Working out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

HomeForumsIn ChengduWorking out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

• This topic has 134 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photocoryg.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I checked it out recently and it’s actually not as new as my friends thought. It’s been there for about 2 years already and I had been there before. Anyway, not sure what you are looking for but it’s definitely a decent gym and worth the money.

The sauna was cold when I got there though, the barbells didn’t seem to be official length, plates were all over the place which sucks if you want to do heavy squatting or deadlifting, some of the machines were broken and I’ve also heard they don’t really like it when you make a lot of noise there (read: slam the weights on the floor putting down a deadlift)… but all this is very standard for a Chinese gym, and how much can you really complain paying 1250rmb/year?

Participant

Thanks, @Vincent.  Just needed to know whether that it was clean, had a decent selection of free weights, not too crowded, etc.  If I end up living in that area, I’ll probably join.  I’ll just have to remember to keep my victory grunt to a whisper when I break my deadlift record 😉

Participant

I have been watching this post with interest, as I prefer to train outside.

I do Parkour/Freerunning and just moved to Chengdu to teach English, I have just become affiliated with a high end gym. It is called Physical Gym, there is only one in Chengdu, but many across China. When I say high end I mean it. 7500 Yuan for a year’s membership but then you get a year so it becomes 2 years membership. Personal trainers are there to help too. Membership is one to brag about, But its the look and the vibe that does it, not overly pretentious. it is a gym. For people that can afford that price.

Th gym is located in one of the malls in Chunxi Road. Pretty sure it is the IFS. Anyway, they have said to me that I can join for 6500 Yuan and anyone else can simply by saying that they know me. So 1000 yuan off is not too bad after an hours worth of haggling and negotiation.

If anyone wants in, message me on Wechat surrealparkour or Call Aimee the sales manager on 13408025170 and mention me. She is Chinese, so be patient. or just go through me.

Or train outside, cheaper…. But I like the look so hence why I may go for it.

Participant

Physical has offered groupons for a RMB40 month non peak time membership pretty much ever since they opened, so I am pretty sure most of the people working out there are grouponing. Boning is half a block away and nicer IMO, it is smaller but has better service. About half that price.

Participant

Just paid 2750 for 15 months at Physical (IFS). Not totally impressed with that place, but it’s solid and the location works for me…

Participant

@ray, how did you get it so cheap? tell me please.”

Participant

@surreal: to make a long story short:
    *my gf was quoted 2000 kuai for 15 months on the phone.
    *called again yesterday to confirm this price. Sales rep said “absolutely”
    *went to Physical. Same sales rep said “no, it’s now 2750”.
    *GF is shocked and appalled. I expected this. it’s Chengdu here, and this is a pretty common sales tactic: get the customer in the office at all costs
    *i tried to get a free locker. No luck. Got 2 pairs of gloves and 2 water bottles. Freebies! Yay!
    *sales rep later called my GF and apologised. GF said he had embarrassed her and all Chinese (she’s prone to hyperbole) in front of 2 foreigners (buddy also wanted to join but walked out in disgust)
    *anyway, you should be able to get the same price with some patience and persistence. Good luck

Participant

Wahoo – I managed to find a much cheaper gym to sponsor me for my freerunning/Parkour. I bagged myself and a friend FREE membership plus extras. The cost is 2600 for a year (apparently) but I have been told I can get anyone a year membership for 2300 yuan.

I also get clothing goodies too, now THAT is a real sponsor. The gym is called Mission fitness, the location is

<span style=”color: rgb(96, 96, 96); font-family: ‘Droid Sans’, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.7999992370605px;”>Mission Fitness </span>

Jinniu Wanda SOHO

<span style=”color: rgb(96, 96, 96); font-family: ‘Droid Sans’, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.7999992370605px;”>迷尚健身会所</span><br style=”color: rgb(96, 96, 96); font-family: ‘Droid Sans’, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.7999992370605px;” /><span style=”color: rgb(96, 96, 96); font-family: ‘Droid Sans’, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.7999992370605px;”>成都市金牛区万达百货5楼</span>

028-61286888

You will find it on the 5th floor, in the Wanda next to Renmin North Road Subway. Just mention Gary the Parkour guy to get your discounted entry or speak to me on Wechat – surrealparkour.

Participant

Hey everyone! I’m new to the forums, but have been reading them for a little while now.

I live in Qingyang district, and the other day I was handed a flyer for King’s House (on Jinyang Road). The flyer is completely bilingual, but I haven’t had the opportunity to go check it out to see if anyone actually does speak English there. Has anyone heard of this place?

Participant

Just wondering, don’t the service apartments in Chengdu equipped with in house gym??

Participant

Just wondering, don’t the service apartments in Chengdu equipped with in house gym??

Those kinda gyms are great… if you are a stay-at-home mom.

Participant

Finally hit the IFS gym (Physical).
    The GOOD: Clean. Nice showers. Water fountain GUSHES water (no drip drip drip like Megafit). PT’s seemed to be diligent about putting dumbbells back (unlike Megafit). Sauna and steam room clean.
    The BAD: free weight area is just too small. No place to stretch/warm up/push ups/planks/warm down. Music is awful. Can’t select locker (given bracelet upon arrival). Strangely, squat rack seems slightly wide (when deadlifting I had trouble returning it comfortably). No kettlebells.
    The OUT and OUT JUST PLAIN STUPID: cable rack too close to mirror, means you need to do cable flies etc. backward, without being able to monitor form (crucial when your form is horrendous like mine). Large lounge area but then mini free weight zone. It’s a gym, not Starbucks.
    The JUST PLAIN INEXPLICABLE: 2-in-1 shampoo/bodywash in showers. What is it? Is it a bodywash or a shampoo? I’m confused. Seems to me to be completely different products.

Participant

Can I revive this thread to get some new recommendations? What options are there for someone who is looking for a gym with at least one power rack, bench, space to deadlift and do pull-ups, dips, etc.? A cable machine and some dumbbells would be nice too. I’m not all that concerned about a sauna but decent showers would be nice.

Participant

@exphat: Physical at IFS has all that. The equipment is clean and in good condition. They also open at 8 AM (I was there 8 30 this morning and it was basically empty). However:
    *it’s expensive. You need to bargain HARD with these guys
    *stretching space is minimal. They are reluctant to let you use kettle bells/swiss balls/ TRX gear (that’s all in the “VIP” section)
    *it can get stupid crowded in afternoons /evenings (that’s why i go early morning)

Participant

How expensive are we talking, Ray?

Also, what’s the VIP section? Do you have to pay extra to use KBs? That’s usually part of my workout at least once per week.

Also, a related question: where can I get legit protein powder in Chengdu?

Participant

There will be a new gym opening up in Chengdu, next to IFS (like 1KM due east, next to the river). It will be about 30-40000 sq meters. Will likely open in August. Not sure what kind of equipment they will have but price is about 2500 a year.

It will also dub as a martial arts center, which is why im advertising.

Participant

I am moving to Chengdu in September to study at Sichuan University for a semester. I was hoping some Crossfit style gyms would have opened by now! Jerry do you know what the name of the new gym is?

Participant

New gym will be called ‘Running Tiger.’ It will open in August. There will be crossfit there or some other form of calisthenics. If not my teammates will run a class.

There is no website for this gym yet. Still in the process of making the gym.

Participant

Hi jerry, an updates on this new gym? Cheers, Emma

Participant

It will open ‘next week’ as they say, but i highly doubt it (realistically i say in 3 weeks). Will give location soon once it opens. It’s called ‘Running Tiger.’ A cheap knock off name from Tiger Muay Thai in Thailand.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 135 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.