Working in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWorking in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am offered a job in Chengdu coming from North America. …

I wanted to ask what is considered a good salary in chengdu for an expat?

I would be moving with my wife and dog.

The company would be paying for my rental.

Any info would be most helpful.

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.

I think we’d need to know a little more about what line of work you’re in first, and what it is you’ll be doing here in Chengdu. Who’s offered you the position? Is it an American firm with business in Asia? Have you been in your profession/field long? I’m assuming we’re not talking about an internship.

There’s a growing number of expats here, and more of them are starting to occupy well paid positions, especially in relation to native professionals in Chengdu. There’s also a considerable number of expats earning what anyone in the West would consider a minimal income, but again in relation to average salary here, no one’s starving.

When would you be starting?

Participant

I would be working in the gaming industry as an Art director and the company is owned by a outside company I believe UK or European.

starting maybe in a month or so.

I am mainly looking for info to see what common rent for a villa would be and cost of food and going out.

would a salary like 35000rmb/month a good salary to live off and would saving money be a lot easier?

Well firstly if your offer is for 35,000 RMB a month you’ll do fine. Average wage in Chengdu is 1/10th of that, so saving money should be easy.

You mention previously that the company will pay rent, but is there a cap on what they will pay? A villa… That really depends where you rent, and from whom. I’ve seen reasonable looking (older) villas for as little as 8,000 RMB a month out in the sticks, to the expat targeted 30,000+ RMB a month serviced residences in the South.

Participant

are there any villas or townhouses in qingyang district or is it all apartments? I would have to find a way to work also if I decide to live outside that district.

Participant

btw thanks for the confirmation because my wife was a little worried about the amount of pay and whether we would be struggling in chengdu.

Participant

I’m on a salary of just under 6,000 rmb a month and I live like a baller

Participant

that is a relief to know, what are considered good neighborhoods near the qingyang district?

does anyone know any good sites to check out rentals on?

Participant

36000 RMB is a crapload of money!!!

I spend on average 2-3k RMB a month. Its cheaper living on the country side.

Food is cheap, while everything else is inflated.

Participant

are there any apartments with terrace gardens in chengdu because I rather be closer to work than further away because of living in a villa.

Participant

does anyone who is a Canadian on here what is the tax rate that the employers would be taking every month? do I have to worry about paying Canadian taxes?

I lived in the Qingyang district myself when I arrived in Chengdu, staying in a serviced apartment here: Above The World

They have larger, but I was by myself. The building is located right at one of the Wenshu Monastery subway station exit/entrances. It’s a safe bet if you arrange something short term in advance, and then look for something longer term once you arrive as I did. You can rent apartments by the month.

I personally didn’t like the area too much, but there are some nicer spots to the North of the district, and around the Monastery grounds.

Good Luck.

Participant

thanks for the great info.

Participant

Ive stayed in a nice house in Qingyang district. The owners are friends of my parents, its like a 2 story apartment with 3 to 4 bedrooms( one isnt a bedroom orginally) with 3 bathrooms big livingroom and terrace on the front and back. Its also considered to be a garden. They rented it out for 20000rmb i believe. Maybe its available but to give you an indication. Its very spacious for 2 people, you might get a smaller place for less.

It is located on Qingyangdadao next to the Bank of China.

Participant

You can get nice places for 2500 -3000 kuai. When you start getting into the stratosphere price-wise, the value drops exponentially. ie. 6000 kuai aint twice as good as 3000, and 20 grand absolutely aint double the plush of 10k

Participant

Thanks for the heads up on the apartment in the area I would very interested if it was still available.

Participant

Are western holidays also recognized like Christmas and Easter?

Quote:
    Are western holidays also recognized like Christmas and Easter?

Western holidays are not recognised, though you might find that your employer will allow you time at Christmas. Most Chinese workers are bound by the State Holidays, but these are questions you should be asking your employer directly. This is the only way you will have definitive answers.

Participant

I will definitely ask my employers

Keymaster
    Quote:
    You can get nice places for 2500 -3000 kuai. When you start getting into the stratosphere price-wise, the value drops exponentially. ie. 6000 kuai aint twice as good as 3000, and 20 grand absolutely aint double the plush of 10k

That is so true.

Really though, on 35k a month, you can live a life of serious luxury in Chengdu. As you spend more time in the city and get to know it better, you will figure out how to live better, also.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.