Working out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

HomeForumsIn ChengduWorking out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

• This topic has 134 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photocoryg.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Based God:

62ca611cgw1dkwu1fs733j.jpg

Participant

I hope someone is still active on this thread.

I’m an exchange student at UESTC and a hobby weight lifter. Basically, I could go to either Megafit or 25 Hours Fitness which are both less than 6 km away. Ideally I need the following equipment:

• Olympic barbell (those thick ones which weight approx. 20 kg)
    • Squat rack
    • Decent amount of plates (at least up to 160kg)

Which one would you recommend?

Get yourself to MegaFit Andreas! I trained at 25 Hours for 3 months, and basically had to reduce my poundages for higher reps on everything, given the lack of plates and dumbbells. 25 Hours is also very shabby, so much so that I never wanted to shower there.

MegaFit is easier to get to (there will be a subway station right beside it next year), and is in very good condition. Plenty of 45lb plates (20+), a quality squat rack, decent Smith machine, dumbbells to 80lb, decent cable crossover, and plenty of Cybex equipment for the feint of heart!

Look forward to seeing you in there.

Participant

I’m back in the country since yesterday and will give MegaFit a try one of the following days 🙂 Hopefully tomorrow

Participant

I’m reviving this – most of the gyms mentioned in here discussed weights and getting ripped like the dude in the picture above; I am currently content with my one-pack. I’m actually just looking for a cheap, decent gym with some treadmills and stationary bikes, maybe some classes too. And a shower that has doors over the stalls. :/

So the main points here are: cheap, reasonably clean, treadmills. And somewhere in the Yulin area. Any help would be awesome!

Quote:
    I’m reviving this – most of the gyms mentioned in here discussed weights and getting ripped like the dude in the picture above

The dude in the picture above looks like a douche! 😀

If memory serves there’s a Hosa Fitness beside the Carrefour between Tongzilin & Yulin. They’re a gym chain that might be worth checking out.

Go to PowerHouse Gym, ask for Mark, and tell em that Botts sent you so I can get a free month. It has all your requirements, and it is just off of Jinli Dong Lu, across the river from the big boat.

Go to PowerHouse Gym, ask for Mark, and tell em that Botts sent you so I can get a free month. It has all your requirements, and it is just off of Jinli Dong Lu, across the river from the big boat.

Participant

Thanks Brendan, might actually check out Megafit first though haha.

smithmbm1 – Powerhouse is a bit out of my price range. I know they are great gyms and have classes and stuff, and if I was about 5k a month richer I would have signed up already. 🙁

Participant

smithmbm1 – Powerhouse is a bit out of my price range. I know they are great gyms and have classes and stuff, and if I was about 5k a month richer I would have signed up already. 🙁

Quote:

Looks like a few of us are heading in there late Saturday afternoon, I’ll confirm a time on the membership thread nearer the time.

Quote:

Looks like a few of us are heading in there late Saturday afternoon, I’ll confirm a time on the membership thread nearer the time.

Hi just wanted to chip in, there is a swimming pool + gym in the Europe City area. Tongzilin Nan Lu no. 7. Not cheap though: 4000 RMB a year for either swimming OR gym.

Keymaster

That is crazy expensive.

Participant

Up.
    Are there any new (opened within last 2-3 years) gyms around Tongzilin and Nijiaqiao?
    Regards.

Participant

There’s a new gym in Wangfujing along Kehua Zhong Lu. Two of my friends signed up for a 2-year subscription and ended up paying little under 2500RMB. As usual, if you’re only looking for a 3-6-12 month subscription, you’ll definitely end up paying a whole lot more per month.

If you get out of Tongzilin metro stop exit D, walk down Hang Kong Lu and at the end the Wangfujing complex is at your left. Probably a 10 minute walk though.

Participant

The gym above Carrefore (Orient?) in Tongzilin been texting me hard to re-sign there (I was a member about 3 years ago). Best price was 2000 per year. It’s a serviceable gym, but that price is nuts when the one at IFS (much nicer) is offering 3200 Kuai for 15 months.
    BTW: Megafit is closing in 10 weeks but are offering good deals until then. I got 10 weeks for 280 kuai. Its a great gym and I’ll be sad when they go. (disclaimer: i don’t work for them or receive any commission) 🙂

@Vincent
    : nice pic for squatting technique, but that head looks slightly forward? My technique: all kindsa wrong. 🙁

Participant

That head is perfectly in line with the spine, which is optimal if you’re trying to avoid neck injuries.

Maybe you’re confused because that image actually shows a low bar back squat with a more horizontal back angle.

A high bar back squat has a more upright position so the head would seem more “straight”.

For you:

Participant

Are there any decent(ish) gyms in the Yulin area? I checked out Legend Fitness but wanted to see if there was anything else nearby before paying for a membership!

Participant

@Vincent, do you know if the new gym you mentioned on Kehua Zhong Lu is any good?  Have your friends seemed satisfied?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.