Working out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

HomeForumsIn ChengduWorking out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

• This topic has 134 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photocoryg.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Quote:
    I got the number for the Kung Fu trainer here, his name is Li Chuan: 138-8173-9611

I just found this article, guess that’s the guy. Thanks for the tip Charlie!

@hzwerks: interested in a Kung Fu partner starting from September? 😉

Participant

I checked out and now recently joined RenHe’s Ozone, at Tianfu Square’s Ren He, which is an awesome gym.

It has a lot of equipment, a relatively low population (generally these days at 5-7pm it’s about equal numbers of staff to regulars, maybe 8 or so of each milling around) The classes, especially evenings, often fill up with women but they don’t use the equipment as frequently.

The main thing that drew me in: it’s absolutely clean. There’s little bags of potpourri in each of the lockers, there’s a full time cleaning staff that keep everything smelling and looking pristine, the showers never lack soap or shampoo – they keep various other ‘products’ available at the sinks should you not mind public use of whatever product you use, and the people are pretty nice.

I think 1 year is about 3000something? But I paid for a 3 year membership, and it was around 6200 I think after a few minutes negotiation. I guess the main reason I joined is it’s exactly next to my office, but having been to a few gyms in Chengdu, it’s definitely one of the nicer ones.

Participant

this is the ORIGINAL Kung Fu in Chengdu post:

Kung Fu Family in Chengdu

Li Quan is the man, if you guys head out there i’ll be seeing you soon enough.

@ Vincent: Yes! Let’s hook up for that workout dude, and figure something out. I’d love to check out Li Quan and his school.

@ Rick: I’ve heard good things about Ozone, I will definitely check this out. Do they offer trial workouts/passes? I’ve seen staff wearing the ‘OZONE’ outfits around Tianfu Sq., they look pretty sharp.

@ Sascha: Nice article on Li Quan, love the knowledge-must blog post. Hitting the punch bag 200 times… Reminds me of my boxing training as a kid, my coach was a complete S.O.B., but he was an awesome teacher.

Participant

Man, if you need a sauna/steam room KG-Miracle gym is the place: the whole gym is a sauna!

Here’s my “Groundhog Day” routine: start cardio warm-up. Sweat like an absolute pig. Ask the guy (playing computer games) to please open one (just one!) overhead A/C vent. Wait. Continue dripping sweat. Go back. Ask again. Wait. Take off my disgusting sweat-soaked tank top. I know this breaks the “no shirtless” rule. Quickly a guy will approach me and point to the sign. Tell the guy “no AC, no shirt”. Like magic, AC kicks in. Next join the huddle, as refugee-like, 3 or 4 of us stand under the lone vent in search of some relief….day after day….call me Bill Murray…as predictable as a cloudy Chengdu day….

Keymaster

That gym sounds like a real nuisance. For the inconveniences that you have at Megafit (the music, location), the facility itself is really nice. For the most part everything is very clean and it’s well equipped and ventilated. We went there today and the place was almost empty!

Participant

Man, what’s the problem with the music? That sounds ominous…funny but i left KG a few years back primarily cos the music was ear-splittingly bad and loud, even by local standards. Jackson’s “Thriller” album on an endless loop…. actually KG’s not too bad when the temp’s below 30…..

Keymaster

The issue with the music is that they play the same thing all day, every day. It’s like 10 songs on repeat, forever. Stuff like later electronic Britney Spears, Rihanna electro remixes, etc. It could be worse (Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber) but not much worse. I don’t expect a gym to be playing awesome music – that would be rare and spectacular – but it strikes me as weird that people that work there can hear the same songs 10,000 times (conservative estimate) and not have someone say: “Hey, how about we play something else?”

The funny thing here is that Mega Fit just recently added a Disco playlist to their reductive repertoire, but that’s already starting to drive me nuts too! Then there’s the rigor mortis inducing elevator music playing in the changing rooms to contend with. That shit bends my spine back to animal shape!!

It has been driving me crazy for a while now as well, so I complained last weekend. The manager asked me to give him some new music. So hopefully it will be different starting next week.

They don’t mind when you tell them to change.

Best solution: Ipod . blocks out the music and the annoying old dudes that are there every day around 4, scraping their throats and singing opera shit…

Participant

Li Quan is a good martial arts instructor. If you go to his place, in fact, you can bring your own music.

Keymaster

@shinichi, Sanshengxiang is way too far away. Even going to Chunxi Lu from Yulin on a weekday between 5-7pm can take 40+ minutes. It’s just on the edge of very inconvenient, but since I only go twice a week it’s tolerable. Trips to Sanshengxiang are pretty rare these days for me, as beautiful as it is out there.

Participant

@Charlie: I’m sorry – I did not notice this

-Somewhere within a 10 minute cycling range of Tongzilin

Participant

Hello, I am a strength and fitness coach and also do personal training some here in ChengDu. If anyone is interested in having a trainer, just respond on this forum. I usually have time to fit in a few people for personal training, and I have my own place to train on the west side of town, or I can come to your gym. (I have experience and am certified (ACSM) and such, and can provide details if you need.) I’m American, but can also speak Chinese…

Participant

Story of my life

thumbs_EMOK%20Picdump%20202_085.jpg

I lifted weights, faithfully, for 7 months before moving here to Chengdu a few days ago. Since I live so close to this gym called Orient, above Carrefour, which I *think* is on Xiguang Lu, I’ve decided to make it my new workout spot.

I did a trial workout there the other day, and I was pretty pleased with the facility overall, granted the only thing I need is a squat rack and a bench. The air conditioning was so-so, but after learning the state of airconditioning around here, I can’t complain. There’s a sauna and stuff, so that’s cool.

The only thing that threw me off was the absence of any cleaning spray/paper towel for any of the equipment. I guess I can bring my own, and I understand that this is China, but the idea of sweated-on equipment is kind of grimy.

Bummer that I can’t get a membership there until I get a job and start making some $$$$$.

A 6 month membership is 1000 kuai, but I’m thinking you can get them down to 900.

Oh, and I have a great workout routine I follow called Stronglifts.

It’s heavy on Squats, Bench press, military press, and deadlifts.

PM me for the full routine.

Keymaster

@Vincent lol, are you a Redditor? Justin and I just started a Chengdu sub-reddit a few days ago.

@HIllaryClinton sounds like you’re going to the same gym as TigerKuma, another forum member. He’s spoken about the state of air condition at that place also. For what it’s worth though, 1000 kuai for a 6 month membership is really cheap. Must be awful in the dead of summer though, fortunately we’re past that.

Participant

@Charlie RE: “Past that”

Are you past that where you’re at? Dude, it’s still SUPER sweltery for me the last couple weeks. I have a fan on me at all times at home, otherwise I’ll start dripping.

Granted, it’s 32 floors up and heat rises, but I found the last couple weeks to be really warm in Chengdu, especially with some sun (nice to have a deck and get some) I’m hoping it cools down in September..but I don’t think it’s over yet!

Keymaster

It’s still hot but the worst has passed us. In a few short weeks we’ll be into the Fall season which is great in Chengdu.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.