WordPress / Non WordPress website?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWordPress / Non WordPress website?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Are there any webdeveloppers here that work with multiple building platforms?

I would like to get some good advice on getting a new website and I see that a lot of webdesigners nowadays use wordpress templates to build websites. However before I decide whether to go for a company that uses wordpress or drupal I would like to know a bit more about the advantages of these over for example custom build websites.

Also I would like to know whether there are companies here that can build custom systems for specific needs within websites, like client portals for example.

Cheers!

Participant

Hi Dries, thanks for bringing this up as I am interested in this also. Hope you don’t mind if I add some questions that may be relevant also.

WordPress seems quite easy to use, only issue that it requires use of a vpn to access if you wish to create or update a blog or website. That I think is quite a disadvantage as my short experience with vpns is that they are not so dependable.

It’s the first time I have heard of Drupal but it doesn’t require a vpn- at least at the moment!

Can I add to Dries questions

1. Does anyone use wordpress?

2. If you do and you pay to host your site on Host Gator or Media Temple will it be accessible without a vpn in China for visitors?

3. If not, how do you go about making it accessible?

4. As a windows user, what does anyone recommend to build their site (I have an old version of Dreamweaver which is quite a lot of study for a absolute novice)?

Hope you don’t mind me adding these on to your queries Dries?

Please answer his before my own;)

I use WordPress. You don’t need a VPN from China to access it.

I use Host Gator, my site is accessible from China without a VPN.

If you’re using wordpress themes, you won’t really need any tools to build your site.

In fact, ChengduLiving uses WordPress. I’ve never used Drupal, so I can’t compare.

Participant

Really! Wow, my mistake!

Thanks, just found out I am able to log into my account through a link sent via email from wordpress although I still cannot log onto through http://www.wordpress.com portal unless through vpn. Same goes for any sites ending in .wordpress.com (eg. blog.wordpress.com).

That is good news for me that you guys have no problems as I do like wordpress!

Many thanks Chris!

Participant

WordPress.com is blocked. So if you’re using their free blogging service then people in China will need a VPN to see it. But this is quite different to the WordPress CMS which you can install on a webhost and build a website with (like Drupal or Joomla). As for which is better, doesn’t really matter, WordPress is more popular so I would go with that.

Participant

Thanks Chris and Andrew

That’s cleared a lot up for me. In the beginning for me it is more a hobby so it might not be as urgent as yours Dries.

As I understand it WordPress is much more customizable than many of the ready-made custom build sites.

Plus, it is quite friendly and there is a huge amount of resources to help you Dries.

Other than that, I am useless;-(

Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.

Participant

These answers don’t really answer my question to be honest. I asked what the advantages are from wordpress or drupal template websites over a custom system and visa versa.

Also I hope that someone can bring me in contact with some developers here that work with custom CMS’s and wordpress and who can also develop customised systems such as client portals etc.

Looking forward to hear some input on that.

Participant

Try

WEEBLY

Keymaster
    Quote:
    These answers don’t really answer my question to be honest. I asked what the advantages are from wordpress or drupal template websites over a custom system and visa versa.

Also I hope that someone can bring me in contact with some developers here that work with custom CMS’s and wordpress and who can also develop customised systems such as client portals etc.

Hey Dries,

You asked me for help with a logo through a post here and I sent you a few emails ten days ago which have not received a reply so I’m hesitant to get onto another issue with you, but…

I’m a WordPress developer and this site is built on WordPress, along with 50 or so other sites that I’ve developed (Lazy Pug, Hakka Homes, Shan Shui visa, China Bloggers, many others).

As for your question to Drupal versus WordPress, one could write a small book answering that question. If you Google it you’ll find a mountain of comparisons like this one. If you’re looking for a WordPress development studio I suggest you look overseas.

Hope this helps you

Participant

Thanks Charlie,

My partner already chose a logo designer and I got caught up in some other things. Sorry I didn’t reply you anymore.

Thanks for your input on this and the matter.

Cheers!

Participant

Do you know anyone who can make custom systems by the way? For clients to upload files, look at their history through an account, pay and a production studio uploading files back to the client?

Participant

Hi Dries,

Looks like you are more interested in using WordPress but this guy http://danbyrnedesign.com/ is a local web designer who does Drupal sites. He built the website for a company I was working for before. Awesome guy to work with, helped us a lot by getting me to do a lot of the stuff on the website myself (saved us money). Last time I talked to him a couple months ago he was super busy but worth contacting him to see if he can do what you guys are looking for.

Participant
    Quote:
    this guy http://danbyrnedesign.com/ is a local web designer

I’d recommend the same guy.

Participant

Someone know if is better take a domain with WordPress or use another web hosting and after build your website with WP?

Quote:
    Someone know if is better take a domain with WordPress or use another web hosting and after build your website with WP?

Dries reported that the wordpress domain is blocked in China, so you’d better host elsewhere.

Participant

Thank you, I didn’t understand this…

Keymaster
    Quote:

In general you’re better off using WordPress.org (instead of WordPress.com) because you have total control over everything. The downside is that you need to setup and host the site yourself, but the cost is low and the setup is one-time. In my opinion, it’s worth it, because learning how to run your own site is really valuable. It’s easy also, there are a million guides which walk you through every step of the process, from setting up name servers on your domain to installing WordPress on your web host.

Participant

Everything home made!

Participant

Anyone has the telephone number of this guy?

http://danbyrnedesign.com

I mailed him but no response so far… Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Do you know anyone who can make custom systems by the way? For clients to upload files, look at their history through an account, pay and a production studio uploading files back to the client?

You can do all of that with WordPress, or any CMS, basically.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.