Working out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

HomeForumsIn ChengduWorking out in Chengdu (Fitness/Powergym)

• This topic has 134 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photocoryg.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Author

I know Brendan has just found what he describes as a great gym near SM square…

The gym Ray mentions is ‘WorldFit’, and it might just be the best equipped gym (for serious lifters) in the city. Certainly the best I’ve seen, and I’ve checked out many of the new spots opening in the last year or two. Advertised yearly rate is 2699, of which I ended up negotiating in half. Whomever has set this place up is obviously passionate about what they’re doing. They’ve even got ‘Pumping Iron’ playing on repeat on one of the screens, which coincidentally is something that Gold’s Venice was doing last time I was in there. I’m a little disappointed there’s no 45 degree leg press, but with 6 racks and enough plates to sink a ship, it’s a small gripe.

Trial Coupon

Participant

You get Pumping Iron? At Physical we get the mando-pop mega mix.

Participant

Hi, I will be arriving in Chengdu next week and will be working near the Jinke road metro station.  Can anyone recommend a gym or a swimming pool in the area?   As for a gym, Looking for some basic free weights and aerobics/yoga classes.  A pool would be dreamy.

Thanks in Advance.

Keymaster

I know Brendan has just found what he describes as a great gym near SM square…

The gym Ray mentions is ‘WorldFit’, and it might just be the best equipped gym (for serious lifters) in the city. Certainly the best I’ve seen, and I’ve checked out many of the new spots opening in the last year or two. Advertised yearly rate is 2699, of which I ended up negotiating in half. Whomever has set this place up is obviously passionate about what they’re doing. They’ve even got ‘Pumping Iron’ playing on repeat on one of the screens, which coincidentally is something that Gold’s Venice was doing last time I was in there. I’m a little disappointed there’s no 45 degree leg press, but with 6 racks and enough plates to sink a ship, it’s a small gripe. Trial Coupon

This place sounds great. SM广场 is way, way out of my way but I will cycle over there and check it out. The places near me (that I have seen, around Yulin) are poorly equipped and cost 2,000+ a year and that combination has kept me from signing up anywhere.

Participant

Hey guys sorry if this has asked before, but does anyone know of any parks or open air spaces with stuff needed to do complete body weight exercises? Like parallel bars or rings? Also, is there anyone teaching parkour here in the city?

Participant

Has anyone checked out Crossfit Tianfu? I’m moving to Chengdu in a few weeks and looking forward to joining another CF gym in China. Would love to hear from some people that have tried it out/heard of it, if possible.

Participant

I’ve trained there, it’s a great and good looking CrossFit gym. The only downside being the location, unless you don’t mind a long commute or finding a place nearby to live.

There’s another CrossFit affiliate in the south called CrossFit HuoGuo where I currently have a subscription because I got a great deal for “Open Gym only”, but it’s also far away.

I guess another downside is that legit CrossFit tends to be pricy in China. It’s the same price as the mid to high end US boxes. They’re both about $120-210/mo depending on how long of a membership you get.

CrossFit HuoGuo
    1 Month: 1399RMB
    3 Months: 3550RMB
    6 Months: 5880RMB
    12 Months: 10000RMB

I don’t have the pricelist for Tianfu but it’s slightly more expensive if I remember correctly.

Participant

Hey!

I just did a drop-in at Tianfu CF. It’s a really nice box with all equipment you could wish for and (as far as I could tell) very qualified trainers. The cost for 6 month membership is 6700 and 1400 for one month. I’d love to join them, but I feel it’s too expensive (I pay 1/3 of this in the Netherlands). I prefer this CF box over HuoGuo, due to their professionalism and ability to speak English. Still thinking about it and going to try a muay thai gym in order to make a final decision soon 😉 I want to stay fit while living in Chengdu, so I kind of need a motivating box/gym environment to do so haha.

You can add me on wechat and contact me when you get here? ID = Kimjoanne

Participant

This is all great info! Thank you both so much! Yeah, Tianfu does seem a bit expensive. It’s actually more expensive than my box here in Austin, TX…  Let me know how the Muay Thai gym is – sounds like loads of fun!

Participant

Keeping this thread alive, is there any updated info on getting protein powder in Chengdu? Is it still terribly expensive and/or of dubious origin?

Participant

I have been ordering from the Rightsun Taobao shop for years, as well as many others I know: https://ruishangtb.taobao.com/

They are the official distributor for BSN and ON brands in China. This has been confirmed by the brands’ customer service. I think that’s about as reliable as you can get in China / on Taobao.

Prices are slightly higher compared to elsewhere, but not outrageous and there’s almost always a bargain to find left or right depending on the promotions.

Another popular cheaper brand that a lot of people have been getting is MYPROTEIN. It’s also easy to find in big bags on Taobao, although I can’t recommend any shop cause I’ve never tried it.

Participant

Yeah Rightsun is legit and I’ve used them a lot too. The last year or so I’ve been sticking with JD.com and Amazon China. You can get some good deals sometimes. A few months ago i picked up some Met-Rx creatine super cheap cos the expiry date was approaching (actually it was 6 months until expiry and i used it well before then). ON is a good brand and this is not a bad price (not sure what rightsun is charging these days)
    https://item.jd.hk/1952113257.html

Also this may be useful:
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
    (myprotein does really well in their rankings).
    Another one I’ve used sometimes cos it can be really cheap and it’s reasonable quality is a brand called Olimp. A few months back on JD.com i picked up 5lbs for 238 kuai, which is a steal. They add a fair bit of junk/filler but its still good value.
    Oh yeah, that gym mentioned above, called WorldFit is awesome. I’ve joined even tho my existing membership at another place expires in 2018. I paid 1200 with some minor haggling/whining/grovelling 🙂

Participant

I’ve been using BCShop on taobao, which is based out of HK and seems legit.

https://chinamuscle.taobao.com

Participant

Hello!

Has anyone had luck with short term memberships/passes? I’m in CD for 2 weeks and ideally looking for a place that has decent platforms and olympic bars (women). Planning to stalk some nearby sports universities to see what they have on offer.

Participant

Thought I’d post this in here in case there are some people still looking for a gym. Right now Physical, which has 4 locations (IFS, Raffle City, 1 by the NiuwangMiao subway stop and one other which I don’t know where it is) is currently having some promotions which are worth checking out. A friend told me earlier today that you can get a 1 month pass for 28 RMB on 大众点评. I’d purchase it asap if your even remotely interested. My friend was using it when I spoke to him earlier today so it is legit.

The current promotions for memberships are 1200 RMB for 20 months and 2400 for 40 months. They told a friend of mine that the 1200 RMB promotion has some limitations but i don’t know what they are. One person said that you can only go to one location and another said you can only use it during certain hours. Another person said that there are no limitations so it would be advisable to talk to more than one salesperson if anything sounds shady. I paid 2400 RMB for the 40 months and can use all the clubs in Chengdu. Found out about the 1200 RMB promotion from a friend the following day. Other gyms in Chengdu have lowered their prices dramatically in the past year so there might be other great deals available. Hope this info is useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.