the prices are like? Looks expensive.

Quote:
    I used to keep a little tally on my phone of different wines and how I liked/disliked them, mostly from Auchan/Carrefour..here are a few to try:

I just got back from Auchan, I think I got the Bordeaux 2010 that you mentioned or something similar. 58 kuai, I took a photo:

bordeaux.jpg

Participant
    Quote:
    Any idea what the prices are like? Looks expensive.

I’d be surprised if he has anything for less than 150.

Participant

I sell italian wine that have same quality/story/price of France wine but usually is little expensive… which your target price? around 150 kuai? I have some bottle at home…

Participant

Photo of italian wine:

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I sell italian wine that have same quality/story/price of France wine but usually is little expensive… which your target price? around 150 kuai? I have some bottle at home…

I’m trying to stay under 100 yuan if possible.

Participant

I’ve been digging the Bear Star zinfandel. It’s about 138 and available at most supermarkets. I’ve found that you get what you pay for as the wines under 100 usually leave you with a nice hang over for the next day.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’ve been digging the Bear Star zinfandel. It’s about 138 and available at most supermarkets. I’ve found that you get what you pay for as the wines under 100 usually leave you with a nice hang over for the next day.

Where do you get it? I’m willing to check out any recommendation within the 100-150 range. I haven’t tried many wines in Chengdu but what I have found in general is that 100-150+ yuan bottles here roughly compare to $5 bottles in the states.

Participant

wine.jpg

Participant

Chianti DOCG “Poderi da Filicaja” 2010/2011 ¥40,00

http://yadi.sk/d/1S-VBOa62GyzU

Chianti Superiore DOCG “Villa da Filicaja” 2009 ¥65,00

http://yadi.sk/d/g-dbEhsN2Gyzw

Chianti DOCG “Riserva del Conte” 2007 ¥80,00

http://yadi.sk/d/gFu2Fc2r2Gyza

Toscana Merlot IGT “Regina Christina” 2006 ¥95,00

http://yadi.sk/d/gFu2Fc2r2Gyza

Participant

I originally picked up Bear Star at the supermarket at Raffles, “Treat” I think it’s called? And now I’ve recently seen it at the Carrefour at Hongpailou, so it must be stocked at most of them.

Participant

If you do find wines that you like at Carrefour and you are willing to buy in bulk, it’s worth it to buy when they have their wine sales. They do it twice a year, and it’s an automatic 20% off, plus most of the wines are “Buy 5 get 1” or “Buy 3 get 1.” The last one was in November, so the next one should be around April I think. I usually try to buy 6 months worth of wine to tide me over until the next sale. Auchan also does a sale like that, but I don’t know when or how often.

Quote:
    Auchan does have some great wines.. I picked up a nice bottle of Andes Rivers Chilean Merlot for around 40rmb.

If this wine is indeed good you better run to Auchan, as it’s on sale now for 29 rmb..

Keymaster
    Quote:
    If this wine is indeed good you better run to Auchan, as it’s on sale now for 29 rmb..

Right, I saw that when I was there the other day. Hundreds of bottles left!

Keymaster

I added Auchan to Chengdu Places in case anyone hasn’t been there and wants to check it out: Auchan Supermarket

I couldn’t get anywhere close to all of the wines in one photo but this is about 1/4 of the wine selection I saw there:

auchan-wines.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.