Where to Watch Mayweather v McGregor Fight?

HomeForumsIn ChengduWhere to Watch Mayweather v McGregor Fight?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all. Does anyone know if any bars in the city are showing the Mayweather McGregor fight on August 26th? I’m really excited to watch Conor chase Floyd around for 12 rounds and probably never land a punch, while Floyd taps Conor back repeatedly to get the points to win. Should be a thriller.

I appreciate any leads.

Keymaster

Hahaha, I think your expectation is a reasonable one to go into the fight with. Hopefully there will be some surprises.

McElroy’s has already announced they are showing it live, that is the first place that I would recommend. It is located on the ground floor of the Poly Center, between Renmin Nan Lu and Kehua Bei Lu on the same street as the US Consulate.

Participant

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I hope I’m wrong about the fight and it gets interesting.

Participant

Thanks for the info. McGregor’s punches are not great but his ground game is on. However, in boxing the ground game is taken away and must be replaced with great footwork. From watching McGregor’s previous fights he comes in brawly & awkward; i look for him to have no footwork. Very recently McGregor was knocked out by his sparring partner, apparently his jaw is a weak point. I see Mayweather running up the point factor embarrassing McGregor.

Participant

It seems like a mismatch but it’s a surprisingly competitive matchup:
    *Mayweather: old/ ringrust/ damaged hands/ minimal knockout power/ overwhelming favorite = pressure and high expectations
    *Connor: in his prime/devastating knockout power/zero pressure or expectations/that inexplicable Connor “something”
    Also, any news or videos about Connor being knocked out or schooled in sparring is fake or instigated by the Connor camp. They’re too smart and professional to let anything slip. It’s an old ploy and when your man is making the money Connor is you would never risk it by having a maverick sparring partner. Malignaggi is sparring with him and they’re mostly running patterns. They’re NOT trying to teach Connor how to box.
    I still tip Floyd by decision but if I had to throw a wildcard I’d lay some bread on Connor losing by DQ. Seriously. Maybe intentionally or accidentally. When you go to the circus you should always anticipate the bizarre.
    Remember: You heard it here first! 🙂

Participant

Listen, I doubt Conor has much more than a puncher’s chance, but I have to disagree with you on just about every point. I think your assessment is about as off as you can be otchengdu.

McGregor’s standup, including his punches are inarguably great. His ground game is good for a top class mixed martial artist, but he’s “only” a brown belt. He’s known for his power and accuracy in his standup, particularly in the counter. His ability to slip and deflect punches is also among the best in MMA. The problem is that Floyd is a defensive boxer, so it is unlikely that Floyd will give him the kind of exchange that McGregor needs to capitalize on to land a heavy counter.

The benefits Conor has on his side to get into that position are his size advantage, age, and southpaw stance. Those are the main reasons in my mind that he could potentially knock him out or at least down.

As far as your thoughts on his footwork, again, this is crazy. Conor is known for his light feet and ability to make good angles using his footwork. But even with that said, you can’t judge someone’s MMA footwork, where you have to constantly be ready to defend for takedowns and kicks and also set up for the same, on how they would box. I expect him to have a substantially different stance because he doesn’t have to worry about his legs. I mean, he wont ever be a Lomachenko, but neither will anyone else, Floyd included.

Also, the thing about Conor getting knocked out sparring is bullshit. It started from Jessie Vargas saying it while taking a walk chatting with some dude. He said, “I heard that they tried Bradley Rios but he knocked him (McGregor) out, so they had to push him away.” Someone later says “Ah man, fuck no.” Vargas says “Na, he would have knocked him out though.” Bradley Rios said himself that he’s never even met Conor, let alone sparred with him. Some people It’s nothing but Vargas spouting bullshit.

Either way it goes, this kind of discussion is exactly why I’m stoked the fight is happening. Nobody, including the best commentators and fighters in the world, have any precedent to base their predictions. It wont matter if it ends up being boring, thats only an hour of the fight. Unless something crazy happens the exciting part is the months of front end promotion and commentary. They both already won this fight in terms of both money and interest.

Participant

Remember to take all that with a huge grain of salt. What do I know? Sure is fun spouting bullshit on this though. And since every asshole ESPN face who’s never seen an MMA match in their life can make predictions and estimations, why can’t I?

Participant

No foul done. Were all just adding our two cents worth as were all armchair quarterbacks from this perspective. Still say Mr Mouth Mayweather wins and then re-retire.

Participant

Yeah, we are in complete agreement on everything you just said.

Keymaster

Interesting analysis in this thread. I think it’s unlikely that McGregor will win, but the possibility of that happening is what makes this exciting to begin with. Many times we have seen him face seemingly insurmountable odds and emerge the victor, and he is such an entertaining character. I just hope this is better than the Mayweather Pacquiao fight, that was horribly boring. It seems inevitable that McGregor is going to have to take an unconventional approach here which will be interesting to see.

Participant

Yeah, exactly. And seeing him win would be such a huge upset, it would be awesome to see the people who have been shitting on MMA for decades eat their words.

Keymaster

Yeah, exactly. And seeing him win would be such a huge upset, it would be awesome to see the people who have been shitting on MMA for decades eat their words.

Yeah, if Floyd wins the response will be “Of course he won, he’s a boxer” but if Conor wins it will be a major turning point for the sport of boxing. People just don’t seem to care that much about boxing unless the event is a major spectacle, it seems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.