Winter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWinter in Chengdu Pro-Tips

• This topic has 41 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoIan.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant

5 kuai street-bought mittens aren’t cutting it. felt frostbite today on the fingers. Shoulda splashed out on the 12 kuai ones…

Participant

My two cents…

Invest in some wool undergarments – I myself absolutely hate using these because of the bulk but on those really cold days it makes all the difference in the world as you just don’t feel cold.

Buy thermal pajamas – Go to one of those little clothing shops and buy pajamas. Those things are made from some synthetic blend that makes them INCREDIBLY warm yet comfortable to the skin. I swear these things are warmer than the wool long johns I brought here. As for the clothing shop that sells these…? Each and every street has one of these shops… they sell bright colored/flowered bathing suits in the summer and then boots and long pajamas in the winter…you know the one I mean.

Seal out draft – Go to B&Q (the British version of Home Depot – one store is in the south on hangkong road near kehua road) and snag some of those self-adhesive rubber strips that are used to insulate both door and window jams. These things are easy to use; you just cut the length you need, peel back the paper to expose the adhesive part and then place in the desired location. I did all of my windows and even my front door and not a draft anywhere.

Finally, snag some thermal curtains off taobao. A lot of hotels use these as they act almost like a blanket over the window. We have two curtain tracks along all of our windows: one for drape, the other for the sheer – during winter, we just remove the sheer and replace with these bad boys.

We have central heat/ac in our home but really prefer to keep the thermostat lower to avoid the effects of air heating (dry sinus, sore throat, etc.). After doing all of the above this winter has been bearable.

Cheers,

Participant

@les

What do you search for re: thermal curtains? I tried “热窗帘” but just get a bunch of what look like normal curtains…

Participant

@rick. that search should work as most stores selling normal curtains should also have. Anyway, not sure of your experiences on taobao but (regardless of what i am ordering) i will normally im the store (or call them) and chat with them to get a sense as to whether they are real. In this case i can recall describing the curtains as “curtains 5 star hotels use that keep the cold out” and may have additionally called them “blackout” curtains which is a name used in the U.S. Most of these stores are in gzhou but can crank these out to your door in about a week. I would recommend ordering for your smallest window first and ask them to throw in swatches of all the available colors so you can go all in on the 2nd order. Yeah, normally they also arrive already replete with hooks so u just hang them.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I recommend the underfloor heating to anyone who are planning on decorating or re-decorating

I can’t believe this is in Chengdu, that is incredible. Was it expensive or difficult to get installed? My sister had this built into a house that she built in the states recently. A few months after it was installed something went wrong and it released some kind of poisonous gas into the air that was a major health concern.

Quote:
    Buy thermal pajamas

I just have a very good thermals that I wear under everything. I like Smartwool, or Merino wool.

Quote:
    snag some thermal curtains off taobao

This is such a good idea, I hadn’t ever thought or heard of this before. I think the reason why my living room is hard to keep warm is because there are so many windows, they just don’t keep the warm in.

Participant

Underfloor heating has been available in Chengdu for a while, but the stuff readily available that I could find all adds significant height to your flooring – like several inches, so the apartment suddenly becomes a little smaller. I found some higher tech ones from foreign companies but couldn’t ship to China directly. I’m sure with some effort there is a solution, but I was stupid and tried to max out space bottom, top, and sides – and also regret not insulating the walls. Redecoration coming up in the fall, the biggest issue with heating here is definitely the insulation (or lack thereof), the windows/doors cheap panes, and flooring…

Keymaster

I went to the spa last weekend with the Natooke Bros. and had a great time. If anyone hasn’t been, check that place out before the winter is up. I added it to Chengdu Places which includes a Google map showing its location along with some photos: Herijun Spa

Participant
    Quote:
    Does anyone have an address or phone number for this place? I gotta check that place out.

Noahs Ark

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Noahs Ark

Thanks Lino, added it to the Master List. I’ll probably check it out this weekend!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Also Noahs Ark spa near Shen Xian Shu, but it costs 138 with a far superior buffet.

I went to Noah’s Ark on Saturday and had a great time. I added it to Chengdu Places: Noah’s Ark Spa

The cost was 198 and the buffet was okay, I think we got there too late. Overall the place is definitely classier than Herijun though, no question. The game room looked really cool but unfortunately it closed just a few minutes before we made it up there. I’ll go back to this place for sure. Thanks for suggesting it!

Participant

We usually go around 7pm. I like the movie room and it’s definitely worth the extra money.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.