Where to Go Next Month?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhere to Go Next Month?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi

I want to go solo somewhere maybe in the province of Yunnan for 2 weeks but not Kunming as I have been there before. I just want to go relax and do absolutely nothing essentially I need to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

So I am thinking about Lijiang where there is a bit of scenery, mountains and hopefully cleaner air than Chengdu.

If anyone has any suggestions or can offer any places to visit in Yunnan which are pleasant to stay next month it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Participant

I really would not recommend travelling at spring festival within China. Why not, try Cambodia or Laos

Participant

Thanks Ian for the info maybe staying in China during the holiday season will be madness.

Somewhere cheap and cheerful where I can get a tourist visa on arrival. I do fancy Singapore although I do not know if it is an expensive country to visit compared to China.

Participant

You can fly direct to Siem Reap get voa

Participant

Singapore is more expensive. Consider Indonesia.

Participant

idk.. i would say Philippine. I’d love to go back again…

Keymaster

I’ve been talking with Chinese friends about this for the last week or so. The consensus is obviously to stay away from tourist areas inside China, but a lot of Chinese friends also tell me that places like Thailand and Singapore will be overrun with Chinese tourists. Not sure what I’ll do anymore but I’m considering just staying in Chengdu knowing that it’ll be quiet.

Traveling during Chinese holidays is never a good idea. You’ll have to pay inflated prices to leave the country, and every tourist destination within the country will be jampacked.

I’d like to maybe chill in Flowertown (sanshengxiang) if any of the bars there are open.

Participant

Thailand during the holidays isn’t bad. Most Chinese travel on group packages and almost exclusively end up in specific destinations, and I think that you’ll find hotel prices during CNY don’t change much..the influx isn’t significantly more than the normal tourist prices and it’s more of a seasonal thing than a CNY thing. Singapore has a few days during CNY where prices skyrocket (hotels) because it’s also a locally celebrated holiday for 3 days or so, but no more so than one of the many international events (like the sg grand prix).

Don’t count out places in-between – less international destinations..lots of people choose to backpack/go through Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam during the holiday where very little Chinese tend to go, and there are little/no 大陆 celebrations going on. Can fly to Kunming early and bus down.

Participant

I went to Thailand last spring festival it was fine. The Chinese stick to Patong in Phuket.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’d like to maybe chill in Flowertown (sanshengxiang) if any of the bars there are open.

That’s a good idea… I’m not sure if they’ll be open though, I think most of the bars there (Morning, Orange, etc) are run by people who aren’t actually from Sanshengxiang. Still a great place to cycle through though, I’m sure you can find places that are open.

I think anywhere that isn’t off even the remotely beaten track will be nuts as usual over the holiday. I will stay in Chengdu and enjoy taking it easy. It will be so much quieter than at any other time of year, making it perfect to chill out, take a bike ride, and generally take it easy round the clock. The only bummer is my gym will be on shutdown.

Participant

Meanwhile, could you please tell me what usually happen on the streets during Chinese NY?

Participant

Nothing just all the people who say they are local actually go back to their home towns. Leaving the real true local population which is around 2 million to relax and play majiang.

Participant

Nothing? I recall being nearly blown up by fireworks randomly let off throughout the daytime, not little ones – big m’fers that make you choose a very distant path to your destination if you see some migrant workers lighting up a meter long pipe…

Participant

Go to Indonesia. There’s visas on arrival there + warm beaches to get away from the cold.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Meanwhile, could you please tell me what usually happen on the streets during Chinese NY?

It’s pretty quiet, but there are fireworks in the evening, especially on the first night. It’s tranquil, which is nice, but a lot of restaurants and local places will be closed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.