Winter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWinter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

• This topic has 41 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

The other day someone new to Chengdu asked me: “It doesn’t get colder than this in Chengdu, does it??” Before even answering, I felt bad for this person. The answer is, of course, that it gets much colder.

I’m from the mid-Atlantic U.S. where it snows every winter, but Chengdu has a different kind of cold. It’s a bone-chilling cold.

So drop your Chengdu winter Protips here. Some of mine:

– Get comfortable and warm house slippers. You might already have slippers for your house but some slippers like these are how you get through the Chengdu winter like a true boss. 150 yuan on Taobao but you can find variations for cheaper.

Frequent trips to the spa. A great place to warm up and get a massage. Most spas are multi-floor complexes where you can drink tea, play Chinese chess, ping pong, or pool. Check out the Herijun Spa on Chengdu Places

– Get a Tibetan chupa. If you don’t know, you don’t know. This is a giant, cloak-like Tibetan garment, traditionally lined with yak-fur, that is incredibly warm. It looks like the Obi-wan Kenobi robe without the hood. If you thought sweatpants and a sweatshirt was at-home comfort clothes, the chupa will blow your mind. Available in Chengdu in the Tibetan district near Wuhou Temple.

– Have fun things to do at home. I think we all go out less during the Chengdu winter. Get some books, an Xbox, or buy some DVDs at Computer City. Or be productive and start working on a new project. You’ll probably have a lot more time to do it in the winter.

– Get your heater fixed or at least tuned up. The street corner hardware shops can usually do this, or refer you to someone. If you get your heater maintained it’ll save you money and work a lot better. You can use a space heater, too.

Participant

Electric blanket is a must. Also PSI fleeced PJ’s.

Participant

Tibetan chupa or snuggie… hmmm… Chupa sounds more ‘exotic’, me things ill get that!

Also, if one has an ebike, get one of those large hand warmers. Gloves wont cut it, those hand warmers are great for the wind chill!

Participant

an outfit for the dog

Quote:
    an outfit for the dog

LOL! + Handbag to carry him/her in. Oversized sunglasses optional.

And there are Spa’s with Pool tables!? I just took up Pool again recently, so the Spa/Pool combo has got me warm already. If it were non-smoking that would be an insanely good bonus.

For winter I will be mostly wearing a Chupa and making ‘Ommm’ sounds whilst sat crossed legged on my sheep skin rug.

Participant

Eat lots of hotpot and lamb.

This is one of the best inventions that I’ve come across in China. Cheap, convenient, and very warm. Put one of these against your back while you’re using your computer or under your legs while you sleep and you may not even need to turn on that power hungry heater.

Comes in your choice of Spongebob Squarepants or other cuddly Chinese cartoon designs.

Participant
    Quote:
    one of the best inventions that I’ve come across in China

These things are great, a real life saver. We’ve have a simple one you just fill with hot water. If you put towards you feet in your bed when you go to sleep it will defiantly keep you warm all night long.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    an outfit for the dog

You have a dog now too?

Quote:
    This is one of the best inventions that I’ve come across in China.

That link doesn’t seem to work for me. Now I really want to know what you’re talking about.

Quote:
    And there are Spa’s with Pool tables!? I just took up Pool again recently, so the Spa/Pool combo has got me warm already.

Yeah, there are multiple spas in Chengdu with both pool and snooker tables (I think they’re snooker tables – they’re gigantic).

That T-Mall page wins the ‘most useless amount of information attached to a product’ prize, images of misty mountains and BIG certificates included. Good find! 😀

Participant

Wear a very warm coat inside the office but leave windows open as often as possible. This will make sure the cold air can go out.

Also, a lot of girls in this thread. Burning calories produces heat people, so eat like a horse and keep your metabolism on track!! Never cold again!

Quote:
    That link doesn’t seem to work for me. Now I really want to know what you’re talking about.

Search 电热水袋. It’s just a bag filled with water that you can plug in to heat up. Nothing revolutionary, but effective.

Quote:
    Also, a lot of girls in this thread. Burning calories produces heat people, so eat like a horse and keep your metabolism on track!!

168.png

Participant

@Charlie: no dog, still 100% pro-cat. just mean that i see lotsa dogs outfitted during the winter. guess that inferior species needs help during the cold months. cat? No f***s given. sleeps under the quilt all night, in the morning, he’s good to go…..

serioulsy,I agree with vincent. I always leave the window open even in winter…

Participant

@Charlie I think the tables at He Re Jun are just 9×5 pool tables, 2 of them on 3rd? floor..

RE: slippers, another thing – find super thick warm socks, sometimes slippers alone aren’t enough and thick socks help a ton.

Find some method to keep your ears covered – whatever your preference, but outside in Chengdu’s deep winter your ear tips will freeze.

Participant

The new He Re Jin near Wanda plaza has two snooker tables and a Cinema.

Also Noahs Ark spa near Shen Xian Shu, but it costs 138 with a far superior buffet.

Participant

I’d recommend some warm fleece underclothes. You can get some cheap ones at Uniclo.

I personally bought some warm pyjama’s from Taobao. They are so warm and thick that I actually can imagine how it feels like to be a polar bear!

And when the weather really gets cold and nothing seems to help… your body is the best heater of all. Get some exercise and that will keep you warm for a while!!

Participant

Good tips 🙂 I can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland! Actually I’m going to buy some things from Uniqlo tomorrow as everyone is recommending it to me!!

How does the temperature now compare to February time? My friend is coming to visit and I want to go some cool places outside the city like Jiuzhaigou, but will it be too cold for that? I can probably look up the temperature, but how does it actually feel at that time? Because right now it seems a lot colder than the temperature actually is!! 🙁

Participant

Good tips 🙂 I can’t believe how freezing I am all the time, and I come from Scotland! Actually I’m going to buy some things from Uniqlo tomorrow as everyone is recommending it to me!!

How does the temperature now compare to February time? My friend is coming to visit and I want to go some cool places outside the city like Jiuzhaigou, but will it be too cold for that? I can probably look up the temperature, but how does it actually feel at that time? Because right now it seems a lot colder than the temperature actually is!! 🙁

Participant

Participant

Keep warm tonight at Hemp House

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.