Workshop and Self Storage in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWorkshop and Self Storage in Chengdu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all. I searched the forum, so apologies if I missed this info in a post that exisists.

I’m in Chengdu building a theate show.

I could use some advice on a self storage space or similar.

I’d also like to use a mechanical workshop (basic tools, grinder, drils, welder)  to alter a cargo tricycle so it can be made easier to break down and ship. Alternatively a good light engineer firm – but the trike will be on stage used by perfomers so the work needs to be to a very high standard.

Thanks!

Kane.

Participant

You can rent a house or business premises for storage, most university’s have holidays now for a month so you can find premises around there for a good price, as nobody will rent now until after the holidays. Another option is to look for a place where they doing construction and the shop cant be seen from the road. Normally to rent a place you sign a 1 to 5 year rental contract but in the places mentioned they can sign for short term. Let a Chinese person negotiate the rent price. If they want to get 20 000 rmb per year they will start the price at 25 000 rmb per year and it is negotiated down. They think all foreigners are rich so if they know you will rent the place you wont get the discount.

Download google translate that can use your phone’s camera to scan the rent contract and translate it so you know what you singing.

Request a copy of the landlord’s ID card and red A5 book of proof of ownership of the property. Give the landlord a copy of your visa and passport front page.

Never used a engineering firm here and don’t know of any , I always just use the handy man from the hardware shops if i don’t have the tools to do it myself.

Participant

This is a very intersting idea. Thanks so much. With the shop version I could potentially set up temporary workshop I guess.

Is there a website to find such places? Or is it more of a wander around the construction sites looking for “for lease” signs?

As an aside – I found a local cycle building company called Natooke. They have a full workshop and do excellent work. If you’re doing cycle related things – this is a good solution.

I’d still take any light engineering recommendations.

K.

Keymaster

Handymen in the metal working shops can probably help you out. If not, I know of an American mechanical engineer here who has a workshop and builds things, he may be able to help if you can’t or don’t want to work with Chinese builders. He will cost a lot more.

Participant

Hey team. So – huge thanks for the tips and suggestions. I have resolved this – but kinda.

I couldn’t find a self storage facility I was able to access here in Chengdu. But I was able to find storage with friends and colleagues for free or tiny contribution.

However I did find a workshop. In Chengdu there is a great network of makerspaces. Community run workshops. I found FabLabChengdu. It’s free to join and members can use shared tools, workshops and studios.

You can find them on WeChat just by searching FabLabChengdu.

Love it!

Keymaster

Neat, I had not heard of that, but it sounds great. It doesn’t surprise me that there is a good DIY builder community, since there are so many of those types here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.