Why did you move to Chengdu or China?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhy did you move to Chengdu or China?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I am just curious about your ideas, so please be honest and just feel free to answer. Take it easy, nobody would be pushy to judge any of you.

Participant

8 kwai 7/11 Asahi Dry Tall Boys. Used to pay USD $12!

Quote:

Does it have something to do with my thread?

Participant

For me for two reasons: my wife is chinese and for economic opportunity that europe can’t give at this time…

Keymaster

I first came to Chengdu as a traveler and found DJ gigs immediately without looking for them so decided to stay for a while. Then I got interested in self-studying Chinese and becoming proficient at that. After that, new opportunities and challenges kept coming every few years that kept me around. One of my favorite things about Chengdu is that it’s so dynamic – you never really know what’s around the corner.

Quote:

7-11: one of the best new bars in Chengdu.

Quote:
    Does it have something to do with my thread?

Yes. Inexpensive beer.

I moved here on part whim, and for the fact that the economy hit the skids while I was living and working in Canada. I moved to Vancouver in ’07 as the construction boom was happening pre Winter Olympics 2010. It died a death as soon as the athletes left, and so here I am amidst yet another crazy push for development, only this time it’s bigger, and there’s more money!!

Hurry!!

Participant
    Quote:

great.

…and much more important than some islands I (and I suspect a few others) never heard of before a couple of weeks ago.

It’s a true crime one messed up the other.

–on topic – I got sent by work, got addicted to hua jiao, bbq, and having something new and crazy happen almost everyday. Never left.

Participant

I came to china as there is a lot of construction activity going on here. And the works are really faster than some other countries…which gives a lot of experience in a short period.

…and i like to travel 😉

Participant

My story is a sad and harrowing one. I was once the janitor at a Portland Pub called Shanghai’d, famous today for being a hipster port of call, but once a haunt for pirates and thieves and the ruthless mates who would kidnap them and force them into hard labor on the seas.

I was no thief, just a humble slop mopper, when i was beaten over the head with a truncheon and carted away to meet my horrible fate. When I awoke, I was in a hammock in hold darker than death itself, and I could hear the waves pounding the hull and the raucous cries of mean spirited men above.

During the first days, I was left to scrabble along the moldy floor of the hull and fight rats for scraps of fleshy veggies and hard bread. I was seasick for days before i could hold down my first meal. Soon the hold I was in smelled of shit, vomit, sweat and despair. (despair smells like …)

When they pulled me out, it was only to make me the ship’s peg boy. I am sure you are not familiar with the duties of a peg boy. The pain is still too much to bear, I cannot tell you much more than that I suffered as a peg boy from Vladivostok to Trat, before finally being sold to a Cambodian merchant, traveling through Burma recruiting for his brothel on the border between China and Laos.

For 2 long years I lived and …. worked … in that brothel, until I was lost in a gambling debt and transferred to a Chinese cement Tycoon from Nanning. He treated me well, and I thought I might have found a place in this world. A place a little warmer than hell, a place I could maybe get used to. But when his rivals raided his flat and found me, I became a tool of retribution for his past crimes. His wealth was scattered to the winds, as was I, after a thorough beating.

My fingers hurt. They are brittle after the work i did in the mines west of Ya’an. But that is another tale and I may continue it another time. When I get my breath back and my head stops spinning so …

Quote:
    My story is a sad and harrowing one.

I am kinda sorry that my thread reminds you of the sad memory, which is definitely not the reason why I started it.

Quote:
    But that is another tale and I may continue it another time. When I get my breath back and my head stops spinning so

I have been told that every heart has an unknown corner, has unforgettable scars that we do not want to be uncovered by others.

But I also have been told that the people who have the courage to face and share their dusty past are the true human fighters that deserve everyone to respect and learn from.

I’ve got one sentence as the appreciation for the sharing of your story. “The people who take the forthrights are lucky, because he finds the shortcuts. The people who take the meanders are also lucky, because they can experience more of sceneries. It is one kind of attitude of luck real Christians have, that every step we’ve taken and every view we’ve experienced are what God knows, are what God cares, so I am lucky to have them all.”

I have been always believing that everyone, including you and me, has their own story, but God bless us all, so we can move on towards the future without any unnecessary fear and concern!

Participant

My story is not a sad and harrowing one. Came here initially to do a 4-month internship for my real estate studies in Belgium. Besides a 5 minute wikipedia visit, I knew absolutely nothing about the city. I just ended up here because of an old classmate. It took me a while to adapt but eventually fell in love with the city. When I got back home after those 4 months I’d just spend days sitting behind my computer desk thinking I really wanted to go back. After two weeks I decided to apply with Sichuan University to study Chinese and gave my parents a legit reason for going back. I’ve been calling Chengdu “home” ever since, which is now about 1 and a half years.

I feel free here. Free as a bird.

Participant

brokeup with ex. couldn’t find a full-time, non-contract job. needed a change. applied in hk/china. got a job. hopped on a plane. and now ive been here 1 year.

People as I know they move to China for better career oppotunity,for religion duty, for their loved one, for experience.

Participant

I came to test myself and build character. Ive travelled lots before but always in a very safe and guarded way. I hope that this will lead to many adventures and more travelling around Asia and meeting many nice people.

Travel and adventure, to learn the language and to teach – the UK government just cut all the funding for ESOL, and it’s quite tough to find any jobs at all at the moment. Heard some good reports re: Chengdu and decided to go for it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.