Worst Lunch Today

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWorst Lunch Today

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had the worse lunch experience today at home and thought to share it on this forum maybe you have had worse happen to you.

I was looking forward to Mac and Cheese and I bought a box from Carrefour a few weeks ago. So I came home after work to make my lunch and began boiling some water then put in the macaroni shells in the pot, I was stirring and noticed a few brown things floating so I looked away without paying too much attention but when I drained the pasta out the brown things were crawling so I looked in the box and it was full of tiny little brown insects I nearly puked, so I threw it all out there went my Mac and Cheese. So I decided to fry some vegetables and add tuna fish, it did not smell good and I tasted the tuna fish and it was off even the colour wasn’t good so that all went into the trash can. By this time I had to take a deep breath and thought maybe lunch wasn’t meant to happen today and ended up firstly bleaching the cupboard as who knows where these ghastly beasts came from and ended up having a bowl of cereal although paranoia about insects being in the bowl kept creeping (no pun) into my mind.

My lunch was not a good one and now I am scared about dinner, I might just eat out from now on and never open my kitchen cupboards or eat Mac and Cheese ever again.

Sweet

I take it that the Mac and Cheese wasn’t sealed. Never a good idea to leave food exposed. Plenty of experience with roaches, rats, and fruit flies in China. There’s also fuzzy mold growing on my windows.

Keymaster

I got food poisoning from a seafood sandwich at Subway a few weeks ago (stupid half-price sandwich of the day on Saturday!), but your lunch sounds pretty bad. At least you caught it before eating anything.

I have to keep my kitchen really clean or there will be insects in the summer. I’ve had mice before also, but I borrowed a cat for a few weeks and that took care of that problem.

Quote:
    when I drained the pasta out the brown things were crawling

They survived boiling water?

Participant

@Sweet: Nasty! Sorry!

Quote:
    I got food poisoning from a seafood sandwich at Subway

I learned from a Subway employee AMA, NEVER eat the seafood sandwich.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I learned from a Subway employee AMA, NEVER eat the seafood sandwich.

Wish I had learned that. For the record, I would never order that specifically, it’s the sandwich of the day on Saturday and I was in my office that Saturday by chance. I get the sandwich of the day on weekdays sometimes and have never had a problem. Years in Asia and the first time I get food poisoning it’s goddamn Subway that gets me.

Participant

Seafood or tuna, stay away from those. I remember a former employee would tell me how he made their tunas’… Yea, not for the faint of ears!

I know I shouldn’t eat the tuna, but the Chinese genes in me crave the excessive amount of mayonnaise they put in there to mask the taste of the poor quality tuna.

Participant
    Quote:
    I got food poisoning from a seafood sandwich at Subway a few weeks ago (stupid half-price sandwich of the day on Saturday!)

Apparently Subway has a pretty bad food hygiene habit. My boyfriend once got food poisoning from a ham sandwich there! :/

Sounds horrible Sweet, sorry you had such an awful lunch. But to be fair it is cheese, a.k.a. the worst food substance in the world. The Chinese genes in me reject every form of dairy there is (apart from cheesecake).

Participant

You can try my fav sub of all time… When you go to subway, ask them to gut the white bread in the oven 2 times. When it comes out, perfect golden crisp. Next ask for peperoni with double meat. That is it. If you are a pepperoni person, this sub is perfect! If only it were boar’s head quality though….

This sub beats any in my opinion. No cheese, veggies or sause, those will kills the quality!

Participant

Meatball marinara FTW, with all the veggies!

Isn’t it common knowledge just how bad Subway really is!? I’ve heard so many first hand stories of food poisoning from their food, on top of having fallen foul along with an ex girlfriend years ago when we ended up with no choice but Subway late one night in Vancouver. Both went for a chicken sub, both ended up sick as hell for 2 days afterward. Even without the bad food handling, it’s barely legit food as it is.

Participant

Hmm.. That sucks that you guys have bad exp from Subway. Subway’s HQ is in my home state (Milford CT to be exact), i guess i have nothing but good things from them when i am home. Though, i had a few bad exp here from them in CD… Def not the same quality as in CT.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Isn’t it common knowledge just how bad Subway really is!?

No, I don’t think so. It seems pretty popular everywhere I go, actually. I saw far more Subway’s than McDonalds on a road trip across the US last year and it seems pretty well-loved in China, too.

Participant

Charlie I am not sure if the insects were dead or alive when I drained the macaroni out from the boiled water as I was freaking out they probably were dead but the ones in the box were alive and kicking. Chris the box was sealed shut as I opened it today because it was going to expire next week and now I am thinking were the insects already there or did they come from my kitchen cabinet one for Sherlock I think. I will be going shopping and buying plenty of air tight containers and am off Mac and Cheese for good.

Participant

First time I experienced ‘Subway’ was here in Penang. Recommended by hotel staff. The food is really fresh, clean and tasty.

On the other hand, the KFC here is definitely not as good as the one in Huayang. I suppose a lot depends on the managers. Had some nice treats in little India. Street food. But.. the best food here is at the Adventist hospital. The best treat is not hearing about Hooters!!

Participant

Sweet, the “insects” in your macaroni are probably a species of weevil. Sailors used to tap their ship’s biscuits to get rid of them. They eat their way through packaging and can infest foods such as flour, rice, biscuits and even some spices. Airtight containers will not stop them if they can eat their way through.

Another Chengdu pest is the larvae of the flour moth – the moths lay their eggs near the packet or carton and the tiny larvae wriggles its way inside the smallest openings. Containers that you think are airtight are not necessarily. Thankfully the adult moths are easily killed with a mosquito spray. The weevils can only be eliminated by destroying ALL food that you think is would have infested.

I never get any grief from cockroaches.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.