Who's Your Favorite Chinese Artist?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWho's Your Favorite Chinese Artist?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anybody have a favorite Chinese (contemporary) artist? I like this guy called Hua Tunan 画图男 (literally “Paint picture man”), he does some cool takes on traditional Chinese painting. Also Liu Di 柳迪. And of course Yue Minjun 岳敏君.

I figured out how to get oil paint-style prints done on Taobao and am looking for something to put on my walls. Not such a fan of the old-style horse/tiger/mountain Chinese paintings, to each his own I guess. But it seems like a lot of the popular contemporary Chinese art is either that style, or it’s Westernized. Or it’s like Ai Weiwei performance art, which doesn’t really go on a wall.

Keymaster

I had known about Yue Minjun but not Hua Tunan. His art is really, really cool. Jackson Pollack-ish.

My favorites:

edit: sorry, I didn’t read your post. I don’t think Cai Guoqiang has done many paintings besides his gunpowder paintings, which are all one of a kind and not re-printed, as far as I know. I’d love a Yue Minjun print up on my wall, no doubt.

Cai Guoqiang has done some really amazing work over the past 2 decades. He showed at the Guggenheim in NYC several years ago. He also coordinated the pyrotechnics for the 2008 Olympics. He does work in all different mediums, but IMHO his most striking work is his gun powder paintings.

He has no shortage of breathtaking installations though, like “Head On” which features 99 (i think) eerily real handcrafted wolves crashing into a glass wall. His work is striking, technically impressive, and has a fair amount of social commentary to boot. Beautiful, thought-provoking work.

Keymaster

That wolf installation is amazing. Hadn’t seen that before.

Participant

I thought it was the same artist, but evidently there’s another Chinese artist, Chen Wenling, who did something similar during the 2008 financial crisis. It’s a statue of Bernie Madoff with devil horns getting smashed against the wall by a farting bull.

It seems like a lot of Chinese artists are really into sculpture, but unfortunately I can’t print those without a 3D printer.

Participant

Wow…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.